Have Your Say: Your Favourite Era of Formula One Racing

Yeah it would have been 70, Rindt was driving in that pic and he died in September that year :( And Funnily enough Aintree is about 3 miles down the road from me haha
Thought it was around then.
Wow you're closer than me! My closest is 3 Sisters really but thats a Kart Track so doesnt really count.
Though they do have a F1 car.

in général 70's/80's but 1975 for the all name of Legends and big season
Fittipaldi, Scheckter, Dépailler, Ickx, Lauda, Jabouille, Regazzoni, Reutemann, Hunt, Pescarolo, Andretti, Hill, Laffite, Pace,etc...:p

late 80's early 90's for me, since 85 till 95 I don't car if nowadays they are a tenth of a seocnd apart, when i'm on a race track i do not care if they are practicing or racing, it's the spectacularity of the machine, passing by. That era was the best for me,

I've just watched/watching F1 seasons from the 70's to currently at Canada 2013 in order (online), over the past few weeks. While I drive along (in sims/games).

1990-1994 cars are most of my favorites. Just something about being able to see the driver and the shape/beauty of the cars with my favorite F1 drivers.

Next would be after the transition to the high nose concept during the V10, grooved tire era. The engine sounds, the liveries were just amazing. Some great competition between teams as well. I would have to say these were the most enjoyable to drive (in AMS).

As a gamer, I also like the current "standardized" F1 track era. It's really enjoyable to watch the real drivers and then drive these virtual tracks. But the recent V6 turbo cars are garbage (until 2017).

the pre turbo and turbo era. from 75 to 87. best drivers, Villeneuve, Lauda, Petterson, Senna, Mansell, Piquet, cars different in engine and some sense of 'magic', and unexpected ideas were able to change everything in a while.

The Era schumacher, hill, villeneuve, hakkinen, coulthard. Not to forget those great 2nd drivers with eddie 'spaghetti' irvine and rubens barrichello :D

edit : ofcourse the cars aswell, brutal roaring engines :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I'm not that long in the F1 world but I think the most exciting year for me was 2010 Vettels first F1 championship with Alonso as his rival and the screaming V8's:rolleyes:

From late 70s till early 90s. Privateer teams were going strong during that period, lot's of crazy experimenting with technology especially in the early part of the period and interesting looking and sounding cars. Sport was perhaps not that professional and tightly controlled as it is today, but it had that much more feeling in it. It at least felt that it wasn't that much of engineers running the show with all the strategies and telemetry, but a man and machine fight with lot's of gasoline (and cigarette :D) smell in the air.

Well..

1979 with the 2 ferraris of Scheckter and Villeneuve.. the 312t4 was a beautiful car.
1982 because of the beautiful ferrari 126c2 #27 but we know what happened next.

Then 1984 because of the Monaco Gp with a young brazilian that did magic with a Toleman.

1985 to 1994 because the cars were looking superbe.. the sound and the battles with all great drivers.. Mansell, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Berger etc..

the 96 to 99 seasons were good too with the beautiful williams fw18 and fw19.

and finally 05-06 Alonso's World Championships.

But i really prefer 79 to 82 and 85 to 94 bc here in Canada Gilles Villeneuve is our hero and because i am a big big fan of Senna

Last edited:
I'm probably one of two people who really likes the modern era of F1. I find watching old races you feel so separated from what's going on. Now we have a great combination of some very intriguing rivalries, decent enough looking cars, and an unmatched viewer experience.

Now, if it's as far as sim racing, can't get enough of those 60's and 70's F1 cars. :D

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back