Have Your Say: Why Do You Enjoy Sim Racing?

My history is kind of sad, in fact...lol. But well, we are sharing experiences, so what the heck, why not. :)

Yeah, I have to admit, that Motorsport ruined my life. That´s how much I love it.
Fell in love for it watching F1 in the late 80s and early 90s. Around 12 years old I was. To be honest, I never looked back. My life since then is all around racing, being racing go karts, or Simulators, or watching in the TV.
Because of this blind passion, I never pursued a real life normal career. Coundt find motivation to do a proper graduation, and never really wanted. My focus was to be a racing driver, period. Nothing else was important. Girls only for sex eventually, no parties, just living because of this thrill. I played that Sega title, Super Monaco GP, under sheets and pillows to imagine I was in a cockpit! Of course, looking back, never was going to happen. No money, no suppport from anyone, just my pure desire, but completely clueless of what to do. This was the time, more or less, that I found about Simracing more seriously, with that Grand Prix 1 (GP1) title. I was in love with that game. I didnt had a PC back then, so I had to play in a friend´s house, and in the school I could not think in anything else but to go play it again. Jesus, I was doomed...
Around 17 years old, the chance to get involved presented itself. I did a GoKart driving school (Mommy sponsor!!) to learn basic driving techniques...and I did well, teacher was impressed, called me a natural. Soon after this they had to put me in one of their karts for a race, which happened, nothing special, the structure was just too small. Was not meant to be. I remember that I raced in the same class as Vitor Meira, and also Nelson Piquet Jr was in a junior class that day. Those guys went to have international careers, so even by that time they had good sponsors and great structure.
But real life is a bitch. My family went destruction mode after my parents had divorce, which was not a love and peace one, not even close. It have implications to this day, actually.
1 official go kart racing under my belt, had to give up. Couple of years later, had to fight a chronical disease for several years ahead until got it under control. Was a harsh time. Eventually I recovered, but to this day I have to keep an eye on it, because it is a permanent condition.
By then I had to find myself a job, and try to live a normal life. Went away from the racing scene for a bit, only watching. And then started to become interested again in Simracing, with GP2, then GP3. Lots of hours keyboard racing dreaming and making fictional seasons!. My dream was to be Mika Hakkinen! lol.
When in 2004, already a "mature" and working man, a group of friends got together to do small gokart racing 1 time each month, in rental go karts. Was enough to light the fire again, and this time, it really catched...
After 3 months my friends were happy to race 1 time a month, sometimes not even that. Not me, no.
I had my own money, so I decided to dive head full down in racing again. This time for "hobby", but the truth is...my work was a way for me to race. From 2005 to 2010, I did like thousand of gokart races, lots of on track training, lots of championships that I got involved...was a crazy but rewarding time, because, I was living the dream, at least kind of. At that point was not about a career anymore, but to do racing all the time possible. Was rewarding, because I proved to myself that yeah, I could had done. I earned respect from the best drivers of my city, I was feared (specially in wet conditions!), I won many races, some championships, and trophies started to pile up in my house, to a extent I could no longer keep them organized...lol. Today they are a bunch of things throwed along the way to my bed. I raced the National brazilian championship for Rental Karts 4 times, reaching the final 2 times. So was a good period of my life, probably the best. Of course, the life outsite of racing? Almost 0!
In the mean time, 2 friends, fellow kart racers, presented me rFactor 1. That was life changing for me. I started with very cheap equipment (embarassing in fact, but I never wanted to use a joystick, no way in hell!), and worked my way from there. I remember that when I started to master the driving techniques for the Simracing scene, I was impressed. We had a DTM 2005 race, me and those 2 friends, plus like 15 AIs, at Hidden Valley...and the adrenaline rush was so crazy that I thought..."Jesus, I felt this more than I felt on our Gokart races". Was a turning point. Still I was more focused on my gokart moments.
But again real life got in the way. Lost my Mom in 2008, and had to change priorities, had to search a new job, moved to other city for a while (in 2011, eventually got back in 2012), so the gokart days are now behind me. To be honest, I dont miss it too much, I had all I needed that time. 2009 and 2010 were difficult years in Karting for me, financially specially, so was more of a downhill, even because I was not so attached anymore.
But the Simracing stayed. Now, after rF1...AMS, Assetto, rF2, those are my new addictions.
To me is about driving techiniques. Im not a particular fan of cars, mechanics, aerodinamics...but Im totally into driving techniques. Be able to drive different cars, in different tracks, against people from all over the world, is something quite unique. Yeah, my thrill comes from online racing, most of the time. I like Championships, long term commitments! One or two 4fun races is fine, but I like the long term thing, the result of several races. And I like historic cars, those are my favourites! The ones you have to talk with it while driving, one understanding what the other is "saying".
Make no mistake, nothing compares to the real life racing. Hurting your ribs jumping kerbs on a gokart, challenging your body to limits in longer races, the smells (fuel, tire burning, arriving early morning for a championship race, that smell of green track and seeing the garages in the distance, hearing the engines being tunned), the wind, the heat, the dirty, the rain, the soak wet clothes, the water on the visor, the real fear when you experience a mechanical failure, or an accident. Your own bruses. Seeing some friend or some casual fun driver getting hurt pretty badly in a accident shows that you have to deal with reality no matter how low the class of racing you are. The whole feeling is something you will never experience in a Sim, not even close, no matter how good it is. And Im talking about GoKarts, imagine GT3, Prototypes, Nascar, Indy, F1, how brutal it must be those feelings.

But on my case, all things had their time to happen. And nowadays my racing addiction is fulfilled with Simracing.
The great thing about Simracing also, is the fact I did some good buddies from totally different countries, and we chat about our common passions, and share experiences. I learned to write and understand english because of racing. Never went to a proper school for it. Those are just some "plus" that comes along.

Well, today Im almost 40...Im not married, I dont have kids...lol, and recently I lost my job, the one that payed my bills! The fact I dont have a family to feed makes a little easier, I have a few alternatives. Dont know what the future holds, but, bring it.
Who knows what would be of me without this passion? I dont think I fit normal society rules anyway. Thats who I am!

Last edited:
Just imagine how much a bad setup would cost, crashing the car because of pushing the limits over max, driving like every car one can think of, track fees plus insurances and biggest plus must be that you can't get hurt.
Yes, well said...and the most amazing button us Sim Racers have when you have a crash while in practice / qualify / race with AI is the...'RESTART'...button, got to love that...lol

I have now spent a number of years Sim Racing and come to the realization, for me personally anyway, that it's a collaborative effort in creating a Racing Sim eg....great graphics, awesome audio, fantastic FFB and physics, the Hardware developers and manufacturers and when all these parts are in perfect synergy, the artists, innovators, creators of hardware that are involved with each individual section... this is when the magic happens....I tip my hat to all of them and I for one am glad to be alive to enjoy this wonderful pastime.

• Deleted member 217114

I have tinnitus and racing games are the only games that make me "forget" I am having it, and as a side effect I can't enjoy other games anymore. :rolleyes::confused:

for me probably the biggest thing that draws to me to racing games in general is the love of cars, and especially the racing cars.
Yes driving can be also super rewarding and fun, but it's really the cars I love the most

edit: this is what it's all about

love, passion , beauty of the machines

Last edited:
Funny enough, Ive been active in sim racing since the very beginning, Right from my atari 2600, through my C64 to my Amiga, then onto the Windows platform (while also owning every playstation and xbox, and a master system, a megadrive (genisis) master system,an N64 and a few portables), Ive spent nearly 40 years gaming and my main focus has always been on racing games in one form or another. I havent played every car game, but Ive played a lot of them.

Not a great fan of real world car racing. Havent any real interest in cars outside of my sims, Noit familier with most race series or tracks untill I get to play them in a game.

LMAO! There was the trip to Japan in 1978(?). I was totally awed by their video arcades. I spent my entire week's budget on racing games - in one night :rolleyes: - but I loved it!

I remember renting consoles and driving Michael Schumacher's Ferrari - Square pixels and all. A case of beer, good friends, on the couch, driving our hearts out all night.... Only to wake up with a purple thumb nail from pressing the controller so hard! :roflmao:

I suppose I realized real life motorsports wasn't in the cards when I almost ran over a couple of corner workers when my water pump blew and - to me - out of the blue, my car just went into snap 360s. :confused:

Last edited:
That's another memory I'd forgotten about... Arcades
Mum used to take us to Southend so I could play the racing games there. We were too poor to afford all the expensive consoles or PCs
But once or twice a year I got to race on Hang On, Outrun and Daytona
It was so awesome and I never thought I'd be able to have something like it at home.
Now I have something which makes them look so childish and dated. Yet I'd still kill for a full motion setup of course...

I have been a car fanatic all my live and have tried my hand at some forms of motorsport - but cost always turned out prohibitive.
From the first racing games till Xbox One - I had them all, and they all contributed to great memories . Sometimes its the thrill of the race, sometimes it simply taking a car by the scruff of the neck and throw it round a circuit, and sometimes it;s taking it roud the track as smooth and fast as possible - always balancing weight, traction and power and available road.

I always played with a steering wheel - never with a joypad. I'm a racer after all - not a gamer !

Late last year I made the switch to PC gaming - my only regret is that i did not make the transition earlier . . . . .

It's a totally different world - giving even more pleasure and enjoyment. I'm one of those that will always sacrifice good graphics for realism, but with games like Asstto Corsa, Project Cars and Assetto Corsa you don't have to compromise !

So I can still live my dreams - at minmal cost and pain !

Here ia a toast to all those companies and developers that have been bringing us so much joy and pleasure over the years !

Regards

I've followed motorsport and liked cars from about ~1980 or so and still motorsport is #1 sport for me. I've never had, and never will, money* to do it in real life so nowaday's sims are good alternative which make possible to at least get some of that excitement what real drivers get.

*I haven't had a car in last 20 years or so 'cause I don't have enough money to keep it and I should sacrifice so much to do that so I wouldn't have money to other things.

For me it´s a thing I have done since the fantastic breadbox (and for the very young that is the commodore 64 :roflmao: ) I flew Microprose´s flight sims and drove racing "sims" like REVS See this youtubeclip
and such.
And I simply have never been able to let it go since those days in the mid eighties. I sim fly when I need to do something very relaxed and when I need some adrenaline in the blood, I sim drive. It´s all about relaxing my ageing brain and get me in a better mood. And it works - be it AC, PCars, Sebastien Loeb Rally, Dirt 3, rFactor2, Shift, or whatever title there is out there. Different moods calls for different driving games - or FSX, P3D or X-Plane, Rise of Flight and other titles when it comes to flying. :):):).

Last edited:
Because i have the chance to drive cars i will never been able to afford in real life...
And driving games are cool cause they are infinite experience...
They are not crappy 20 hours adventure games that once you completed 1/2 times you put on the shelf to gather dust like forever... AC alone gave me more playing hours than all the Assasin's Creed games i played together...

I guess being an older fart such as I am, it goes wayy back, but its first love of cars. Buying an old piece of crap and getting it working again. then theres that first time you actually roll into a real race track, and your sense get actually bombarded and overwhelmed, that smell of burning rubber, and hot engines doing there best not to explode into a million pieces. Then theres that sound which is almost off world.( think that best example is the Matra).
I did lots of track days after I built and rebuilt numerous Mazda RX-7's, and finally got into SCCA after awhile, but I think I did much more corner work than racing, which was Ok because you got to meet all sorts of others who were just as crazy as you were about the sport.
Tried the Nascar experience a few times and was blown away by those cars.
I watched Moss, Clark and numerous others on TV, and was literally blown away by there car control.
I like aircraft sims the most at first, but then GPL came along, and I wasn't just hooked , all of a sudden I was Clark and others racing through the forest with skinny little tires and on the edge of control.
I joined the Mybroga League and all of a sudden I was racing people from all over the world, and it was the best online experience I ever had.
Now its more Automobilsta and racing the AI, and its still a blast.

I love motorsports and the fantasy of beautiful fast cars, as well as the escapism of traveling beautiful courses. I also can't actually drive in reality thanks to fun fun medical concerns, and just really want something more to experience than pushing around collected diecasts. Mostly I go for single-player races against AI, trying to learn and experience the vehicles and courses I end up seeing in action when the seasons start; it's a lot more enjoyable to watch when you have a feel for what they're experiencing, at least to some degree.

[Quote = "DaVeX↯, posta: 2391975, membro: 219304"]! Tutto chiaro, non preoccuparti della Traduzione, Importanti passi IL MESSAGGIO [/ quote]
Come faccio a mettere sotto, i componenti del mio PC come avete fatto nel post?

MOD EDIT: How do I put below, the components of my PC as you did in the post? (Google Translate)

Last edited by a moderator:
Slowly sipping an American Double IPA, appreciating all the life stories above.
Taking time to read them all.
To many, we're just playing video games.
What a great hobby and I've never really wasted a single minute if I'm racing.

What really got me hooked was this old movie ,Grand Prix from 1966 ,which I first saw in 1980 on a very big movie screen,
the cars are mounted with real moving cams, the actors took racing lessons ,and they are driving on the real tracks, not in F1 cars but in F3 cars ( they looked quite similar back then ) my plan is to recreate the entire Monza scene in a sim game with live sim drivers and I hope I will succeed with it some day...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back