HDMI to DISPLAYPORT Active Converter

M D Gourley

Premium
Hello everyone,
On my quest to find an HDMI to Displayport Adapter / Cable etc so I could utilize the HDMI port on my GPU ( which only has 2 Displayports:mad::rolleyes:...lol) and Displayport connection on my new AOC 27V2Q monitors for a Triple Screen set up, I came across this little unit and thought I would give it ago as it was available at my local PC Store.
Well it Worked!! (short answer),but not without some problems / criteria that I was hoping it would give me...being able to have 'FreeSync' as with my other Displayport cables connected to my 2 ports on my GPU and monitors...or a least give me the 75Hz my new AOC 27V2Q monitors are capable of.
Sadly it did not allow 'FreeSync' to be activated or give me the 75Hz as it was limited to 60Hz:confused::thumbsdown::speechless:
and although this Startech HDMI to Displayport Active Converter does work there are some limitations as I see it.
So the unit would possibly be for those with a Playstation or X-Box with HDMI out connections or other device with HDMI out that want to connect to a monitor with a Displayport connection and have limited 60Hz
Side Note: I purchased this in my own country expecting to be able to plug it in to my home wall socket, there was not a correct Plug attachment provided in the box for me to do this:mad: and went back to the PC store and purchased a 'Switchmode Regulated Plugpack' just to get it working:rolleyes::mad:...just to find It does, but not want I was wanting:O_o::roflmao::rolleyes:
P.S. I did also try an HDMI to DVI adapter connected to a DVI to Displayport Cable:confused:..surely this would work...sadly 'No Signal':rolleyes::roflmao:
3 STARTECH HDMI to DISPLAYPORT ACTIVE CONVERTER unit HDMI copy.jpg
4 STARTECH HDMI to DISPLAYPORT ACTIVE CONVERTER unit DISPLAYPORT copy.jpg
5 STARTECH HDMI to DISPLAYPORT ACTIVE CONVERTER unit CABLES copy.jpg
1 STARTECH HDMI to DISPLAYPORT ACTIVE CONVERTER box copy.jpg
2 STARTECH HDMI to DISPLAYPORT ACTIVE CONVERTER box INSIDE.jpg

Last edited:
HDMI version on most gpu (or was it on monitors) is limited to 60Hz, why did you use a active converter (same result with a cable)?

DVI is 120Hz, there some active converter is needed, tried with cable and same result as you.

Upvote 0
HDMI version on most gpu (or was it on monitors) is limited to 60Hz, why did you use a active converter (same result with a cable)?

DVI is 120Hz, there some active converter is needed, tried with cable and same result as you.
Thank you for your response...because I am a noob, non - tech person so I did not realize HDMI was limited to 60Hz as stated in my original post;)...could have saved myself some money if I researched it a little more:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
It's more a less a jungle :D, from wiki:

upload_2019-10-28_20-41-13.png

GPU
upload_2019-10-28_20-41-45.png

Monitor (example, expensive ASUS ROG)
upload_2019-10-28_20-42-18.png

Your AOC display
upload_2019-10-28_20-44-22.png

But then running triples will create some other limits as well, so it's an simplified statement when I say HDMI 60Hz, but I have done the same before as well...:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back