Heel and Toe

Yes :) now let me explain before you all come in here thinking i'm a bit of a knob (Idiot) I've driven cars and lorries and I've raced on console. I've watched motorsport live and on TV, I'm now sim racing on PC and thoroughly enjoying it but GUESS WHAT!!!!!!!!!!! I'm doing it all wrong!!! I have my omega rig my TX wheel my gearshifter my 29inch screen blah blah but that all amounts to **** lol If I'm not doing it right. I've heard it mentioned on here about heel and toe and thought it was some form of ritual dance you all did before a race ;-) I'm now having to learn how to drive using this technique and it's made it a lot more fun I can tell you. Just one other question though, would I be heeling and toeing with a sequential shifter as well as paddles. Thank you

To increase the immersion and realism, I try to drive as the technology of the car in question, for example: FExtreme, Freiza, Stock Car, I use the paddles with auto-clutch. For cars like FVee, FRetro, Mini, manual gears and without auto-lift and auto-blip. Heel and toe with paddles may be possible, but in my opinion it would be unreal.

To increase the immersion and realism, I try to drive as the technology of the car in question, for example: FExtreme, Freiza, Stock Car, I use the paddles with auto-clutch. For cars like FVee, FRetro, Mini, manual gears and without auto-lift and auto-blip. Heel and toe with paddles may be possible, but in my opinion it would be unreal.
That's interesting, I was under the impression that F1 and other paddle shift cars only had 2 pedals brake and accelerator/gas. My thoughts on heel and toe are brake with your left foot and obviously accelerate with your right then control both in bends etc?

Its as Wesley said. Its only really needed on certain cars usually older ones with manual boxes, it is about trying to match the engine speed so the downshift is nice and smooth and does not induce the rear wheels to lock.

The maestro, note you need brown slip on shoes to do it correctly ;)

That's interesting, I was under the impression that F1 and other paddle shift cars only had 2 pedals brake and accelerator/gas. My thoughts on heel and toe are brake with your left foot and obviously accelerate with your right then control both in bends etc?

well it depends .. some of them have clutch that is used for start (take off) only and you don`t use it for shifting (most GT3 cars) , some don`t have clutch pedal at all (Formula Tatuus 1600) and some have clutch paddles on steering wheel (F1) ...

what you though was H&T (i guess) is another technique used mostly in frontwheel drive cars (mostly on fwd rally cars) when while braking and locking rear wheel (brake bias set to rear) you are keeping your revs up and ballancing car with throttle to gain better turning (inducing oversteer) .. or with cars when you are trying to minimalize delay for turbo to kick in ..

The way Ayrton uses the throttle is interesting. He is constantly on and off the throttle through the corner making tiny adjustments whereas you think he would try to be smoother. Probably comes from driving turbo cars trying to keep it spooled up, its like he is using the throttle to balance/position the car.

Jackie Stuart would tell you not to get on the throttle unless you knew you could stay on it.

I think he knew what he was doing though.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 235 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 231 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 294 13.3%