Have Your Say: To Pre Order or Not Pre Order, That is the Question!

Generally, hell no. You won't get the game any quicker, usually not even cheaper or with any substantial bonus content. All you do is buy a bag, without knowing what's in the bag.

Also, maybe some do it because they want to show they are "loyal fans" of some franchise? So they can boast about it later, how they pre-ordered and are true fans supporting the developer.

NobodyCares.gif

Although, with Steam Refunds, there is really no risk. So if you see a good offer, (for example Steam summer sale) you can get it for discount, then refund if it's crap.

Last edited:
I pre-ordered pC2 buying into the beta as soon as it came on offer and 110% glad I did as I have enjoyed playing it for the last 3 months or so. I pre-ordered Codies F1 title once but never again.

Preorder nowadays: pay the same for a game you can buy instantly through steam when it's released. Really makes no sense.

Years ago you had to pre buy because they were physical units and you won't get them on release if didn't hurry up with some games (FIFA etc).

Nowadays is a stupid thing to do unless you get a good discount for it. I pre-ordered pCars1 because I found it 40% discount at GMG (f*cking hype train).

It's like paying full price for an early access game but without the early access. Plain stupid.

Never preorder and I think I'll never do that. Main reason,especially with racing sims or games, is I want to know what i'm going to buy,so I read and see lots of reviews that can help me build an idea. The other reason is I don't like delevopers way to release games in hurry just to make happy hyped children who can't wait any other day. Most of games come with patches and bug fixes even at day one because they are uncomplete products. So you preorder a game,download it when released but still need a patch,the many of thousands (because is still uncomplete) to enjoy it. Not so fair.

• Deleted member 6919

Pre ordering is a gimmick and a con, along with the 2hr refund by Steam..I brought a game through Steam, can't remember what it was but it was shite..but here is the kicker, the server for the game went down after install, and was down all night so wasn't able to test, Steams opinion is it's not their problem tuff shite your over 2hr's.
Lets look at two new titles coming, F12017 & PC2, both up for pre order, both offer a discount, both offer something extra for ordering early, both titles can be pre-purchased else where cheaper than their own discount 7 extra's..walks away dropping the mouse..:laugh:

I got Assetto Corsa and Dirt Rally on early access, Project CARS 1 on pre-release. Well paid less for the two on early access than PC. Have spent more time on AC and DR 1200+hrs to 36 on PC. I am not buying PC2 until I am convinced buy reviews that it is worth it. I have not got Dirt 4 and I am glad I have not.
So my take on this is yes if it is early access at reduced price and a definite NO for full priced or paying extra for extra release day content. Boy was I a sucker for that one.

Queuing up for a game on release date doesn't interest me anymore.
Think about it if you want the game or like the series be it racing football or shooters, Just means your going to miss the hype, so your unable to moan they missed this off didn't do that.
For me if you waited for the game to be in its top condition!!!!! Too late next games coming out. So stay with your 5 year old game,. Just because your used to how your old game handles it don't make new releases Bad. They just need updates n tweaks.
Betas are good but once main stream release problems occur.
Too me some of the older major Racing Sim games have lost their way on FFB. AMS Rf2.
Assetto was the worst seems to be the best nowadays.
That's my pennies worth.

There is a massive difference between Early Access and pre-order.

In early access/beta you are directly helping to fund a new game because that is what you want. But to pre-order is just daft and makes no sense. You wouldn't pre-order a new television before you have had a chance to read reviews on it. Obviously if something is offered as a very good and worthwhile bonus that you really want then perhaps pre-order is the way for you but lets face it, the game will be available instantly the day it is released so absolutely no sensible reason to pre-order at all.
With both Pcars 2 and F1 2017, I will be reading some reviews first on here. Then I might purchase.

I never preorder and all the other vocal people say they never preorder, yet people do it droves. Somebody is doing it! Haha. And while I don't like it, I can hardly blame publishers for gouging the willingly gouged.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 390 12.1%