Have Your Say: DLC Culture, Has it Gone Too Far?

What makes it a sim is using appropriate mathematical models from the real world to determine the gameplay.
Ok, I will play with you...
You believe the above statement, yes.
You just described programming..
Explain the not real F1 cars, that are not F1 cars in some games?
Like in RaceRoom, or Auto-thingy...
'Mathematical models from the real world'....really?
Are you sure.
From where exactly?
They are not 'real' cars from the 'real world' are they?
So where does the 'real' data come from?
If the car does not exist.
Bit awkward...
Maybe the game makers just copy and paste...
It has been done before..
Merc in AC comes to mind.
Still, it's only a game.
True?

The ultimate rip-off was Live For Speed's S3 DLC. one track (Rockingham) for GBP12.00, with the promise of much more. A promise which has led to nothing so far.
They have been pretty clear that they themselves even have no idea what is going to be included in the s3. They have never promised anything more. If you can find that promise from somewhere then post it here.

The Japanese Car Pack is pre-order exclusive DLC (1993 Nissan Skyline R32 Group A, 1979 Nissan 280ZX GTX, Honda Civic Type R, Honda 2&4 Concept Car) and the Motorsport Pack is Season Pass exclusive content (1974 Jaguar E-Type V12 Group 44, 1997 Panoz Esperante GTR-1, 1991 Audi V8 DTM, 2016 Opel Astra TCR). They announced these in May; the game comes out in September.

That's not stuff being "held back" though is it, it's available release day to those who get the relevant pre order pack.

The way I see it is I'm supporting the Devs the same way I'm supporting a Musician/Band, they sell the main product (the game/album) and I buy extra afterwards to help them a long their way (DLC/T-shirts at a gig), something like that anyway!

That's not stuff being "held back" though is it, it's available release day to those who get the relevant pre order pack.

It's content that's complete on release day that's not available on release day unless you pay extra for it, so it tends to sting just the same. (Even if, yes, the content on the disc necessarily has to be finished way before the DLC which can be worked on between when the game goes gold and becomes available for sale.) There's a bit of sting as a consumer that it's not content being developed to support a title and increase its lifespan, but just stuff that could be in the game by default that you only get if you pay up before the reviews are out.

DLCs are a problem for new players because it can get confusing. I think they should just be combined together in one package after a while (I don't know, 3 months?), so the game followers can have the latest stuff immediately and the new people can easily get up to speed. Just do a DLC "all-in-one" package with all the DLC stuff combined, leaving the single DLCs also individually available. For example: AC vanilla, AC + all DLCs, all DLCs, each single DLC.

On the other hand, thanks to DLCs developers can continue to develop the game. Still talking about AC, it is a game from 2014 (early access) which is very well alive and kicking in 2017, and that's a good thing.

It's content that's complete on release day that's not available on release day unless you pay extra for it, so it tends to sting just the same. (Even if, yes, the content on the disc necessarily has to be finished way before the DLC which can be worked on between when the game goes gold and becomes available for sale.) There's a bit of sting as a consumer that it's not content being developed to support a title and increase its lifespan, but just stuff that could be in the game by default that you only get if you pay up before the reviews are out.

Yeah I'm not happy with that but many are moaning about stuff that is complete and will be held back for future DLC. SMS are not doing that as far as I know.

Not a huge fan of DLC, but not a hater either. Support the devs you like and don't support the ones you don't (personally I support all the devs (on PC)).

I love DLCs.
They put more high quality content in the games i love and i can enjoy them even more.
I don't mind dropping some Euros on those DLCs as creators deserve compensation.

Now there are of course black coulds in the sky:

* If you're EA, just don't do it, you always screw it up...

* Day 1 DLC is an absolute no-go.
Even if you have the content already finished but feel like consumers should pay extra for it, for christ's sake hold it back at least a month or two...

* DLC removing parts of the game (like the real ending of Dead Space 3(? or 2?))

* DLC splitting the online playerbase
I am well aware that this is a tough one, but just like you can race against DLC cars you don't own in R3E and the absolutely awesome DLC solution of Payday 2 (although they now packed it all together in an ultimate version), you should think beforehand how you can have DLCs without splitting the playerbase.

It basically only comes down to one thing: Does the developer love his game and wants the world to play it, or is the game just a mean of making money.
Developers with passion usually have a playerbase which is hungry and thankful for DLCs ;)

It's the modern world. We are conditioned to want new stuff every so often, even if it means buying the same cars, tracks etc that we have been buying and racing forever. If that weren't the case then studios wouldn't be able to sell them.

Ok, I will play with you...
What would you like to play? AMS? rF2? AC?...GTR2?

You just described programming..
No, I can program something without any mathematical models.

10 Print "#RealWorldPhysicsMatter"
20 Goto 10

Programming != Physics

'Mathematical models from the real world'....really? Are you sure. From where exactly?
Yes, I'm sure, from various branches of physics actually. They have mathematical models that allow you to determine meaningful numbers so you can predict real world behaviour before you actually build something.

They are not 'real' cars from the 'real world' are they? So where does the 'real' data come from? If the car does not exist. Bit awkward...
No it's not awkward at all. How do you think real world engineers develop things? The car can be fictional or non existent but if you know the parameters of various aspects (mass, wing details, suspension geometry, tyre structure...) you can put that data in to mathematical models that will represent how it will behave. Modern computers allow for more use of those models to create a more realistic driving experience in a game.

Still, it's only a game. True?
Yes, it's a game. A game in the sim genre if it models real world systems and physics laws. The more it models, the more sim it becomes but it can still be a game.

I nearly started a thread to answer you but it didn't feel right for me to do that. If you really want to carry on this discussion further, I suggest you start a thread asking the question. I'm sure it will prove to be an interesting topic.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 119 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 162 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 304 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 435 39.5%