Head tracking

Greame Champion

Technomaniac
hi all,
I have been looking at getting some head tracking but not sure what way to go. I play sims on my tv at a distance of about 130 cm using playseat challenge with. T300 wheel. From my small bit of research it looks like trackir could be best but I also like tobi eye tracker. The tobi itracker says that my distance is to great plus I wear glasses so not sure it will work for me. Is it worth getting as I do not want vr and use single screen.
Many thanks Greame

For the cheapest workable system, try Opentrack with an Aruco tracker. It should work well enough with a basic webcam in a well-lit room. Webcams with higher framerates work best. I use a home-made system based on Opentrack (open-source/free) but with a modified webcam and a home-made LED hat clip. The whole setup cost less than 20 UK pounds and having compared it to TrackIR 5, there's no noticeable difference in performance.

Upvote 0
I use facetracknoir with an old ps3 motion camera works great and costs less than £10.

I used FaceTrackNoIR for a long time before I tried Opentrack and liked it. I never used it purely for face tracking, but always with the PointTracker plugin and an LED clip. However, when I tried Opentrack I felt that it was more responsive. FaceTrackNoIR always appeared to be damped a little no matter what settings I used where Opentrack seems to respond instantaneously. The other big advantage of Opentrack is that you can use it with an Aruco tracker which gives a good (and free) compromise between purely face tracking and using LEDs.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 247 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.8%
  • < 5 years