Have Your Say: What Tracks Have You Visited In Real Life?

Zandvoort

1Foto193.jpg
Foto192.jpg
Foto195.jpg
Foto196.jpg
Foto197.jpg

Even though being a motorsport fan I haven't been to to much tracks.

Sachsenring (STW Era, so proper touring cars and not prototypes)

Oschersleben a couple of times for ADAC GT Masters and Drift Championships

2013 was a special year though. Having the opportunity to work for a Swiss ELMS team I was part of the pit crew at the 3hours of Imola and the highlight of my life, the 24h Le Mans in that year.

What awesome memories these are, especially when working there... The whole atmosphere and team spirit... Awesome!!!

Even though it's not a permanent track me and some friends attend the Hillclimb at Osnabrück every year... Huge diversity of cars, beautiful noise... And lots of beer... LOL

I actually never replied to this thread before. Not that I've been to that many tracks.

Vålerbanen, Norway, kart track as a driver, race track as a spectator.
Mantorp Park, Sweden, as a driver - never as a spectator.
Silverstone, UK, not as a driver, nor a spectator. Visiting a friend who worked with driver development there. Spent a day on the facilities, both watching trackday driving, going to the new s/f straight, the buildings, walking around the area and doing some driver dev. stuff
Vallelunga, Italy, not as a driver nor spectator, but covering the launch of Assetto Corsa. As I didn't have (and still don't) a drivers license, I couldn't drive on the track, just be a passenger.
Marina Bay Street Circuit, Singapore, first and only(so far) F1 race I've watched in person.

Honorable mentions.

Walked around Albert Park, Australia. You can easily walk (or cycle) the whole layout. Was fun walking around the pit buildings, garages etc.
Walked around Monte Carlo, Monaco. That was my first trip to any "race track" outside Norway. What a feeling it was!
Also driven parts of Surfers Paradise, Australia, but they had already started closing off some of the roads, setting up the track for the Supercars race. Didn't get to do all of it.

Last edited:
Kansas City International Raceway, Kansas City, Missouri - NHRA, High Performance Auto Club track day. I lived less than a mile from this dragstrip which was gentrified out of existence. I interviewed founder Chuck Harmon for a college paper. A track from the golden era of drag racing when the nitro cars ran a true quarter mile, wheb there was an NHRA and an AHRA, and the pros barnstormed cities match racing against each other throughout the season. I was to afraid to run my tired 1971 Pontiac GTO at the track, but my brother took his 1969 Road Runner down the tarmac for a couple of passes.

Heartland Park Topeka - ASA, SCCA, NASCAR Truck Series, NHRA. My home track as a young freelance photojournalist from Kansas City, Missouri. On the 1/4-mile dragstrip I saw Pat Austin score double Wallys in TAFC and Top Fuel, the first Funny Car run in the 4-second range, the first 300-mph Funny Car run. On the road course, I saw my cousin Joe Ruttman compete in a NASCAR Craftsman truck "off"road race, shot a ton of film of Darrell Waltrip's ASA pit crew for the son of a Western Auto exec, and almost got runover by Mark Martin's limousine when he retired from an ASA race.

Talledega Superspeedway - ARCA, NASCAR Winston Cup. The 1990 Diehard 500 was the first NASCAR race I ever attended. Naturally, I chose the biggest track and drove from KC to Alabama with a brother and a friend via Elvis Pressley's house in Tupelo, Mississippi.

Des Moines Grand Prix - Street circuit in the capital of Iowa for ARCA, SCCA Trans Am. Imagine being stationed at a photog hole behind a Jersey barrier when a 3000-lb. ARCA stockcar loses a rear wheel, rolls over it, and springs ten feet up in the air on the downhill run right in front of you! Sadly, the incident occurred on the last lap and I had turned my camera off!

Darlington Raceway, Darlington, South Carolina - ARCA, NASCAR Winston Cup. Took my other brother to his first NASCAR race at "The Lady in Black" AKA "The Track Too Tough to Tame" in 1992--the year of the Richard Petty Farewell Tour. I had press credentials and while the race was red-flagged for rain, I saw Kyle Petty sprint past me on foot with ESPN's Dr. Jerry Punch and a camera man in hot pursuit. Ever the gentleman, Kyle stopped to sign an autograph for a young boy in a wheelchair and continued running. I believe Darrell Waltrip won one of his last victories when the race did not resume before dark.

Indiana Fairgrounds - 2013 Hoosier 100 attended with my cousin Toddy who predicted race winner Levi Jones. Sadly, there will be no more auto racing at this historic venue where American open wheel racing harkened back to its Sprint car roots on the Friday night before the Indy 500.

Indianapolis Motor Speedway - 2013 Indy 500; attended several U.S. Grand Prix but sold my tickets before the infamous Michelin tire debacle.

Indianapolis Raceway Park - NHRA Division 3, Mopar Nationals.

Summit Racing Equipment Park, Norwalk, Ohio - NHRA Division 3 Series and inaugural Nationals; Mopar World Series. The Bader family's pride and joy and they have always put on a spectacular show. Bobbie Bader is one of the nicest people in the world.

Michigan International Speedway - CART U.S. 500 "Anti-Indy"; NASCAR Sprint Cup Series.

Milan Dragway, Milan, Michigan - Don "the Snake" Prudhomme and Tom "the Mongoose" McEwen Reunion.

Circuit of the Americas - Inaugural U.S. GP for Austin and the last season of the naturally-aspirated F1 V8s!

Mid America Dragway, Arkansas City, KS - GTO Association of America Nationals.

Knoxville Speedway, Knoxville, Iowa - Autograph session with Richard Petty.

National Trails Raceway, Hebron, Ohio - Mopar Nationals.

Pacemaker's Dragway Park, Mt. Vernon, Ohio - 1/8th mile strip in Knox County.

Thompson Raceway Park, Thompson, Ohio - Gasser Reunion.

Bandimere Speedway, Morrison, CO - 2011 NHRA Mopar Mile High Nationals and final destination on the MoVenture road rally which my brother and I won.

Crandon International Off Road Raceway, Crandon, Wisconsin - MoVenture road rally stop; only raced R/C trucks in the mud.

Forgot one: Waterford Hills, Waterford, Michigan. Watched a colleague race a ca. 1985 Chevrolet Camaro in the American Iron class.

Last edited:
Laguna Seca (spectator / CART race) (US)
Lausitzring (spectator / CART race) (GER)
Virginia International Raceway (3 days skip barber school) (US)
Most (fuel eco aero-karts-bikes thingies) :D (CZ)

and a bunch of go-kart tracks... :p

So little hard to remember what they were all for but I've been to a fair number over the years

UK:
Castle Combe
Rockingham
Silverstone
Brands Hatch
Lydden hill
Snetterton
Donnington
Cadwell Park
Oulton Park
Thruxton
Ipswich Foxhall -Short oval
Hendsford - Short oval
Grimley - Short oval
Plus about 10 tarmac RC tracks and a few karting tracks like Rye house of clay pigeon

Europe:
Le Mans
Paul Riccard
Monaco - Wasn't a race weekend but drove the layout
Spa
Monza
Zandvort

US:
Pocono
Indianapolis
Laguna Seca
Atco drag strip
New Jersey Motorsports Park

Australia:
Bathurst x4
Albert Park x5
Eastern Creek aka Sydney Motorsport Park x3
Queensland Raceway (maybe 8 times?)
Reid Park (Townsville Street Circuit) x2
Oran Park (before it was turned into houses) x1

UK:
Silverstone x1
Umm....Goodwood FoS? Does that count? x1
Had planned on going to Brands Hatch this year before the plague hit

• Phoenix International Raceway for NASCAR and endurance races
  • Sonoma (Sears Point) for a sports car race
  • Laguna Seca just dropped by, was in the area
  • I'll soon add Harris Hill and Motorsports Ranch Houston to my list (going to race in Champcar / 24 Hours of Lemons)

For spectating i have been to:

Nordschleife ( Tourist, VLN and 24h race)

Nürburgring GP ( Inter DM, motorcycle race)

Driving for fun:

Nordschleife ( of course :thumbsup:, cars and motorcycles)

Nürburgring GP

Hockenheim GP

Sachsenring ( lapping and drifting)

Driving center Gross Döln ( drifting, offroad and lapping with cars
offroad and lapping with motorcycles)

several slaloms (autocrosses)

MFG Carsten

Only been a spectator at the following.

Silverstone. Lost count of how many times.
Brands Hatch. Lost count of how many times.
Goodwood. About 15 times for the revival and members meeting.
Santa Pod. 3 times.
Donington. Once for BTCC.
Snetterton. Once for BTCC.
Spa. Twice for WEC. Once for the Peter Auto classic.
Le Mans. Once for the 2018 classic.

I have a season pass for Oulton & Donington (and the other MSV circuits) and get to both regularly. Also a regular at Silverstone and get to Le Mans when the opportunity allows.

• Bryar - now New Hampshire
  • Charlotte
    • lived nearby for about 10 years; most memorable track ride: Ferrari 250 California Spyder
  • Darlington
  • Mid Ohio
  • Mosport
  • Putnam Park
  • Road Atlanta
  • Roebling Road
  • Sebring
  • St Jovite
  • Summit Point
  • Watkins Glen
  • various drag strips, motocross, autocross and ice racing tracks

Visiting sanctioned races, all multiple times:
Nürburgring (Nordschleife)
TT Assen
Holter Straße (Osnabrück Hillclimb)

Trackdays:
Oschersleben

Visiting while there was nothing going on:
Zandvoort
Phillip Island GP, Australia (totally by accident)

Driven on myself:
Nordschleife
Contidrom

Last edited:
Not too many for me...
Brands Hatch
Snetterton
Lydden Hill
Silverstone
Thruxton
Blackbushe - 2CV Cross racing! and drag racing!
Zolder
Le Mans - numerous times ( member of ACO so make use of discounts whenever I can )
Santa Pod - again loads of times

Loads of kart tracks when I was racing

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back