Having a weird issue with AC, please help!

Gelly916

Premium
Hey folks, I'm having a very weird issue with AC that just recently started happening. I'll list my PC specs just to give all information -

1080ti @ not overclocked
8700k @ 4.9 GHz
32MB RAM @ 3200 MHz
PSU = Evga 750 80+ gold

So anyways, a couple days ago I noticed my FPS was really bad. I play strictly in VR using Steam VR with the Valve index. I originally thought it had something to do with the app, "camber extravaganza" because when I used the app during practice (only myself on track) I was getting horrible FPS, like down in the 70s. I have my VR settings dialed in very nicely, and really am locked in at 90 fps with up to 23 other cars on track.

So I started off by deleting "camber extravaganza" but the issue persists. I am using the latest versions of SOL and CSP. I tried reinstalling CSP and the issue persists. The only thing that fixes the issue is resetting my entire system. I know the issue is a CPU issue as I have looked at the Steam VR FPS charts and its showing "late start" for my frames via the CPU. I also notice that the game takes much longer to load when I start a race. Another weird issue that comes up is when I scroll to the right of the screen while on track, and bring the app taskbar up, my FPS goes down greatly, into the 50s, and when I take my mouse off the taskbar, my FPS returns to its (still crappy) but normal numbers. None of these problems exist when AC is running normally, and I get great FPS practically all the time.

When the issue is occurring in regular AC, I will start another game, just to see if the problem spans multiple titles, and it does not. Other games work perfectly fine, with normal FPS, but as soon as I start AC, my FPS is terrible. I have also ran system checks on user benchmark and the results always come back the same, whether AC is running well or terribly.

I'm convinced that the problem lies somewhere within AC. Like I said, I can restart my computer anytime, hop in AC, and my FPS is stable across the board. I've tried to manually cause the issue by changing settings, installing/reinstalling mods, and activating/deactivating apps, but I cannot get the issue to replicate itself in a consistent manner. I also tried to use AC on just my monitor, without VR, and the issue is the same. I am running the latest version of windows 10 as well as the latest Nvidia drivers.

Guys, I'm stumped. I've been working on this for hours and cannot figure it out. I'm curious if it had something to do with a windows update, perhaps I can rollback to a previous version? Any and all help is very much appreciated! I just want AC to be running buttery smooth again, like it was last week!

copied from my reply to your post on CSP discord -

I am experiencing the same issue as you. wish I had some advice.
I've gutted CSP and SOL to the best of my ability and even with all extra fx off, nearly everything reset or disabled, my game wont crack 65fps.
previously I was achieving a relatively steady ~80fps with peaks well into the 100s without an fps cap.
and that was with nearly every feature enabled
I've noticed that AC does not pull 100% GPU usage either. something's not right.

Same issues for me, I updated Nvidia GeForce and selected optimise, I'm back to high FPS.

With all due respect, I find that hard to believe. The settings that GeForce can see and edit are the vanilla gfx settings. With CSP and all of it's integrations and changes, I can't see how that would help anything, if not make things stop working. I'm happy to be proven wrong, though.

copied from my reply to your post on CSP discord -

I am experiencing the same issue as you. wish I had some advice.
I've gutted CSP and SOL to the best of my ability and even with all extra fx off, nearly everything reset or disabled, my game wont crack 65fps.
previously I was achieving a relatively steady ~80fps with peaks well into the 100s without an fps cap.
and that was with nearly every feature enabled
I've noticed that AC does not pull 100% GPU usage either. something's not right.

Well at least it's not just me. I'm just wondering if it's a windows update that did this or is it a problem with AC itself. I really don't want to completely remove AC and start from scratch.

Well at least it's not just me. I'm just wondering if it's a windows update that did this or is it a problem with AC itself. I really don't want to completely remove AC and start from scratch.

Obviously it's a common card, but I'm also running a 1080ti. Doubt it's related, but worth mentioning.

BTW, did this happen after you tried using the latest CSP preview? That's when it kicked off for me. I'm not using it now of course, but that's when it started. Hence gutting CSP and SOL to try and rid the issue.

Obviously it's a common card, but I'm also running a 1080ti. Doubt it's related, but worth mentioning.

BTW, did this happen after you tried using the latest CSP preview? That's when it kicked off for me. I'm not using it now of course, but that's when it started. Hence gutting CSP and SOL to try and rid the issue.

I am running the latest version of CSP. I tried reverting back to the last "recommended" version but no luck. I've tried deleting my Assetto Corsa document folder as well with no luck. I tried changing the "full screen optimization" setting in acs.exe properties and that did nothing as well. I literally do not know what else to do. I really don't want to run a steam integrity check as I don't want my mods to be messed with, but I'm thinking that's the next step.

I've had very similar issues with a 2070 Super equipped Ryzen 3600 using a Samsung Odyssey but not used AC long enough to say that it used to be OK or not. It seems to be somewhat track specific and only manifests itself with high car numbers (either AI or live servers). See my thread here:

Its still not fixed but what has helped is removing SOL and using NaturalMod's VR profile for PP instead, plus some or all of these:

Disable nVidia overlay in nVidia Experience
In CM CSP settings - Graphics I set both LOD sliders to 50% and ticked all the LOD settings boxes
In CM CSP settings - General Patch I set the option to prevent AC from altering thread affinity

Last edited:
There was a hint in another thread like this, that, if your game has caused enough errors (crashing), Windows might be turning on some debug features automatically to try to make it crash less, which significantly slow how fast it's allowed to use the CPU.

I've found a solution, at least for myself.

Underclock/power limit the GPU. I have MSI afterburner set to limits of 93%/81C, with stock memory and core clock speeds. Now I can run everything where I had it set before, using a frame limit at 77FPS and it is quite stable there.

Hey folks, sorry I did not write back sooner but I think I fixed my issue. I basically did a steam integrity check but not in the typical manner. I changed the name of my AC root folder, as well as the document folder. I reinstalled AC so I had a vanilla copy. The issue persisted with that vanilla copy.

So at that point, I uninstalled the vanilla copy, renamed my modded version back to its original name, as well as the documents folder, and then reinstalled AC a 2nd time. I knew this would overwrite files and I was unsure if I'd lose anything mod related. Turns out I only lost my sound mods, just like if I would have done a regular steam files integrity check. Luckily I had created a document listing all the sound mods I was using, so reinstalling all the mods was very easy.

Anyways, the game is running great again. I'm starting to think that some core files were corrupted. Someone on this thread mentioned that maybe it was an accumulation of errors that made my AC run like crap. I think that is the culprit, as I was receiving errors on almost every other race. I still am receiving some errors when I exit a race, but if the problem comes up again, I think I'll be able to fix it quickly with a steam files integrity check.

I'm a happy camper once again

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 244 15.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 166 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 160 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 121 7.5%
  • < 5 years