Have Your Say: Tell Us Your Real World Racing Experience

- Three autocross endurance races (12 hrs).
- About 8 years 4-stroke karts (in- and outdoor races), mostly 1 to 3 hrs but also several 24 and 12 hrs endurance.
- Three years competing in 125 cc shifter karts (Birel), occasionally 125 cc automatics (Kombikart - Iame)
- One 5 lap Formula Ford session.
- Track days (Spa / Zolder with Honda motorcycles (CBR 600 - CBR 900 Fireblade "Tiger")
- Track days with Renault Megane Cup car, Ford Focus RS, Nissan 370Z, Nissan GTR (tuned to 860 BHP) - Not my cars, just lucky to have a friend who wants to share :)

Last edited:
20160206_101339557_iOS.jpg
IMG_4999.JPG
Hello everyone, I have been running in single-seater in the category of free formula, with renault 2000, and then I ran the super toyota spain championship.

In addition to the first 24 hours of resistance Barcelona in Montmelo, with a Seat 124 sport, being first by teams in the category of classics.

At present I run in simulators in 900 degrees, something in i-racing and in the championship of intercommunities, in this case with Assetto Corsa.

Although I run with many others, but for the oculus with which I most enjoy is with Assetto Corsa

If you want to know something else please let me know

regards

I don't have any wheel to wheel experience in cars in real life, but do have some track experience. Besides indoor and outdoor rental karts that I do from time to time with friends I have been fortunate enough to drive some shifter and direct drive karts. I have done quite a bit of US autocross (timed single car competition on small setup courses with cones, usually on airfields). I have been lucky enough to instruct and drive at several exotic autocross events with Ferraris and Lamborghinis, and I have driven a small formula ford like vehicle on track, as well as my own car multiple times. Out of the three closest tracks to me, I have been able to drive Laguna Seca as well as Sonoma raceway. Currently my car is sitting waiting for a new motor after it developed a hole in the side after the last open track day. I also have the opportunity to test a racecar next month that I am quite excited about. It is called an EXR lv02, and will be my first time in a purpose built tin top racecar.

Here are a few pictures:
The first time I drove my car on track at Thunderhill Raceway.
GBMA1478a.jpg
GBMA0740a.jpg

The car left that day in good shape. The next time I went to this track the car was towed home.
DSC_0265a.jpg

My wife and I at her first autocross event that she drove in her 2002 subaru wrx.
DSCN3547a.jpg

My first time on a track about ten years ago at Infineon, now Sonoma raceway.
DSC_0206a.jpg

A couple of the cars that I was lucky enough to instruct in and drive at the exotic autocross events.
IMG_0039.jpg

Pictures at one of my favorite track experiences. I have driven Laguna Seca just once, but it was extremely wet, and extremely fun. Several turns in on my first lap I found my self shouting with excitement that I was actually driving Laguna Seca!
GBMA4622a.jpg

One of, or perhaps my favorite picture of my car on track.
GBMA4559a.jpg

And this is the car I should get the chance to drive next month.
EXR_Ford_LV3.jpg

But, even with the chances I have had, I still spend the vast majority of my time sim racing nowadays, and I don't mind that. I think sim racing is the best compromise of cost/time/accessibility, I just hope to continue to do a few real life driving events every once in a while if possible :).

Last edited:
Been driving cars since I was 12, and riding lawnmowers since I was around 7. Only on-track experience I have is a couple of weekends doing some work with BMW driver training that I somehow talked my way into, tracks were Mission International Raceway, and the airport track at Delta (Both in B.C.) I was also lucky enough to crew for a fellow at a Vintage race at Mission, he was driving a Formula V. As well, there used to be a really neat little place called Formula 440, also near Delta, that had Rotax powered open wheelers and karts and some very nifty little LM replicas. Had planned on doing autocross, but my car at the time (Nissan 240SX) blew a head gasket and that put an end to that plan. Does biking around Circuit Gilles Villeneuve count? Because that happens. Actually I have driven around the circuit as well, but as I am sure you are aware, it is a park much like Albert park in Oz and you absolutely cannot put your foot down. Still nice to hit the kerbs though. You can apex like a champ at 30 km/h, every time.

I am the trolley racing champion at the local supermarket. :cool:
Let's talk about camber setup and ballast placement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did a lot of track days at NHIS in New Hampsire and then joined SCCA and did a few events as a track worker. Finally got a hold of a 79 Mazda RX-7 with a blown motor, but it had a great body. Lowered it and put a new motor in. Fianlly put in a full roll cage as well.
Run more track days and tuned the suspension, and finally ran a couple of SCCA events, where I scared the daylights out of the instructors who ride along for a few laps to make sure your Ok to race. I thought you were supposed to brake late !
Got myself a truck with towing gears, and I was all set to roam the country racing all the best tracks.
Then of course I met someone, who eventually turned out to be my significant other, who had no interest in racing what so ever.
I still have that truck, the tow hook and part of the frame fell off a few years ago, so the only racing I do now is on Automobilista, but its not the same as the rotary in my Mazda. I hope they bring the rotary back, theres just nothing like it.

Looong time ago indoor karting for southern England youth. Have to say I was not very good.
In my mid 40's I started off road motorcycling and had access to a private motox track. Great fun but just like my sim racing I was a bit slow and way to old. So had a go at enduro. Did some races and loved it. In my late 50s had to give up my beloved 250 ktm as the injuries took to long to recover.
As leading back marker in sim racing I have at last found my place in the racing world.....at the back with a big smile. ;)

my only competitive experinece was the christmas race friom the local kart club but becaus of the weather we only could use the indoor layout. we had three one hour races with driver changes every 20min. the 10 fastest drivers drew lots (i hope its correct xD), two for their team mates and one for the kart. before every race the karts were changed randomly. i started karting only some months before the race and couldn´t practic that much caus of time and money. i hope that i can extend the racing and i hope that once i can do some pro stuff. good luck to all of you trying, too, keep your dreams alive and stay safe :D

• Deleted member 130869

@Craig Patteson :ninja:

Edit: Myself, I began learning to drive when I was 5 and was 8 the first time I drove alone on the driver's seat. It felt so awesome! Got to 4th gear. I ran karts until I was 11 but $$$ and starting to get too tall didn't help. I actually wanted to race motorcycles but was forbidden of doing so. Then just had to take advantage of the brief time a friend had a nice GTi and access to an Audi TT Roadster. I haven't fit well in a go kart for 15 years, and I see over the windshield of a 430. :poop:.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am one of the fastest starters at the Green Traffic lights in my town. Does that count?

Other than that, rental carts. Over 30 sessions of 10 minutes :p

There's some absolutely gorgeous photos in this thread; guess I shoulda figured some of the best shots of race vehicles would come from proud drivers!

As I'm seeing a lot of people here answering they've got no track experience, I feel I can admit the same. Although, it's a bit of a step further for me, in that I have no experience actually driving. I took lessons, but never got to the point of getting in the car proper before finding out that fun fun problems with my nervous system mean I have a rather high chance of blacking out at the wheel, as well as dizziness and double vision and various other things you really don't want when driving.

I loved watching motorsports when I was growing up, though, and playing arcade racers was a favorite pastime, so I slowly progressed into more simulation-heavy stuff as time's gone by since. Simracing lets me really get a feel for what actually goes on in the competitions that I love, or just have the chance to cruise around freely. It's pretty liberating.

Hello all!
Sorry for this long post and boring videos, but here is my story:

I have a very little racing experience, i've only done 2 kart races with rental karts, and a couple of Practice sessions with them, unfortunaltey i can't visit the track more frequently since i'm still studying and the money is not enough for everything, right now i'm thinking about taking my motorcycle to the same kart track since i can use the track for much longr with the same price. In the future i'm planningon gettingn a used sprots bike and taking part in some track days :thumbsup:

Where to begin?
Late 1960s for a start, initially I ran my road cars (MG TC and MG A Twin Cam) in club events (MG Car Club) and a few minor ATC rounds with an LJ 202 XU1.
With the advent of FF1600 I started racing seriously in the 1971 TAA 'Driver to Europe Series', running an Elfin 600 for my first year followed by a Bowin P4A in year 2.
Decided FF was getting too expensive, stepped up to ANF3 for another year, rebuilt the car, an Elfin 620, to ANF2 specifications, had a couple of interesting seasons and broke even, despite breaking the car several times.
Figured on getting out and sold the 620 for a small profit, but couldn't resist a really good package at a 'bargain price', the ex-Ivan Tighe Elfin 600D which was a really quick car powered by a Waggot T/C, making it eligible for ANF1, and of course, a 'good' 2.0 litre car was very good in the twisty bits, but up against an F5000 it couldn't match their straight line handling!
I did get a few 'guest' drives in Formula Pacific, which replaced ANF1, a couple in the 'standard' Ralt Ford T/C (almost every team ran them) and one aboard a Toleman TG280 (?) fitted with a very 'special' Toyota T/C engine, filling in for the owner who had a broken leg.
Real life and job issues stopped all that for some 20 years until I built a Caterham, once we stuffed a BDA into it the 'Club Racing' became a bit more serious (and it is one hell of a road car!).
I built a GT40 'Replica' over the next 5 years with a lot of 'help' and expense.
The GT40R has a lot of Club Racing miles on the clock and she still gives me a real buzz at circuits like Philip Island.
As I refuse to grow up I also own several bikes, mostly Ducatis, with an Aprilia RSG, a KTM RC8 and a Benelli Tornado Tre 900 for variety.
kUPVKf.jpg

My 'Classic' Benelli.
bPfWnX.jpg

My much loved 'Duke'.
tXAoYy.jpg

And the very Hairy Chested KTM.
Now to find some of the car photos.
Elfin 600E TC 1972.jpg

Elfin 600D Wagott at Calder Raceway.
Terrific ANF2 car that came to an untimely end at Lakeside as a result of an out of control Muppet attempting to take me under brakes into the Carousel.
Replace with a 600E powered by a BDA.
Looking for more photos.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 111 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 151 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline