Have Your Say: Tell Us Who You Rate as the All Time Best British F1 Driver

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Have Your Say - Best British F1 Driver.jpg

Lewis Hamilton continues to extend his lead in the 2017 Formula One standings, but who do you rate as the all time best from Great Britain?

Motorsport in Great Britain is a thriving industry that provides thousands of jobs to the engineering sector, as well as producing an incredible number of talented racing drivers across many different disciplines of the sport.

In Formula One the UK has been represented by 160 drivers, with ten World Champions sharing 16 title's between them. Some of the greatest names in the sport have come from the United Kingdom, not least of which are Sterling Moss, Jim Clark and three time World Champion and current Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton.

The question for today is -

Who do you rate as the all time greatest British Formula One driver?

Remember greatness doesn't have to be measured by success, so the most wins doesn't necessarily equate to the best driver. Think hard, have fun and debate below!

Last edited:
Jim Clark for me, truly great driver. The two Hills are up there too. As is Mansell. Jackie Stewart was great too. As was Surtees. No one will ever do what John done ever again in history. UK has been spoiled over the years by great drivers. Jenson also comes to mind, he was imperious in changeable conditions. I'd take him over Hamilton in those conditions any day.

And in years to come I'm sure Lewis will be ranked among them too. Maybe not Clark level but up there.

Last edited:
Come on guys, you have to be blind or an hater to not rate Hamilton as the all time brit. Record in pole, will catch Schumacher on race wins, 3 WDC (Almost 4)... And please don't come up with "He always has the best car", that's not true at all. In 2007/2008 Ferrari and McLaren were tied, in 2009 the McL was crap all the way until Budapest. From 2010 to 2013 RB was always the best car, apart from a little part of 2012 where McLaren had a great potential but Lewis' bad luck that year was incredible. (Lots of pit stops fu**ed up in the first races, then Spa incident, Singapore and Abu Dhabi clutch failures and Brazil crash with Hulkenberg).

Jim Clark, simply the best and a charming man.
Sir Stirling Moss was one of the greats who failed to win a championships because he persisted in chopping and changing cars, who had his career cut short.
I rate Damon Hill highly simply because he did an outstanding job of pulling Williams up from the depths in 1994 after they lost Senna.
Never rated Mansell and Hamilton at all.
:sneaky:

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 205301

For me in no doubt it's Jim Clarck ...then it's Hamilton, Stewart and Stirling Moss , and Mansel...
But nobody could replace Clarck (in my opinion)
@++

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 276 15.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 188 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 190 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 139 7.6%
  • < 5 years