Have Your Say: What Would You Like to See in rFactor 2?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 DX11 3.jpg

It's that time again where we ask you the community to give some feedback, this time with regards to the development future of rFactor 2.

In an open letter to Studio 397, the new development team behind the rFactor 2 simulation software, we have a think about how we would like to see the sim develop going forward, and ask you the community to offer up some (constructive) suggestions regarding what you would like to see happen with the software in the future.

We already know Studio 397 have plans to bring out improved graphics and upgrade to DX11 from it's current rather dated DX9 routes, plus we know virtual reality support for Oculus Rift and HTC Vive is around the corner too. With an all new and much improved UI due to complement these new features, plus something described as "streamlined" content, already Studio 397 are talking a good fight with their plans for a racing simulation that is no doubt one of the most technically competent pieces of software on the market today.

Firstly let's have a look at what the current rFactor 2 does well.

Real Road. This is basically a dynamic track surface that simulates the behaviour of a real racing surface during a race weekend. So we have dynamic rubber build up and wet and dry lines in rain conditions, basically bringing the track to life during the session.

Dynamic weather cycle. This can be pre set for different weather conditions and also plugged in to real world weather at a given location. So if it's raining at the real track it's raining in game too.

Full time of day cycle. Low and behold something that seems to be all too rare in a race sim. Race in the day, race at night. Have it change over time depending on the time of day in game. A must have feature for any racing sim in my opinion.

Driver swop. You can share your car with either the AI or other real people during longer races if you so wish, ideal for multiplayer events. Driver swops carry over tyre wear and damage (if not repaired in the pits).

Advanced tyre model. One of the best in the business although allegedly quite complicated for modders to fully utilise. Features things like flat spots, wear, heat cycles etc.

Moddability. This is a double edged sword. Moddability is great and something that made the original title so very popular for a very long time. For some reason with rF2 the modding scene around the simulation has never quite reached those pervious rF1 heights, but seems to be slowly gathering momentum.

So with a newly motivated development team working behind the scenes and an already exceptionally strong base position, what do you think the developers need to do in order to lift this title ahead of it's admittedly strong sim racing competition? What do you think S397 should concentrate on in the short, medium and long term to help give rFactor 2 the push it needs to recapture the gaming public imagination?

Personally I would like to see further refinements to the weather simulation within the game, small details like windscreen wipers on all the cars, rain drop build up on the windscreens, puddle formations on track and aquaplaning. Basically a complete overhaul of the way rFactor 2 simulates wet weather within the sim, with the exception of the Real Road dry line formation, which for me is an outstanding feature and well implemented already.

Additionally I would like to see a considerably expanded archive of support materials for modding teams and individuals. I firmly believe a certain level of success can easily be achieved by Studio 397 if they work towards building up the first party content in the sim, bringing together the cars already released into cohesive full series (no more single cars from a championship) and adding new and interesting full championship packs. Much like the original rFactor sim and to a lesser extent Assetto Corsa, mod releases are the key to keeping a sim fresh and active long after the game has been released. Quality scratch made mod releases are slowly picking up pace in recent months, however it looks like Kunos and Assetto have taken a bit of a lead in this area since AC released and for me it is critical that Studio 397 act quickly to make up for lost time. Better and more documentation, bulk materials such as tyre sets people can use for their mods, studio sanctioned support and other things would be welcomed greatly I feel.

I could go one forever with things I would love to see, however this is not the point of this article. What I want to know is what you guys in the community would like, your opinions on how the developers can bring rFactor 2 right up to speed with it's immediate rivals in the sim racing world.

I personally think rFactor 2 is one of the best in the business, but it's potential is so much more. Share with us your opinions about how this game can be moved forward to reach that potential!

rFactor 2 is a racing simulation exclusive to Windows PC.

rF2 IndyCar.jpg
rF2 NASCAR.jpg
rF2 Formula Renault 3.5.jpg

Additional third party content can be downloaded from a variety of sources, one of which is the RaceDepartment rFactor 2 modding archive. Head over and check out the latest releases for the sim, or alternatively join in the discussion and keep up to date with the latest news at our rFactor 2 sub forum right here at RD. If downloading mods or keeping up to date with the latest news items aren't your thing, you can always sign up to one of our epic Club and League events using the software. We hold regular club racing events in our schedule, however the jewel in our crown is no doubt the RaceDepartment Le Mans Series. This is our premium endurance league using rFactor 2. Head over to the RDLMS forum to find out more!

Please have a think about what direction you would like the development of rFactor 2 to go, and what you would like to see added in future. All comments and suggestions gratefully received below!

Last edited:
I think they should focus on everything needed to appeal to modders. Give them a ton of tools that are really easy to understand (tools to verify the mod too /compare with real world specs/performances). Make the game look better to appeal to more people and modders. Give the game's UI lots of tools to sort, add, remove, subscribe to mods, get update news etc.
And make the UI slick and usable with just the steering wheel D-pad and buttons.

Also think about gamifying some modes a bit. If you have a cool feature like very accurate fuel usage, offer an eco-challenge in some mode. If you add ERS, make a challenge around ERS management for 5 laps or so. You know, stuff that is fun and also shows people what rFactor 2 does better than other sims out there... stuff that makes people go "wow, this game does that? This is so cool, much better than in sim xyz".

Granted I haven't played this for a while as it never really managed to get me stuck in. But here is what I'd like to see

Graphics improvements - Physics might be the focus for this game. But graphics shouldn't stay behind this day and age

AI Improvements - When racing in a pack of cars I always feel like the AI just stick behind eachother eventhough then could pass on slipstream or sheer speed alone. They need to become more racey, not just stuck on a train.

Better physics for cars touching - This one in particular has been a big deal breaker for me. When you touch another car, you just kinda slide off him. For example, when racing NASCAR and you touch someone on their left rear corner, normally you'd spin them out, or atleast get them sliding. In Rf2, you just slide of the car and nothing happens. It makes close racing more forgiving and less challenging. Thus encouraging less clean racing

Official Multi-class Racing Support - This ties in slightly with the AI improvements. While yes you can add different classes into a grid. They don't work together well and as a lower class you can't really "win" a race since the classification is only overall, not per class. Also when a faster class comes across a lower one during the race. They just stick behind them even on the straights.

More complete official content - Not one off cars, but full blown series with multiple manufacturers, teams and drivers. For instance, a full BTCC or IMSA series grid. Preferably with the tracks on the calendar too. Or at least keep that in mind when making new tracks

A more lively world - Animated pitcrews, pitboards, (flag)marshalls, crowds, general personnel in and around the pits (like people on the pitwall computers and such)

The next two are a bit more of a stretch because of either license restrictions or processing power needed, but I wanted to throw them out there anyway

Damage - This is always a sore spot with many people when brought up. But I really would love to see (more) realistic damage on a car. I think it's kinda dumb that you can crash into the wall at 200kph and just lose a wheel and bonnet (which don't even deform), but the rest of the car looks fine. While IRL it would look more like: http://blogs.democratandchronicle.com/shoppingguys/files/2013/01/02.jpg

Terrain Deformation - When sliding along grass, or even rolling, it would be cool for the terrain to deform according to how you hit the grass, the car might rip the grass out showing a bare dirt spot.
Or when you hit the steel barrier at high speed it would deform. Or even as simple as the tire bundles getting torn up during a crash. Damage to the track would also give a realistic cause for a safety car after a crash

I want to see graphics that look like something done in this decade at least. A more refined game, not the bare bones sim that it is so far. But good lighting, refined weather effects - the current are worse than the still pretty weather effects from Sports Car GT (a 1999 game!) -, refined particle effects and so on.

Better performance, not talking about FPS (the game is nicely optimized fps-wise these days), but loading times are atrocious and very sensible to HDD fragmentation. And since the game is not SSD worthy so far...

Some sort of campaign or meta game. Everything is pointless and very dull. You have no real incentive to play anything.

Quality content. The worst area, the most lacking one. The game desperately needs cars, tracks and series. The first rFactor still is the king of this hill, with so many quality and varied content. Some stuff still is awesome even today, like HistorX mod and F1 1979 just to name two. But there's literally hundreds. Maybe making the game easier to mod? The (great) tire model editing feels like black magic so far for those not in the development team.

Better loading times. Go into PCars and load a 40-car grid at Le Mans, then go to rF2 and load 10 cars at Atlanta Motorsports Park...
definitely this.
I even did a real world test by moving the install folder from my standard drive to a new MX300 SSD and the loading times have barely changed. Takes ages and AC smashes it with better looking cars and tracks. Never understood why it takes so much longer.

Well I think everything that I thought of has all ready been mentioned.

KERS/Hybrid integration - Not just in the UI but onboard adjustments as well.

Improved wet weather - Rain drops, wipers, etc

1st party Content - More everything essentially. I think LMP3 would be a great addition within rF2. I've been on a historic kick lately, so the 1967 LM and WEC cars gets my vote, with more of that era tracks to go with them.

Making modding easier - This is kind of a grey area with the rise of converting from modding groups and from other games. But it can be overly difficult and time consuming converting a mod from rF1 to rF2. Some recent rF1 releases would be AMAZING on the rF2 platform (HSO CART 1988, CheifWiggam's CART 1984). And let's not forget past rF1 releases, iDT CART 94-95, HistoricX, VLM PTC, HSO USAC 1973, etc. There is plenty of amazing content made by amazing artists out there, but getting it on the rF2 platform with the quality that it deserves is what is holding it back.

There is plenty of amazing content made by amazing artists out there, but getting it on the rF2 platform with the quality that it deserves is what is holding it back.
The real poblem ins't the artistic part, but the physics one. This is the main reason more modding groups moved from rF2 to AC. Some groups moved because of ripped content, from rF1 to rF2 or other platforms (look at DRM mod). As I said before, now there are a lot of guys able to master the physics but no one modelling for them, which is a shame...

Aside form the usual wish list items in this thread there is one subject that S397 need to pay attention too:

Don't release half-baked Features - This was a bug bear for many ISI items in RF2, they would add a feature (weather, smoke flow over cars, heat haze etc) that would be half completed but then not actually get finished or worse just ignored forever more. I would like to think and indeed hope that S397s approach is to actually intend to complete features of the Sim and improve upon them there afterwards where necessary, not adding a specific feature half arsed then leaving it for Build after Build before it gets fully completed.
On a similar note I would like to see features as completed as possible from the start without the User having to wait until the next Build for that feature to be useable. Example would be the Offline Championship, have as many features in at the beginning not just a basic screen with Track/Car Selection and Points 1 through 10, but have as much detail as possible then be able to tweak and adjust from then onwards.

It's one thing to get nice features, but if they're not implemented properly then they're pretty much useless until fully completed.

I would like to see AC modders share their 3D models and tracks with rF2 phisycs gurus to see the same awesome content ported to rF2 too. I saw there are a lot of physics gurus on rF2 looking for cars and tracks to work but there is a lack of modellers on their side. I know everyone has a favourite SIM but if you can have your model shine on other platforms...why not?
Maybe a car/track contest for rF2 can help?

Can you point me to the hundreds of modders who swamped from rF2 to AC and actually released something? There are a handful from the top of my head (DRM mod and CTDP guys), but in most of the cases it is just that people have moved on with their stuff or completely stopped modding as increased complexity of the platforms and higher demands come at a cost. As much as it hurts it to say it, but the real problem today is the community - we, who shred everthing into pieces wich isn't up to Forza model quality visually speaking or top sim spec physicaly speaking, a community that more often has problems to find the right words.

There are a couple of individuals who work on both platforms and are able to deliver top notch quality but those are a handful of guys who are either partially working in a professional environment or have to sacrifice alot of their free time. Creating a mod with top notch visuals, let alone top notch physics is a monumental task nowadays, not because of platforms only, but because consumers are expecting professional results. Most people don't have any idea what it takes to create a professional looking 3D model and this alone is something that has zero do to with wich platform you want to use.

How about giving modders more exposure, no matter wich platform and actually supporting them? There is enough worthwile content that hasn't been shown anywhere so people get the impression that modding is "dead", but if you dig a bit deeper you discover alot of hidden gems. Do we really need a news about every new PC2 screenshot or the x-th news about Nascar Heat Eevolution or Wreckfest? Variety is good, but from my impression there is not much exposure for mods on most sim racing orientated blogs.

I've only given it quick trials and demos and such, but being primarily interested in it due to the off-brand ovals and stock cars (if you nail the experience and the feel of motorsport, that's far better than the exact name and license, in my book), I gotta say that yeah, offline championships with adjustable rules are a big, big selling point for me. I'd say a career mode, but it'd make a little less sense with a game with such heavy incentive to download and add your own stuff.

Plus, I gotta say I get excited every time they announce a new downloadable course that isn't one I know off the top of my head, like NOLA, or an original track.

• ronniej

I saw there are a lot of physics gurus on rF2 looking for cars and tracks to work but there is a lack of modellers on their side.

Where did you see the physics gurus? I ask because that would be great to get a hold of one or two of em. Thx.

All the things S397 has already committed to (because I agree they are the sensible priorities) plus:

- proper updates of existing cars and tracks to the latest standards. Unfortunately, this will take a tremendous amount of work due to backlog of ignored assets.

- new tracks

- more new tracks

- new cars that are either a full series, or, a single vehicle with some helping hands offered to a mod group(s) to complete the rest of the series (i.e., they only need to do skins and some basic physics tweaking for different models, not stare at an incomprehensible blank slate)

- further AI improvements (already best, but far from perfect or optimal), especially in pit lane

- proper randomizable weather (along with the specified weather we have now), with rain that works as it should

- a beta program through Steam like Reiza AMS has to give community feedback on new content and features

- proper (and consistent from a physics perspective) vehicle damage, including visual (at least as good as what we had in rF1)

- proper (and consistent from a physics perspective) treatment of off-track surfaces

- some additional user adjustments to FFB, or universally enforced design of the FFB. One car can feel blissfully realistic and the next crap. The FFB in AMS is lower fidelity than rF2, but works better because every car feels plausible and though they all exist in the same physics universe. There seems to be too many ways you can go astray in FFB design of a car. However, not all wheels react the same way to the FFB, so there has to be some ability to compensate for that.

- sounds need a bit of work. R3E could be the inspiration. Some AMS sounds are also top notch. Like graphics, this is mostly down to (audio) artistry, not technical engineering. Without sound artists, you get bland or boring or inaccurate sounds.

- improved transmission model (at least as good as what Reiza has already implemented in AMS).

Things that are already underway:

Graphics--major improvements coming on the technical side of things. Won't change the artistic aspect of things where rF2 is far behind titles like R3E. So unless that part is changed, we'll just be able to better see the inferior art with faster FPS ;)

UI--major improvements coming. Unless the complete chaos that we have now in terms of car and track labelling is cured, the new UI will simply result in a more pleasing to the eye frustration over illogical and inconsistent naming and controls. A complete re-think of where and when every adjustment to options, tracks, cars, series, etc., is applied is sorely needed. AMS has done 90% of the job, but even there, there are some issues. Some options are restricted by the basic engine and what needs to load, but visual appeal of the UI is only one side of the coin that desperately needs overhaul.

Multiplayer--I am not as experienced or competent as others to comment here, so even though it is really, really important, go with someone else's advice ;)

Championships--seasons or championships are the equivalent of a career mode for a racing sim. Some progressive ones could be included as starters, but users need an easy way to build our own. Impossible to accomplish until the other basic UI and naming convention chaos is addressed.

Last edited:
Reactions: tpw
what I really want to see in future of RF2 is the things that I don't like the most in the currect RF2

- more tracks ( and those that are somewhat known) , I felt like RF2 track list isn't good enough
- balanced quality of the content, I felt like some of the RF2 ISI content is very outdated, cars like 370z GT4 look way worse (visually), then some latest addtions like the Corvette are quite a bit detailed, same thing goes for tracks I think
- easier way to mod things ( which sound liek its' already going into that direction, part what makes AC so much fun to mod is that it's really quite easy once you understnad the basic structure, and I especially like the idea of editor where you import FBX and do all the work in thre , I would push it even futher then Kunos, and give the editor options to setup lights, digitial instruemtns etc.

More polished graphics.
Better performance.
Nicer UI.
Easier to add extra liveries.
Better car previews.
Collision sounds.
Better working headlights (in stead of just showing a brighter part of the screen).

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 276 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 186 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 188 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 138 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 247 13.6%