Have Your Say: Mods and Sims and the Complications of Installing

installing in AC is pretty straight forward, quality isnt hard to come by. its keeping it updated that is the problem. actually its two problems. first, the mods dont always get updated to keep up with game updates and mods stop working. second, lots of people may have the mod, but not everyone has the latest version of it. ive seen mods get updates after a day and after a year. its pretty hard to stay on top of all of them. i found its near impossible if you want ALL the mods that are out there. theres about a thousand different web sites and facebook pages that constantly post new mods and updates. i stick to just RD and check every day for car or track updates.

i think a viable solution is to route ALL mods through steam workshop so they get updated automatically. that way theyre all i one place and you always know you have the latest version.

Well the answer is...

I have no comment / knowledge or authority in this area of the site :D lol

However our senior club racing manager might want to chime in.. @Brewer could you share your thoughts please sir ? :)

I really like the "Time Trial" idea as well...What say you? @Paul Jeffrey
Answer me dammit:D...I'm the one in the back row with my keyboard and monitors with my hand up yelling Me!,me!me! Mr jeffrey!,Me!me!

Who knows what special events you may see from my boys :sneaky:

Keep your eyes on that calendar.

• ronniej

Well the answer is...

I have no comment / knowledge or authority in this area of the site :D lol

However our senior club racing manager might want to chime in.. @Brewer could you share your thoughts please sir ? :)
Who knows what special events you may see from my boys :sneaky:

Keep your eyes on that calendar.
Thx guys. I think it could be some fun if it caught on....I'll be on the look out for certain:thumbsup:

It's easy to forget that a lot is going on behind the scenes at RD...Another recent observation is Paul has been doing a lot of the "article" heavy lifting lately.

*Suggestion: Keep it at default settiings (cars) or close to it as far as rules go, to keep it fair across the board, and keep the track secret until go time...or no?

Last edited by a moderator:
One issue leading to this one in particular may comes from the simple fact many modders doesn't like t be told how they should do things.

I mean, they're ok to follow mandatory instructions to get content working in the game (textures' names, animation format, wheel centering/pivot point, all this kind of stuff) because they have no choice, but then, it goes quite sideways when releasing: include version of the asset in name (some tracks have this annoying issue), name of the archive (the more lazy release something named "content.rar/zip" ! :whistling::mad:), specific OSes files (windows thumbs.db/desktop.ini, mac .ds_store) which should not be there; so with such people who doesn't care about following player-friendly releasing guideline, there will be no chance to get some auto-install/easy to install system IMHO.

Modding should also include a proper releasing process with mandatory names and content, or the human brain will stll be needed to sort things out and install the content properly.

One issue leading to this one in particular may comes from the simple fact many modders doesn't like t be told how they should do things.

I mean, they're ok to follow mandatory instructions to get content working in the game (textures' names, animation format, wheel centering/pivot point, all this kind of stuff) because they have no choice, but then, it goes quite sideways when releasing: include version of the asset in name (some tracks have this annoying issue), name of the archive (the more lazy release something named "content.rar/zip" ! :whistling::mad:), specific OSes files (windows thumbs.db/desktop.ini, mac .ds_store) which should not be there; so with such people who doesn't care about following player-friendly releasing guideline, there will be no chance to get some auto-install/easy to install system IMHO.

Modding should also include a proper releasing process with mandatory names and content, or the human brain will stll be needed to sort things out and install the content properly.

Then you're not downloading quality content if it has all those issues, so what's the point in doing that in the first place?
If a mod doesn't meet standard AC quality then why bother with it at all? most likely physics are crap like most of the FB ripped mods out there, makes no sense racing online with that, might as well go play some of the latest NFS game or Forza.

There's a "proper releasing process with mandatory names and content" in Assetto Corsa, it's called car pipeline on the sdk folder. Thing is, most of the kids ripping content only care about getting attention and not doing things right.

What's there to complain about? doesn't get much straight forward than AC to install mods, extract to folder (cars / tracks) > play. If the creator of the mod didn't even bother to make the right folder structure on the zip or rar file, most likely you're in for a load of crap.

Sim racing system use a lot of modded content in their league and lots of ppl use it. I think what makes it work there is that they have a direct link to the content being used so you know exactly what version to use and it's quick and easy to get it going. Rfactor 2 have an even better system where if you join a modded server the game will automatically download and install the mods. (Or if this was just for a certain server in not sure).

For me the single biggest issue for mods is compatibility. Every one needs to have the latest version and when you have to manually download every new update for each mod that's when it starts to become problematic. Rfactor 2 solves this issue pretty well with their steam workshop subscriptions.

Rfactor 2 have an even better system where if you join a modded server the game will automatically download and install the mods. (Or if this was just for a certain server in not sure).
In rF2, it is available for all servers, but not all server admins configure the feature properly. And not all mods (e.g. URD payware) are going to be available this way.

For me the single biggest issue for mods is compatibility. Every one needs to have the latest version and when you have to manually download every new update for each mod that's when it starts to become problematic. Rfactor 2 solves this issue pretty well with their steam workshop subscriptions.

Not only does rF2 solve that with Steam workshop, but rF2 allows you to have older versions of the mod installed simultaneously with the newest version. Can create issues for the player if the modder didn't plan for it and the player is unaware of the updates, but the feature is there.

The big issue for rF2 server admins is that each time a component (car or track) is updated, they have to repackage the server content to have the update active. If that were somehow automated...

Well, if was looking for some demotivation to keep doing what I do, this thread has certainly fit the bill.
Don't look at this as a bit gutting, it's just people knowledge and understanding.

I look at this sort of thread as a "challenge" @aphidgod to get the knowledge out there, and also point people in the correct / right direction, away from ripped crap.

Problem is a lot of us, you, me and @A3DR do work for AC and although @Paul Jeffrey pointed out RD modded content league for RF2 I believe, what about AC??

and although @Paul Jeffrey pointed out RD modded content league for RF2 I believe, what about AC??

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/gt3-donington-sun-19nov17.143628/#post-2623733
http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/super-trofeo-vir-thu-23nov17.143806/
http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/gt2-e-algarve-int-cir-fri-17nov17.143567/
http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/60s-lmp-daytona-mon-13nov17.143389/

:cool::):thumbsup:

We have no AC leagues atm and I'm not the online racing guy, but I suspect we would certainly include some level of modded content.

Well, if was looking for some demotivation to keep doing what I do, this thread has certainly fit the bill.

This is disappointing to hear, I'm a big fan of modding and do what I can to help promote the outstanding work undertaken by modders. I don't know why when using modded content online participation tanks out, it could be something to do with install issues for those less initiated in the ways of the world of game modification. Just look at the "rookies " races in AC, took away all barriers like setups, mods and different types of complicated race structures and bam! Double servers filled up all day every day. As a website and club organisers this is a big thing, it becomes incredibly difficult and tedious to chase round sign ups and eventually end up with 7 or 8 drivers if you use unusual content..

Now we have some plans, and some work going on in the background that may well help support modding and online adoption of modding, but I can't talk about that yet... :) Watch this space :)

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/gt3-donington-sun-19nov17.143628/#post-2623733
http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/super-trofeo-vir-thu-23nov17.143806/
http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/gt2-e-algarve-int-cir-fri-17nov17.143567/
http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/60s-lmp-daytona-mon-13nov17.143389/

:cool::):thumbsup:

We have no AC leagues atm and I'm not the online racing guy, but I suspect we would certainly include some level of modded content.

This is disappointing to hear, I'm a big fan of modding and do what I can to help promote the outstanding work undertaken by modders. I don't know why when using modded content online participation tanks out, it could be something to do with install issues for those less initiated in the ways of the world of game modification. Just look at the "rookies " races in AC, took away all barriers like setups, mods and different types of complicated race structures and bam! Double servers filled up all day every day. As a website and club organisers this is a big thing, it becomes incredibly difficult and tedious to chase round sign ups and eventually end up with 7 or 8 drivers if you use unusual content..

Now we have some plans, and some work going on in the background that may well help support modding and online adoption of modding, but I can't talk about that yet... :) Watch this space :)

@Paul Jeffrey I know you support and promote the modding as much as you possibly can, which is great, but the 4 examples you gave are only track mods.

What about cars?, i.e

RSR F3 Cup Mod - Well Established, been around for a while now, and one that I feel is the best
Nissan BTCC Mod - same as above
Seat Leon Eurocup - I know, one of mine, but really enjoyed by the community.

Just a couple to mention:D:thumbsup:

1. Is it mod quality?
2. Do you find installation of said content difficult?
3. Mismatches online cause you problems?
Ad.1. Most mods are good enough, so no problem there.

Ad.2. Is it hard? I dunno, most mods comes with installation guide and most games have easy to understand; file and folder structure unless the devs don't want you to mod their game.

Ad.3. No, don't think so, but it can be a problem for modders and mod users if the game is getting patch after patch I'm looking at you AC... Steam workshop would be ideal for this problem but that fixes only the user part (you will have always up to date version of the mod). But it is still massive problem for modders (they just can't go to do other project because work that was done is not working, or don't have sound (very common) or cameras are all over the place.

As I remember in GTR2 there were leagues that played only mods like WEC/GT1/GT2/GT3/F1. I play very rarely MP in Sim-Racing if at all (maybe because no one I know is playing them). I prefer SP experience I just can't deal with the netcodes, lag compensation, hit detection, etc. I have that in spades in FPS's, thank you very much. But to give example ArmA 3 lives because of mods and it is hard to find vanilla servers.
I also don't think visibility of mods is a problem if you are PC gamer you know about mods one type in google and boom.

@Paul Jeffrey I know you support and promote the modding as much as you possibly can, which is great, but the 4 examples you gave are only track mods.

What about cars?, i.e

But everyone knows that cars are so arcane and difficult to understand that only game devs can possibly make them (although, strangely, all game devs make them perfectly every time.) All mod cars have clown physics. That's just fact.

the-physics-of-clown-cars-feature-car-and-driver-photo-386399-s-original.jpg

As a child born in the early 90's I always loved racecars, spent hours of watching the pictures of old prototypes and 24h LM races in magazines and dreamed of driving those cars, but even as a I child I realized that those days are gone, I am way too late to be a Porsche 917LH driver for example.
In 2012 I have started to make some researches and chose a rather old platform to see what we can do about these dreams: rFactor 1.
The modding possibilities of that game were insane, of course the graphics felt a bit rusty and also some gameplay mechanism, but I was able to make Custom Races, with tons of Le Mans related mods from different eras.
Probably my best experience was VirtuaLM's GTPC mod with their tracks (Le Mans, Fuji, Sebring, Mid Ohio etc.) and also with a little addition (carrera.4's 80's track pack).
The amount of cars and the details was just amazing and also spent long hours just running around the track in testing mode for the sake of driving.
Now I am 25 years old and I would like to leave here a huge thank you for the devs of rF1 and also the Virtua LM team for fulfilling a car loving kid's dreams, still running those 80's beasts.

Personally I have never had problems with installing mods, especially if you love something enough you will find a way to educate yourself to a level, where you install safely and customize the mod to your liking, the internet is your friend just like the sim racing communities.

Coming from the Battlefield 1942/2 community and playing a lot of ArmA aswell I can't emphasize on how important mods are for gaming and how they expand the gaming experience, not only for the people using the mods but also for the modders. The argument that some people allways bring, that they have to lurk through piles of crap content to find anything good, is pretty much nonesense because nobody has to do anything and at the end nobody is forced to use a mod even if the game allows for it. It is also important to note that alot of people who are working for game studios now, started their work with modding in one way or another or games that started as mods became great games at the end.

What I really would like to see is developers who have open platforms (rF2, AC and AMS) to allow for a better integration of the workshop and it's a big surprise for me that there hasn't been done more in that dircetion. ArmA 3 has pretty much the best solution as there are tags for the content in the workshop. This requires a bit of handling the tags with some common sense by the modders, but it works very well for 99% of the content, and there are something like 40k items in the workshop. That says alot tbh.

On a last note @Paul Jeffrey: I would really appreciate it when the news on RD had more emphasize on mods. I remember a few years back we had news about mods pretty much on all main sim sites (RD, Bsimracing and vR) on a regular base but today there is allmost zero information and exposure. Instead we get news about the x-th iteration of Nascar Heat or whatever half baken console racer it is.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 236 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 233 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 296 13.4%