Have Your Say: Has LMP1 Prototype Racing Had Its Day?

The MGU is from the hybrid unit xD. 2 MGU, 1 clutch, 1 oil pressure, and the ByKolles IDK.

Look at the LMP2. Very reliable engines. Not supercomplex engines.

The MGUs never caused retirements. They were both changed. The #2 had the MGU changed and won the race, whilst the #8 had the MGU changed and finished 9th. The only retirements were clutch failure, engine failure and driver failure.

The ByKolles went off on lap 1 and destroyed the nose on the rumble strips on the exit of Tertre Rouge. The nose collapsed and blocked the cooling ducts to the engine, which cooked the engine. It technically retired because the engine failed, but it failed because a driver went off and damaged the cooling system.

People say the hybrids are too complicated and need binned, and that's why we had a high retirement rate. That isn't what happened. The sparky sparky stuff all worked and when it broke, it was fixed. It was the good old fashioned roundy round and uppy downy bits that broke. Shall we get rid of internal combustion engines too now? Had a lot of tyre failures...maybe we don't need these round rubber things either.

Last edited:
That's just how the whole global warming histeria works. They direct it using government instead of keeping the gov away and let people choose. And it's also the reason I just don't believe it. :D
Same :poop: happens in racing "We want innovation, but must be done this way, if you do different you can't race"

You don't believe in global warming because governments are trying to prevent it? You dismiss the overwhelming support from the scientific community simply because many government officials don't dismiss it? I can see (somewhat) in skepticism over global warming, but I can't see basing that skepticism on the fact that some governments are trying to address it.

The MGU is from the hybrid unit xD. 2 MGU, 1 clutch, 1 oil pressure, and the ByKolles IDK.

Look at the LMP2. Very reliable engines. Not supercomplex engines.

The point of endurance racing is to push the technology envelope. I don't really see the point of creating a class in which everyone uses the same power plant, which uses well proven technology that is known to be reliable and then making that class the top level at Le Mans. That defeats the entire purpose of the race. I already know that any manufacturer can build a 600 hp DOHC V8 that can run all day and night.

When I watch the 24, I don't want or expect a sprint race in which the fastest car over a lap should typically win. Reliability and attrition should play a significant role in the race, which is what we saw. I thought it was a great race over the weekend.

That's just how the whole global warming histeria works. They direct it using government instead of keeping the gov away and let people choose. And it's also the reason I just don't believe it. :D
Same :poop: happens in racing "We want innovation, but must be done this way, if you do different you can't race"

Yes, and the earth is flat.

LMP1's should be in the race, they're relevant to road car tech - more efficient engines and hybrid systems that could/should be integrated in future cars to lower fuel consumption drastically. Manufactures just needs to pull their heads out of their arse and stop copying Hondas impressive failure rate.

I found the race very entertaining. While I cringe at the thought of the increased hybrid demands in 2020 I also realize that hybrid/electric/alternate fuels are the only way racing will remain. I laughed at the thought of a diesel racing at Le Mans until I saw what that Audi did.

When Audi went hybrid I did not laugh and waited for them to win again.

While it may be disconcerting to some to see so many LMP1's drop out we forget, as one poster has been trying to remind us, Le Mans (and Daytona and Sebring and Petite, etc...) are about racing over a whole 24/12/10 hours. Breakdowns have been and always will be a part of such a race and should be expected. Do I want to see a car charge back from 19 laps down to win because everyone else dropped out?

Yeah, I do. That is what keeps me coming back to watch every year; exactly what Porsche was able to do. I was not able to stay up to watch the last five plus hours of the race but before I turned the TV off I did some quick math and determined the second Porsche could come blasting back through the field and make it a 1-2 ending for Porsche. That they were able to survive and win was a happy conclusion for me, an Audi fan.

The GTE Pro race was fantastic the whole time I watched, even though the Corvette did not win, and overall this was the most entertaining race I have seen in a few years.

As a lifelong, 51 year old racing fan I lament the "Good Old Days" where Derek Bell stated that people came to watch fast cars race, not fast cars save gas. I like the loud engines, the exhaust, the visceral rumble of the Vette as it goes by.

But I also know that for racing to survive it must change with the times. We should celebrate the old and welcome the new. If we do not welcome the new, if we insist on staying with the past, we will lose more than we think we gain.

I will take this years 24 any other time, one of the best times I had watching a race.

How much truth there is in this I don't know but as most of you would have noticed during the race, one of the LMP2 drivers gave the thumbs up to the leading Toyota at the end of the pit lane (during a 1am safety car period), Kobayashi thinking it was a marshal (identical orange overalls) tried to leave the pits, then had to quickly stop when he realised the light was still red. The abuse to the clutch probably caused (or helped towards) the cars retirement.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2017/06/20/capillaire-responds-to-fake-marshal-incident.html

Something tells me Capillaire won't be getting any Toyota job offers in the near future...

lol F1 getting out of the hybrid business? where did you get that impression?? are ferrari, mercedes, bmw, honda, etc getting out as well?

if you want the best engines you have to play by the best manufacturers rules. that's more true at le mans than F1, but i've heard nothing about suppliers wanting to dedicate hundreds of millions on naturally aspirated V10s.

This is the original source from the FIA meeting in April regarding possible changes for the 2021 season and beyond. It is an early discussion granted but reports during the Canadian GP weekend suggest that F1 and engine development may no longer be viable and F1 would continue with pushing technology in other areas just not with engines. The link follows:
http://www.fia.com/news/fia-holds-meeting-regarding-future-formula-one-power-units

Regarding P1, it would appear that they have an even bigger issue with only 2 manufacturers at present. Again, develop other areas of the car maybe and look at less costly engine units or go hydrogen since no pro league is doing that it seems.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back