Have Your Say: Mods and Sims and the Complications of Installing

• ronniej

I find doing Time trials with friends much more rewarding and fun than going online and using a set of rules and hoping everyone plays nice ...RD is an exception, as I've had a couple of fun races along with a checkered flag but scheduling, and it feels more serious and I'm not into serious anymore, or teamspeak.
I'm not that good of a racer anyway, that's why my ego gets stroked much easier when I play alone.:x3:

• ronniej

In fact,@Paul Jeffrey would it be an idea to have a "Time Trial Competition" on your servers ?...Perhaps a player could have 3 shots at it with a certain car/track and if it were to become popular, they could start an elimination series like they do in drag racing...or something?:coffee:

*just membered...R3E has this with some of their competitions. However, it would be a lot of fun with rF2, Assetto corsa and even AMS

In fact,@Paul Jeffrey would it be an idea to have a "Time Trial Competition" on your servers ?...Perhaps a player could have 3 shots at it with a certain car/track and if it were to become popular, they could start an elimination series like they do in drag racing...or something?:coffee:
That would be amazing , Time Attack Tuesday or something like Screenshot Sunday ,
each week pick a sim and everyone uploads screenshots of there times :D

Thinking about it again, and not sure if you agree with me, it the "seriousness" level that people look and think about the use of MODS.

All semi / serious leagues seem to use official content only, why, well it's a safe bet. If you use a mod, it seems to be classed as fun / lower level racing which is not true.

If somebody like RD for example, took the bold step and used a mod for a major series, that was aimed at the professional level, I think they might be surprised, esp when they have a mod, on here that is updated, looked after and going to be used by professional drivers as a driving aid / tool.

To me, mods like that are a no brainier?

well, we did that, RD ran the first and/or second endurance racing series with the enduracers mod for rFactor. I do not remember if it worked well or not. I only remember my team never reaching the finish because of some technical issue or other along the way, I suppose we never figured out if it was the mod, the game or just us klutzes. Other teams must have finished, because at the end of the series there was a credible winner. Others here at RD may remember better, it's sth. like six or seven years past, I guess.

Reactions: CC
I have seen a Fiat 500 that was modded that had the speed of an Indy oval car and better cornering than an F1. Yet it fit in the same car class as a stock Fiat 500. If a car can be modded once, there is no reason it can't be modded again by someone that knows how to do it. I would rather race in a car that is fair and has a chance in a race. Sure 90% of the modded cars are used by people that don't or can't cheat, but some people will always cheat. You can tell me that Steam Valve prevents it, but I have seen cars that were way too fast to be true in a lot of classes. I don't have a problem with losing, but when I see the fast guys getting dusted, I know something is up.

@Eckhart von Glan

Like you said, this is a few years ago now, time/ Mod Qual / and driver standards have moved on since then, in a controlled environment.

@Tim Chitwood I agree with you, mods like should not be entertained but at least with AC I know this, the server owners can stop this by uploading their data.acd file to the server, so no hacks / amendments can be used

well, we did that, RD ran the first and/or second endurance racing series with the enduracers mod for rFactor. I do not remember if it worked well or not. I only remember my team never reaching the finish because of some technical issue or other along the way, I suppose we never figured out if it was the mod, the game or just us klutzes. Other teams must have finished, because at the end of the series there was a credible winner. Others here at RD may remember better, it's sth. like six or seven years past, I guess.
be nice with a RD history post , looking back over the years I bet at least a decade :D

OK as we are talking MODS and online game play, can I put this out there.

I have a mod, as some of you know, and been told its very good, thank you all for that. I approached RD on holding not only a series but a fully sponsored series, I mean if you win or come 2nd / 3rd you will get money in your bank and 2 x diff classes, PRO and AM class get the same prize money.
This is funded by a Ginetta driver himself as he saw the potential.

Like I said, this is AC and PC only, but who would be up for that?

• ronniej

OK as we are talking MODS and online game play, can I put this out there.

I have a mod, as some of you know, and been told its very good, thank you all for that. I approached RD on holding not only a series but a fully sponsored series, I mean if you win or come 2nd / 3rd you will get money in your bank and 2 x diff classes, PRO and AM class get the same prize money.
This is funded by a Ginetta driver himself as he saw the potential.

Like I said, this is AC and PC only, but who would be up for that?
Definitely, however, it becomes a scheduling thing (Sundays usually sort this out) and promotion of the event so enough interest is there. Myself, I have been driving the Ginetta GT4 and Supercup cars a lot lately so I would have the confidence to sign up...(the Ginetta driver who is funding will likely get his money back in race prizes! lol)

(the Ginetta driver who is funding will likely get his money back in race prizes! lol)

No, actually it is just a promotion of his company, so the use of window banner etc, and replays on here / you tube, was enough. As the racing season has stopped as I said / suggested about promotion throughout the winter period...

Made sense to me :)

• ronniej

@Shaun Clarke It would be very cool indeed to be able to compare yourself with a RL racer of the same car though...In any competition, as that would be the ultimate promotion tool imo.

I really like the "Time Trial" idea as well...What say you? @Paul Jeffrey
Answer me dammit:D...I'm the one in the back row with my keyboard and monitors with my hand up yelling Me!,me!me! Mr jeffrey!,Me!me!

I also find it a little disappointing, the reluctance of mod use in some sims online.

For a couple of years, I have been running a daily server with new, up to date, interesting and stable mod content (mostly just tracks with official and DLC cars)

AC tracks like Thompson, Bridgehampton, Fuji68, Donnington, Road Atlanta, Road America, Riverside, VIR. All of these tracks are incredibly well done, with great potential for vintage, or class lapping and/racing.

If I get more than 3 or 4 drivers a night, it is unusual.

We always have a great time, and the mood is relaxed and mature.

In the case of AC, I think many users look at the list of servers, and see an entry that has some of it's content in the "red" text, or they have the "don't show servers with missing content" button enabled, and just move on.

If there was a comment box for each server on the AC server listing allowing for more info such as "download this new amazing track from Race Department" or just more info about the server, it would increase the online mod adoption.

Trying to show a quasi link in the name of your server, is just confusing.

Currently most of the online mods in AC are restricted to Drift servers which is great, but I would like to see more participation on some of the other mod servers.

I use certain apps (are these mods or not, don't really know) like crewchief and plp for example ans think they can be really useful.

Trackmods have to be really good before I think of driving them. As I race AC I definitely prefer the laserscanned tracks, but there are several other good tracks created by modders though. I only race online in a league and will only install these tracks when they are up on the calendar. Otherwise I always stick to vannila content.

Concerning cars: I don't participate in leagues with modcars. The idea just doesn't interest me, although the car itself often seems more interesting than the Acvanilla content. The majority of mods is still too much guesswork imo although I really believe there are guys out there that know their stuff. For me the possibility of (using) modding (modded content) really isn't necessary. There are enough challenges in the base content.
Also if something goes wrong on the server it often has to do with the modded content being used.

I really like the "Time Trial" idea as well...What say you? @Paul Jeffrey
Answer me dammit:D...I'm the one in the back row with my keyboard and monitors with my hand up yelling Me!,me!me! Mr jeffrey!,Me!me!

Well the answer is...

I have no comment / knowledge or authority in this area of the site :D lol

However our senior club racing manager might want to chime in.. @Brewer could you share your thoughts please sir ? :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 135 13.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 103 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 95 9.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 72 7.1%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 141 13.8%