F1 2017 Have Your Say: F1 2017 by Codemasters - What We Want to See

F1 2017 The Game (Codemasters)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
F1 2017 Have Your Say Article.jpg

F1 2017 is due to release for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC later this year and we wondered what the community would like once the new game hit's the shelves...

Very little is known about the new Formula One game from Codemasters at present, other than it will build on last years fairly successful addition to the franchise, and it will include the new cars and regulations of the 2017 Formula One season.

It is exceptionally likely Codemasters will continue their strategy of releasing to both console and PC platforms (with a probable mobile version following after release day), however other than that the British devs have been remarkably quiet over the last months whilst work continues back at the studio developing the new title.

Historically Codemasters haven't been the most innovative studio in the racing game industry, often only lightly tinkering with the base game year on year in a quest to ensure deadlines and schedules are maintained and the paying public continue to get their Formula One fix each season. However despite that long running reputation from the past, Codemasters have released genuinely quality products recently with the recent DiRT Rally and Formula One 2016 marking a significant upswing in fortunes for a team once spoken about in the very highest regard with respect to their racing game output. Early previews from the devs indicate the upcoming DiRT 4 title looks well on the way to becoming a big hit with fans as well, so the question is will Codies make the most of the momentum currently behind them and hit the ball out of the park with the new Formula One game?

As alluded to earlier in the article, with so little known about what players can expect to find in Formula One 2017 we thought it might be a bit of fun to do some good old speculation / wish list and dream scenario discussions!

So the question we would like to ask is:

What features / content / options and functionality would you like to see make an appearance in Formula One 2017?

I for one am looking forward to some of the creative responses I'm sure our community can come up with in the comments section. Personally I'd like a game that works out of the box, has believable handling and offers a sincere and challenging driving experience, whilst at the same time offering a usable and stable online environment suitable for clubs such as our own to setup organised league and club racing events. Not really a big ask for 2017, but the decisions some people make means those requests are not necessarily a guarantee for a new game....

The stage is yours people, let the comments commence...... :)

If you want to meet up and discuss F1 2017 in more detail with your fellow fans of the series, feel free to head on over to the Formula One 2017 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved in the conversation today!

Last edited:
Manual driving in the whole race. Both in the finish of the formation lap and in pit stops. It is very annoying that the game takes over when you pull into the pits and running out again. There may also like to be a key to limit speed when driving in the pit. It's a big part of the race, the pit stop are close to perfect.

Haven't seen anyone mentioning this,I would like to be able to customize my rev lights..Like the way they light up, in which order , and when...Can't be difficult right?
Oh , more failures, ERS just like in Assetto Corsa maybe, cool down lap if possible, self-driving while in pits(i know its difficult, if not please give us the Speed Limit Button...)

Anyway... I really want customizable rev lights...
(Anyone who knows how to modify rev lights in F1 2016 pleeeease...just teach me please....)

After re-installing and playing F1 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 back to back tonight (I lost my 2010).....

#1 was better force feedback but I see that is being worked on.

#2 Ability to skip tutorials/information speeches - simple press "esc" key would do.

#3 How much fuel does a car have in Time Trial mode? Is specifying fuel load something we can do? Or have in the future? I use Time Trial mode as my practice sessions to work on setups. Unless someone can suggest something better?

#4 Formation Lap

Last edited:
  1. Make the AI better. Get them to stop turning into you, fix their behavior in specific corners that are especially bad for them, and add some actual visible variety to their driving styles so they don't all do the same thing every time.
  2. Get rid of the minmaxing in practice sessions. The credits-based approach to career mode and car upgrades is absolutely awful at the moment - it's in no way balanced, it encourages minmaxing for credits as opposed to actually improving yourself or testing things for the race (the tyre conservation tests are especially bad for this), and it makes the sessions needlessly tedious and unfun as you need to do upwards of 34 laps (imagine that at Spa) just to get all the credits possible in the 3 practice sessions, without actually caring about how it affects your eventual race performance (which would make the required lap count fine). And if you actually do it, the game is beatable in a single season in literally any car even on Ultimate, just like in 2010 and 2011, since nobody can keep up with you. Take away some of the control you have over the rate at which you get new parts, and instead focus on the actual race weekend.
  3. Better career immersion. It's not good right now. And on that note, change or get rid of the TV-style presentation. It was mediocre in 2015 and even worse in 2016 as Crofty, instead of using unique lines for each track, now rehashes a lot of them almost from track to track. There is no variety in his or Ant's lines, so past the first 5 races there's absolutely no reason not to skip them, completely destroying whatever little immersion there was to begin with. 2010 and 2011 are still a lot better at this, and that's saying something. You currently have no reason to give a damn about anyone or anything besides minmaxing and driving endlessly, which, given #2, frankly makes it no better than 2015's season mode.
  4. More focus on reliability. The current system (faux engine damage, yet you get a new engine every session) is hilariously stupid and in no way realistic, and even for the AIs the only issues you see from them are either temporary slowdowns or engine blowouts.
  5. Optimize your bloody game! 2016 runs like absolute arse compared to 2015 - 40 less FPS, bad AA, stutters and slowdowns, you name 'em. CM are prioritizing consoles far too much at the moment, which ultimately makes for a much worse experiences for the systems that absolutely can handle a lot more than that, and right now you really don't need much at all to outperform a console.
  6. More things to do in the car, like ERS manipulation akin to AC's SF15-T. It's not very important, but it adds to the experience.
  7. Easily accessible telemetry, for obvious reasons. Having more things to look at and analyze in order to improve our pace is never a bad thing, and if F1Challenge 99-02 did it, there's no reason for this series not to do it as well.
  8. Get rid of the modding and damage model restrictions. This one's on the FIA and the sponsors though, and they need to be punched in the face for being disgusting money-hungry idiots.
Other things, such as manual driving everywhere etc, are just minor inconveniences that can easily be ignored, and frankly, the FFB is also fine for the first time ever in the series unless you're the kind of person who prefers feeling the weight transfer as opposed to the track grip, which in a game like this will make you a lot slower anyway. Right now, the feeling of traction out of corners is even better than AC's and completely obliterates AMS's, which is commendable for a simcade. A few other changes to the handling model to suit simracers while also giving options for more casual fans would be good too, but given what 2016 already accomplishes on that front, I don't see it as something that should be focused on too much at the moment. The game isn't marketed primarily for simracers and neither should it be, because at the end of the day, unlike AC or AMS, it still needs to be a game.

Last edited:
I would like to see in F1 2017
Pit lane limiter manual button you have to drive in and slow down and then press pit limiter button.
This was on a previous F1 game by you guys.
Better force feedback on thrustmaster and Logitech wheels.
Be able to use more options on the Thrustmaster T500rs f1 wheel so we can change our set up as we are driving round the track.
Allow us to make our own helmet designs.
I would love to be able to design my own helmet and show it off.
if you flat spot a wheel then you get the vibration through the wheel.
warm up lap to start where you can point the car in any direction and get a time penalty if you are off your marks in your grid box like in the real f1. And what you do in the warm up lap effects your race start. ie laying down rubber will give you better grip to start your race etc.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back