HD Mirrors mod/file?

Does anyone have an HD Mirrors mod / file I can use? I saw one called "hi res mirrors" with I think 7 different files up to a res of around 7000 x XXXX but the 2 or 3 links no longer work.

I've searched a lot online and can't find anything :(

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I think I found 1 a couple days ago. Is 8192x512 the correct aspect ratio (16:1) for RF1 mirrors? I read that SCE/AMS uses a different mirror aspect ratio than RF1 and that 16:1 is the aspect ratio of SCE/AMS mirrors.

In the link I posted, see attached mirror.zip file in post #5. It has the mirror file, size is 2048x128 which is 16:1. You can create a higher resolution by doubling or quadrupling the size of the file but it might be unnecessarily taxing on the GPU especially if you are running HD 1920x1080. Are you running 8K?

I'm running 3x 1440p (7680x1440) in 3D (Nvidia 3D Vision). If 8192*512 is too demanding, I'll try lower ones (7168*448, 6144*384, 5120*320, etc.).

Now that I have the correct image file, I should be able to easily figure out how to resize it using a simple program (eg. Microsoft Pain) or an online image converter tool.

Do any of you guys know any HD skies? I have 3 different packs but, while better than the vanilla RF1 skies, they still look quite low res and everything looks too big. I think it's because I play in 1440p. It's strange that the skies do not scale in resolution, everything else does (vehicle, circuit, objects, buildings, etc.). A perfect example is the night time sky, the stars look like very large squares instead of small circles.

Ah ok, try out Gimp for resizing the image. It has similar features as photoshop but it's free. Works well for skins/liveries as well. Sorry don't have any resources for higher resolution skies. These might help.

You might be able to use these

Ah ok, try out Gimp for resizing the image. It has similar features as photoshop but it's free. Works well for skins/liveries as well. Sorry don't have any resources for higher resolution skies. These might help.

You might be able to use these
Thanks. I have that sky pack as well as one from Hudson Kerr and one more I can't remember and they all look really bad. I have a feeling the problem is the higher the resolution you run the game at, the bigger the sky's image becomes - similiar to stretching out a 800x450 image on a 1920x1080 TV, the 800x450 image will look very bad. You know what I mean?

GRAB_023.jpg

dfgdfg.jpg
GRAB_007.jpg
GRAB_008.jpg

Make sure to click on the pics for full-screen. Look at all the pixels/artifacts in the sky. It looks terrible...

I think the problem may be the sky files being too low resolution. They skies are 2048x2048 images. I tried re-sizing them to 4096x4096 but that just makes them look worse because you're blowing-up an image to a larger size.

I have downloaded many very high-resolution 360 degree panorama skies. I have re-sized them to either 4096x4096 or 8192x8192. The problem is when I try to turn the image into a circle, the centre of the image looks all pinched in and distorted. I can't figure out how to do it without the distortion.

Last edited:
Did you try NFS Skies pack?
Just downloaded them, thanks.

The NFS skies are unfortunately just like the rest of the sky packs I've tried, lots of pixelation / artifacting. It seems the problem is the sky pictures all seem to be 2048x2048 resolution and nothing higher.

Does any one know of 4096x4096 (or larger) skies?

Last edited:
Must be something on your end, cause they look fantastic for me. There's a sky making tut on simscreens BlogSpot. But I'm not sure if the video still works.
My install is pretty new. I doubt it's something on my end. What resolution and FOV are you using?

I watched the tutorial but unfortunately the text on his screen are really low quality in the video and I therefore can't read anything he's doing in Photoshop, plus, I don't have Photoshop. I downloaded Paint.net (all sorts of panoramic polar plugins) and GIMP but this is the best I can do...
I can't seem to do it without the pinching/distortion in the middle.

352305146.jpg

P.S. I've taken a better look at the NFS skies. They do seem a bit better quality with less noticeable pixelation/artifacts than the other 3 sky packs I tried. I can make do with them. Thanks for the heads-up, james.

Last edited:
What you might be able to do is resize these images up to the pixel size you're after and then apply a number of blending and smoothing/sharpening filters on it to remove some of the pixelation. There are a number of channels on youtube that do quick tutorials with many different paint programs on how to up the resolution of a low resolution image. I'm not an expert at it but I watched one before and the results turned out pretty good. For something like the moon you may need to find a high res image of it and paste it over the existing one because you're unlikely to get anymore detail out of the lower res image for that.

I have many beautiful and very high res horizontal (rectangular) 360 panorama sky images that I can downscale to 4096x4096 or even higher. I just need to find the right program and settings to change them to a circle like my image above but without the centre-distortion. That'll produce very high quality results.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 291 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 200 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 252 13.3%