RaceDepartment Store

Who will win the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix?

• Max Verstappen

Votes: 923 49.8%
  • Lewis Hamilton

Votes: 800 43.1%
  • Other Driver

Votes: 132 7.1%

Upcoming Events

AC events on Simracing.GP ACC events on Simracing.GP R3E events on Simracing.GP Weekly rFactor 2 events Join TCR Virtual today!

HE Ultimate+ or BJ Simracing Hydraulic pedals sets?

lhutchy

Premium
I am after people help. I am looking to upgrade from the Fanatec V3, and trying to decide between the new HE Ultimate + or the BJ Simracing hydraulic pedal sets. The BJ sim set are cheaper but HE's have been a tried and true performer. The reason I am upgrading is I have reached the limit of adjustment of the V3's. I am looking for more brake travel and more stiffer throttle. I am very heavy footed so I struggle with the fine control of trail braking and throttle control.

This is not a debate about how much they cost just on performance. Thanks for the help in advance.

Last edited:

stigs2cousin

Premium
Theres alot of tests and reviews out there for the Heusinkvelds, Boosted Media has a video on the BJ´s.

From personal experience I can say the HSV quality is top notch in engineering and fabrication and they are world champions in customer service. ( I´ve been using Sprints for a few month now)

I have no personal experience with the BJ´s, but am a bit suspicious about the long time stability of the hydraulics.
This is triggerd by several reports of hydraulic cylinders being or becoming leaky.
Brake fluid is no fun to spill in the workshop, I don´t want it spilled in my game room.
To date its unclear if thats a problem of "budget" components or if the automotive parts don´t stand up in our living rooms.

So do a lot of research and draw your own conclusions,

MFG Carsten

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry for the slight thread hijack, but can someone explain to me how hydraulic brake pedals give a more realistic braking feel? I assumed that the travel and 'feel' are determined by the rubber spacers, which is surely the same on the load cell pedals. Happy to be educated!

Upvote 0

stigs2cousin

Premium
Sorry for the slight thread hijack, but can someone explain to me how hydraulic brake pedals give a more realistic braking feel? I assumed that the travel and 'feel' are determined by the rubber spacers, which is surely the same on the load cell pedals. Happy to be educated!

From where i stand that seems not completely true.

The average loadcell pedal uses a leverage system to "translate" the movement of your foot to compression of the rubbers.
Some high end pedals use hydraulic dampers to smooth out this movement.
Still it´s a direct mechanical connection, even stacks of rubber and and the utilisation of spring/stop systems to simulate pad to disc travel are just that: simulations.

On a hydraulicly actuated pedal you have a "real" hydraulic system that works exactly like in your car:

the brake pedal moves the master cylinder which "produces" hydraulic pressure in the brake fluid.
This pressure moves the slave cylinder which then compresses the rubbers.
Brake force is measured by a pressure sensor in the hydraulic system.

So contrary to the mechanical pedal you have the play between pedal lever and master cylinder piston, the feel of the fluid moving, the "bulging" of the brake line and the compression feel of the rubbers.

When comparing my Heusinkveld Sprints with the (modified) brake in my street cat they feel quite different.

BUT:

I think is only important when " dry humping" the brake pedal.
When in action with my street car or a simulation car the important thing is that the brake works dependable and predictable. So when aproaching a corner you will find the correct brake pressure and release just from (muscle) memory.

And thats what the Heusinkvelds do for me.

Do I sometimes dream of a hydraulic brake pedal?
Yes, just the same as I´d like to look out of the window and see a yellow Cayman GT4 instead of an orange GT86.

Do I need one of them? ( could I afford one of them?)

Hell NO.

MFG Carsten

Upvote 0
From where i stand that seems not completely true.

The average loadcell pedal uses a leverage system to "translate" the movement of your foot to compression of the rubbers.
Some high end pedals use hydraulic dampers to smooth out this movement.
Still it´s a direct mechanical connection, even stacks of rubber and and the utilisation of spring/stop systems to simulate pad to disc travel are just that: simulations.

On a hydraulicly actuated pedal you have a "real" hydraulic system that works exactly like in your car:

the brake pedal moves the master cylinder which "produces" hydraulic pressure in the brake fluid.
This pressure moves the slave cylinder which then compresses the rubbers.
Brake force is measured by a pressure sensor in the hydraulic system.

So contrary to the mechanical pedal you have the play between pedal lever and master cylinder piston, the feel of the fluid moving, the "bulging" of the brake line and the compression feel of the rubbers.

When comparing my Heusinkveld Sprints with the (modified) brake in my street cat they feel quite different.

BUT:

I think is only important when " dry humping" the brake pedal.
When in action with my street car or a simulation car the important thing is that the brake works dependable and predictable. So when aproaching a corner you will find the correct brake pressure and release just from (muscle) memory.

And thats what the Heusinkvelds do for me.

Do I sometimes dream of a hydraulic brake pedal?
Yes, just the same as I´d like to look out of the window and see a yellow Cayman GT4 instead of an orange GT86.

Do I need one of them? ( could I afford one of them?)

Hell NO.

MFG Carsten
Good post ! :thumbsup:

So if I understand you it means that the "the play between pedal lever and master cylinder piston, the feel of the fluid moving, the "bulging" of the brake line and the compression feel of the rubbers" makes a difference in feel with the HE sprints but not when driving in the sim?

(I have the HE Ultimate and they are actually pretty good in terms of immersion when playing in the sim)

Upvote 0

stigs2cousin

Premium
Exactly.

(damn, just typed a novel in the other thread. :rolleyes:)

I think the only definite answer can be by test driving a hydraulic set for a race.

MFG Carsten

Upvote 0
Our Latest Video

Check out the latest video of the official RaceDepartment Youtube Channel.
Don't forget to subscribe!

Subscribe