Have Your Say: To Pre Order or Not Pre Order, That is the Question!

I made the mistake to pre-order PC2 2 years ago for €20 more than it is currently sold in pre-order and they would not even give me the pre-order bonus! I complained about it on WMD and got banned. So... no... I will probably never pre-order again and for certain never again with SMS.

For me, the only reason to pre-order games was to ensure you got yours before your local store ran out of stock, leaving you waiting around and unable to play. Since the vast majority of PC games are delivered via digital downloads these days, there literally isn't any reason to bother anymore. By the afternoon of day one, there are usually hundreds of player reviews which enable you to make a somewhat informed choice about what you're buying, and with today's download speeds you can usually have the game inside of two hours from purchase. As for the stuff they give away with pre-orders, most of it is pointless and often released a few months later as a DLC, so who cares?

Exactly ..agree with every word :)

I'm exclusively a PC gamer and have been so for over five years. Digital distribution has rendered pre-orders completely pointless for me. I have no interest in pre-order bonuses or play early deals. I know I can download any game on day of release and that's good enough for me.

Console players reliant on physical copies may answer differently but in the world of PC gaming, pre-orders make little sense.

I always used to be a pre-orderer, because back in the postal days, you could get the title two or three days before release (BF2 was one) However, I've been burned a few times with unfinished poorly released products that I have given up on that enticement. Also, everything i buy is downloaded, so there is no early release benefit from pre-ordering, any of the content they use as a carrot to get people to pre-order, 9 times out of 10 they release in the long run as some all encompassing product anyway. Usually its just a skin or something shoddy they just try to overcharge for,.

So no, I wont be pre ordering Pcars 2, Forza 19, Gran Tourismo, or F1 I will wait, see how the reviews come out, and then make an informed choice of the back of that. I am interested in some of the content these titles are offering however.

Eh, if people do it I don't care, i personally go for earlier titles from the dev. Like F1 2017, I might buy it, but I wont pre-order since some of the games (like 2012) was absolute **** IMO. And then there are game like Automobilista, where I even backed the game on kickstarter since I knew that Stock Car Extreme was a great game, and a good dev that I wanted to support. Unkown studio/studio doing a new thing = no pre-order. Learned that from pCars, biggest disappointment for me when it comes to racing games. Wont pre-order pCars 2, might buy it later at a lower price (depends on reviews form the sim community).

I would say NO! If you don't know much about the game you are Pre-ordering. However, if you know what you are getting like for me Pre-ordered F1 2017 since I have practically all prior releases and I do "like" not love the game and know what to expect, good or bad I at least will not be regretting the purchase.

If anyone is interested, CDKeys has F1 2017 for US$35.

Last edited:
I never had any issues from CDKeys and have purchase from them all the time. I use Paypal so it might be different for you. I live in the USA and this version from CDKeys is for worldwide...See here
http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/f1-2...m&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=allkeyshop

Check this for other online seller options.:

http://www.allkeyshop.com/blog/buy-f1-2017-cd-key-compare-prices/

Can I be certain that it's a legitimate copy obtained through a lawful channel for distribution in my country at that price?

Last edited:
Pre-Oder only works best with Early Access or Beta for me. The "Deluxe" & "Additional Content" related stuff next to these pre-orders are very sketchy marketing plans. Creates a false impression of what the game really represents.

For me, the only reason to pre-order games was to ensure you got yours before your local store ran out of stock, leaving you waiting around and unable to play. Since the vast majority of PC games are delivered via digital downloads these days, there literally isn't any reason to bother anymore. By the afternoon of day one, there are usually hundreds of player reviews which enable you to make a somewhat informed choice about what you're buying, and with today's download speeds you can usually have the game inside of two hours from purchase. As for the stuff they give away with pre-orders, most of it is pointless and often released a few months later as a DLC, so who cares?
pre-orders use to have some kind of physical model of something (cars, characters) This is if you are a die hard fan of a gaming title that has had a long run in the industry...

Definitely no pre-orders for me.
If you give your money to the devs before sampling the goods then you're just promoting the trend of devs putting out crap over-hyped games who get your money anyway because you gave it to them before sampling it or reading reliable reviews first.

If you go in blind and pay for a AAA or hyped up game and then you're disappointed with it, you don't get to whinge or complain about it.

Pre-ordering is a scam and they incentivise you to give them your hard hearned money by telling you you'll get exclusive stuff if you do pre-order. The whole thing is a pointless exercise and if people actually stopped pre-ordering and only buying the game once they find out it's worth it, then it will force game developers into a position where they have to come up with the goods instead of churning out the same old crap time and time again. No originality and so many sequels just cashing in on the name. Call of Duty to name but one. There hasn't been a decent COD for a long long time.

Pre-ordering is for the gullible. Don't do it !

You are young and dumb, and you pre-order. Fast forward a couple of years and you got more experience and BURNED a bunch of times and turn into that bitter ol' dude who never pre-orders again. :D Seriously though there is more of an incentive if devs have to deliver before they see the cash to make a really good game. If they get millions of dollars (like some titles pull) then they can release games that are rather shallow but hyped to the max.

Crowd funding is cool and EA is up to the customer if they want to jump in early or not, but pre-orders is sometimes cancer, and the devs know that so they lure you with more and more stuff to do it: "pre-order now and we'll give you a sack of real diamonds!" (not really but you know what i mean, lol).

PS. if you know the devs like in our community and when it comes to simulators i think we can be more sure about the product. Even though i stay away from pre-ordering of other games i would probably make an exception for Kunos, ISI, S397 and Reiza (but dont forget my diamonds!).

No Pre orders, It is unethical for anyone to take money without providing a product. Developers should release a one car, one track demo to try before buy. Also I wouldn't mind paying a small fee for a demo
1f642.png

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back