Have Your Say: Is The Future Electric?

Endurance-Series will never become electric.

Though, e-Power isn't that green at all. Just do a little research what chemicals and other enviromental poison are used to build the batteries for that cars. Still, there's another problem: The durability of the batteries. The amount of possible loading-capacity will decrease a few percent every time you go recharge it. It will only become popular a few decades, before poeple get to know about the problems. I can imagine, how expensive it would be to get a new battery in it or to expose it after all.

It will be the same way the Diesel is going. Now, everyone gets exited, nobody cares about the problems or will say "Uh, it's just a matter of time to get rid of the problems". Nope, it would not. In 40 years, there will be another scandal like the one we have now with Diesel and cartel-agreements. And that would be the end of electric motorsports as well.

See, I made these exact points to someone else years ago when they were telling me how fantastic for the environment electric cars were.

You need rare materials to even make the batteries in the first place, which means only a finite amount can even be made. While fuel runs out for internal combustion to run on making them useless, materials to make batteries runs out and makes electric cars useless.

Then you have the charging of the batteries. You'll have to produce considerably more power to allow all those people you herded into buying electric to charge the cars up every evening. That means huge amounts of infrastructure for more power generation, which you likely won't get from solar and wind alone.

Then, when the battery is dead, broken, or the car is disposed of, you have toxic batteries that need clearing up.

It's a false economy, and the same thing will happen with electric as is happening with diesel in the UK - people were urged to buy diesel under the promise it was cleaner, now they are being told it's not and are being taxed here, there and everywhere because it's not clean. Once the truth about electric cars comes out, it'll be this all over again.

Electric is not the future, it is a fad that will be overtaken by something later, be it hydrogen or some undiscovered tech. It has too many drawbacks to be useful, and shifts the environmental issues from the car itself to the production stage. But whatever makes the middle class feel less guilty, huh?

Let's face it in a purely environmental view motor racing is a anachronism and a pretty pointless use of resources it serves very little relevance to modern travel, car companies like to pretend otherwise to advertise their products and spin you a company motto like the current Mercedes-Benz slogan is “The best or nothing" it's just PR crap.

How many people buy a Mercedes because they have dominated F1 recently or why have Mclaren's car sales not tanked because the F1 team is so poor. It appears to bear no relevance.

Perhaps the future of motorsport is without the manufacturers but then who would fund it, then again perhaps the costs would be significantly less.

Until motorsport figures out what it wants to be either a form of entertainment or a form of advertising then the writing is on the wall for combustion engine motorsport.

:(

Car makers care about selling stuff making money and keeping a good brand image. The future is clearly electric so just enjoy what we have left right now and stop being such cry babies.
Car makers are very good at branding and identity hence why they can make dull euro boxes look exciting by taking them touring car racing, look at the current Toyota rally car FFS!

Its years away, but no point crying about car makers wanting a piece of the Formual E pie as its something they realise they need as they need to be selling electric cars over the next few decades, may as well start developing the brand now.... its really basic stuff, really basic.

we're getting to watch transition live and in colour and transition is always good because life does have a tendency to favour change over stagnation. I will miss parts of it just like I miss parts of having been a 20-year-old college student back in the day. But other bits I will gladly forget, like there are bits about the 20-year-old me I gladly shed. so, all in a day's work.

Now that it's coming to RF2 I'm gonna have to like it :D

Seriously though is it the future? Possibly yes, judging by the UK banning all Petrol cars by 2040 (the end is nigh) then the time is right to start pushing Electric Racing more to further gain popularity in future car buyers.

Now if only they could add some huge speakers with a massive Bass and have a V8 Sound file on Loop then all would be good!

Clearly, electric cars have nothing to do with motorsport. This Formula E represents the end of motorsport and they'd better stop this joke as soon as possible before sponsors and audience disappeared totally...

I can't see this "excitation" about electric race cars anywhere. This is just pure virtual hype on the net, but the FE grandstands remain almost empty., and the TV audience, well LOL...

All the race events, rally, hillclimbs I'm going almost each week-ends, people just don't want to hear about it, and they see it coming as the worse thing that ever happened in motorsport history.
OK, you got it, it's an absolute NO, NEVER, EVER ! :p

This^^^^^ :thumbsup:

I don't believe electric cars are The Future.

For starters the petrol makers will not sit idly by and allow all the greenies to destroy their plans to keep oil based fuels around for the next 5+ decades. They will lobby their respective political parties like never before, and political donations hold much weight to a cash strapped government, no matter what country they govern.

As far as Atmospheric Warming goes (the globe/planet is actually cooling) it's a natural phenomena of our living planet.

Science has proven to a point, that the reason we are seeing many of these weather events globally is not solely based on human consumption of fossil fuels, but moreso the massive uncontrolled clearing of forests and jungles world wide over the past 30yrs, which is the true cause of Atmospheric Warming.

Trees/plants are the life blood of the planet and all that inhabit it, without trees/plants we will suffocate the planet, and all on it, in CO2, trees/plants are the key to reducing global warming, not the reduction of fossil fuels, as they would like us to believe, trees/plants actually lock CO2 up in the timber in the form of carbon it's part of a plants/trees function. If you look at the fact 3,721million hectares of trees are cut down in a year globally, to pave the way for plantations, farms, housing estates etc, the reduction in CO2 to Oxygen conversion is growing at alarming rates.

Do not be fooled by the Global Warming con put forth by the UN & governments who are guilty of lies and deceit, when the UN commissioned some 100 environmental scientists to conduct a global study of the alleged threat of global warming, they weren't happy with all they learned, and when it came to publishing this info, they only published certain data, this raised the eyebrow of some of the scientists who were part of the study, these scientist's released their own findings which contradicted the UN's publications that Global Warming was/is a major threat.

Also, to add weight to this lets look at some rarely talked about facts.
1 volcano can spew forth more CO2 in a single eruption than we can put out in 10 years of fossil fuel use. There are 6 active volcanoes that we can observe releasing millions of tons of CO2, there are many more below the oceans that can not be monitored, but still emit hundreds of tons of CO2 daily.

Then there's the thawing of frozen tundra in Russia and Canada, which give off tons of methane gas, and lets not forget the 1.468 billion cattle world wide that also give off hundreds of tons of methane gas daily.

Remember the Ozone holes, don't hear about that any more do you, because it was a natural event that has it's own life cycle, same as El Nino & Le Nino weather systems, natural global events, same as the ice ages of which there has been several.

All I can say is, Don't be taken in by all this global warming doom and gloom BS, sure, we need to clean up our act as the dominant animal on this planet, but this global warming hype is no different than the Y2K bug, someone is set to profit hugely from it, electric cars are part of the hype.

If the powers that be were truly serious about global warming, solar power plants would be getting built everywhere, and coal fired power would be closed down asap, but how else do you recharge your electric car?

Sorry for the epic post:whistling::whistling:

Lets be serious for once:

You all love the sound and the smell of non electric cars.

But in the end it is about performance and electric cars will essily outperform non electric cars once they can last longer than they do now. And this will be solved. The development of these cars is right at the beginning. Thats like looking at the first petrol engines. Compare them to today...

Electric cars are the future if you like it or not.
The racing wont be worse.

Only thing that bothers me is the lack of sound which takes away quite a lot from the experience.

Correct, it's :poop:

Seen them race once, test three times (at Donington Park) and each and every time it leaves me cold. This is coming from someone who actually wanted it to succeed (at first, as a side distraction). Now I feel (as a purist) it is killing many of the things I love about the sport..

Now an electric touring car series on the other hand....
It's lacking a bit of substance.. What leaves you cold? The sound or on-track action. I think people underestimate the difference between a racing fan and a petrolhead. You can be both, but sound isn't part of the "sport". Shouldn't a "purist" in racing even car about sound? I don't have the numbers or knowhow to even measure it, but there's much more wheel to wheel action in Formula E than in F1 nowadays.

P.S. You forget to add a leafblower when you're talking about F1.
ad.png

What makes me laugh about the recent UK announcement to ban petrol and diesel cars by 2040 is that electric brings about it's own issues. Last year we had a few times when the UK's power grid was maxxed out and there was a few times where certain areas were in darkness for a day or two. Now add to that the 36 million (Or a lot more in 2040) registered UK vehicles which are now going to be 'plugging in' every day I think that the need for another couple of UK based Nuclear Power Plants will be in order or we will all be in darkness and going nowhere.

I don't know whether the mobile future indeed is guaranteed already to be electric, there are quite some often ignored complications speaking against it, and alternative concepts avoiding some of the electrification's inherent problems (while adding new ones).

But I think what is a safe bet is that the time of wide-spread use of gasoline-driven combustion engines is coming to an end over this century.

Different world regions will vary fundamentally in timetables for replacing fossile industries and infrastructure with new ones. And the biggest birth rates you have in Africa and SE Asia.

• Deleted member 6919

The UK couldn't go electric full blown, the cost just to try and implement it would just be ridiculous, it's just a conservative announcement to get support, also 2040 is just the banning of the selling, it would take another 20 years after that to get the petrol/diesel cars off the road, and maybe longer, electric batteries are shite they have a short life span, there also bloody expensive for a replacements, that's without the cost of the car itself, hydro is the better alternative, what ever happens best of luck to the very young generation and thank f*** I wont be around for it..:p

For those that say, they will miss the sound of a combustion engine, car manufacturers are already on the case
Audi creates sounds for electric car
Hybrid Makers Add Artificial sound for safety in the future, guess they could employ Fonsecker to add sounds to their electric cars.

For those that say, they will miss the sound of a combustion engine, car manufacturers are already on the case
Audi creates sounds for electric car
Hybrid Makers Add Artificial sound for safety in the future, guess they could employ Fonsecker to add sounds to their electric cars.
Or they put a windscreen wiper to the interor of the car, cause many drivers will add missing engine sounds by themselves, just like they´ve done as little boys with their matchbox cars...:whistling:

2040 is long time in future... it´s a political date and an easy to uncover attempt by the british government to keep their people away from recognition of their total incompetence in brexit talks(after that desaster they won`t have the money for their infrastructure plans) - so many time to change mind... or replace the ecars by something better. And guess what happens when all the hipsters and green party voters suddenly been confronted with the fact that hundreds of new nuclear power plants all around the world will be build, only to power up their slot cars...

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back