Head tracking

Greame Champion

Technomaniac
Original poster
Premium
Sep 6, 2014
hi all,
I have been looking at getting some head tracking but not sure what way to go. I play sims on my tv at a distance of about 130 cm using playseat challenge with. T300 wheel. From my small bit of research it looks like trackir could be best but I also like tobi eye tracker. The tobi itracker says that my distance is to great plus I wear glasses so not sure it will work for me. Is it worth getting as I do not want vr and use single screen.
Many thanks Greame

maelstrom

500RPM
Jul 6, 2017
For the cheapest workable system, try Opentrack with an Aruco tracker. It should work well enough with a basic webcam in a well-lit room. Webcams with higher framerates work best. I use a home-made system based on Opentrack (open-source/free) but with a modified webcam and a home-made LED hat clip. The whole setup cost less than 20 UK pounds and having compared it to TrackIR 5, there's no noticeable difference in performance.

Reactions: Greame Champion

maelstrom

500RPM
Jul 6, 2017
I use facetracknoir with an old ps3 motion camera works great and costs less than £10.
I used FaceTrackNoIR for a long time before I tried Opentrack and liked it. I never used it purely for face tracking, but always with the PointTracker plugin and an LED clip. However, when I tried Opentrack I felt that it was more responsive. FaceTrackNoIR always appeared to be damped a little no matter what settings I used where Opentrack seems to respond instantaneously. The other big advantage of Opentrack is that you can use it with an Aruco tracker which gives a good (and free) compromise between purely face tracking and using LEDs.

Reactions: Greame Champion

Jeremy Ford

500RPM
Premium
Apr 28, 2016
I finally got around to test the Aruco marker head tracking and it's actually damn good. Really quite impressive for such simple method.

Reactions: Insert Coin