Have Your Say: Career Mode - Must Have or a Distraction?

Is it essential? No.
Is it a good idea? Absolutely (IMO of course).

But it all depends on how it's implemented. Doing it console-style, where you have to unlock certain cars/tracks through the career is a no-no.
I'm an adult, and I unlocked all this stuff when I bought the game, thank you very much. :D
Nor can you do what e.g. AC did, and have some trainee think up a shallow progression-track, and simply tack it onto the game. Because it'll feel exactly like that, tacked on.

From what I can tell the F1 franchise has more or less done it right. Open-wheelers aren't my thing, so I never dove into it myself, but there are several serious youtubers out there with multiple season careers and considering the added time and effort recording and editing these things take, there must be something to it.
PC2 seems to have gotten the balance right as well, as have a few other recent additions.

I think career mode either needs to be very good, be unique and minimal with clear goals or it is not worth having it. Something like the assetto corsa has is totally useless for example because it is just series of events that does not fulfill the most basic idea of career mode. Not fun, not worth doing and doesn't add anything. Just exists so an item can be checked off from the todo list. It is not bad though because you can totally ignore it and it doesn't effect you at all if you do. Which is important in a racing sim so it is not all bad.

Ideally good career mode adds another dimension into the game. Personally I kinda like the early style of career modes we had in sportscar gt and viper racing. You start with some amount of money and need to buy a car. Then over time you upgrade it and work towards the higher series. In sportscar gt it was the journey from gt3 to gt1 or something like that. I mean I don't that for my racing sim but for some lighter game with tons of cars something like that could be fun.

There are some things the career mode absolutely requires or otherwise even the best career mode just becomes a pointless grind. Good ai is important. Without it the races in worst case are all just about starting last and finishing first. You also need some kind of rewards and this is kinda difficult if the game already comes with all content opened. Even if you make the career mode totally separate and its own thing it doesn't have the same appeal anymore.

Another thing is choice. If the game comes with wide variety of cars then the game needs to offer choices so that player doesn't need to drive hundreds of races in cars he doesn't like at all. But at the same time career mode should not limit your choices for online play. For something like forza it works (I think) because the game is very generous with cars and money but you don't want a racing game where people need to invest 20+ hours into the game just to open one of the cars they want to drive online.

I think even for sim racer some car and track specific special events is a good way to go. For example if you are going to release gt3 car pack then by default the game should also come with some kind of gt3 series championship you can do. Maybe just 5 race season against the ai. Then throw in some hotlap challenges, overtaking challenges and bonuses for completing it all with all cars. Then tie some events into leaderboards and you have a lot more gameplay options available. Just some relatively simple stuff that still gives some speciality while also being something you can ignore if you don't want it. Doesn't necessarily even need any prizes. Achievements would be enough for those who want them. But still each car should have its own mini career available.

Things that annoy me with career modes are simple things. Grinding is always annoying. A good competitive ai can help with that but that being said things taking longer and being harder doesn't necessarily count as improvement.

I never ever even once touch it.
I am so busy with setup sessions, preparation offline races and actual online racing that I wouldn't possibly have any time to twiddle with half-baked career modes.

To me career modes could be completely canned and programming capacity could be better used to flesh out useful game features as proper international ranking charts, lap time charts of all users, improved online session experience or missing / incomplete game features (working direction / hazard lights, improved pitstops, improved flag system, improved penalty + track cut system, … official telemetry software plugins, easy to use user livery paint functions, …).

Distraction...
On the flip side to my against post, the benefit of a career mode is that it gives you the opportunity to drive cars you dislike or don't want to drive...say, you don't like Toyota Prius but that's where a career mode comes in handy as you have to race one or take part in its one-make race which then you can really form your opinion if you like the car or not - that's where it worked in games like Gran Turismo - depending on how you think Xbox/Steam/PSN achievement badge is important to you

At one time in my life is was everything to me, I used to love a good career mode and would certainly understand and not knock anybody for enjoying it...for me AI is now far more important, a good AI will give me a gauge to go by and really does help in learning some racecraft.

My time now is taken up trying to get on race pace, (online) I have no "natural" talent so have to work hard at it, indeed as many others do .. and do spend many hours practicing and on setups...why you may ask? simply put, I love it.

So there just is not enough hours in the day anymore for a career mode.

I never ever even once touch it.
I am so busy with setup sessions, preparation offline races and actual online racing that I wouldn't possibly have any time to twiddle with half-baked career modes.

To me career modes could be completely canned and programming capacity could be better used to flesh out useful game features as proper international ranking charts, lap time charts of all users, improved online session experience or missing / incomplete game features (working direction / hazard lights, improved pitstops, improved flag system, improved penalty + track cut system, … official telemetry software plugins, easy to use user livery paint functions, …).

I could say the same about online, I have no interest in it and I feel devs waste time with it so it should be canned. but actually I don't think that, I realise many people like racing online even though I don't so how about you stop being selfish and understand many like career modes (when done right).

iRacing doesn't have one, and its a pretty good sim, great cars, half decent feel to the cars and a good variety as well. Does a sim need one, nope it doesn't have to have one. But it depends on what your looking for in a sim. I got iRacing when it first came out and raced almost every day. I had an absolute blast, with the lowly Skippy being my favorite. Actually managed a very few wins as well.
After awhile however our schedules seemed to grow in separate directions, and I wound up racing less and less.
Then I found Automobilista, and I could race anytime I wanted to. About two months later, grudgingly I stopped my iRacing subscription. So no you don't need a career mode, but a half decent AI you do need.

I could say the same about online, I have no interest in it and I feel devs waste time with it so it should be canned. but actually I don't think that, I realise many people like racing online even though I don't so how about you stop being selfish and understand many like career modes (when done right).

Exactly. How I wish that people would stop acting as advocates on their own desires, thus claiming that it be the only truth, and just say that this or that is their personal conviction - and accept that others might differ in opinion. Are others opinions not as valid?

I'll preface this by saying I've always been someone who prefers powerful, enduring experiences that make a lasting impact on me. That's why writing has always been a stronger interest for me than gaming.

I'm bored of sims these days as I feel that driving alone does nothing for me. You can't go wrong with a bit of immersion, to feel that you really have something to compete for and not just a bunch of random racers to mess around with. That's not something that the current sims can deliver right now (and honestly, neither should they if it takes away from the simple racing element that others like so much).

Problem is, CM are the only ones who have put any serious effort into this via F1 2017 (no, SMS's system is a joke, and so were those used in Dirt Rally and Dirt 4), and even then, their current system isn't as good as it could or should be. There's no sense of rivalry or competition. Even Ravenwest from their very own GRID games are significantly better for that.

I don't particularly care about licensed series - if anything, without being limited by things like licenses, you can have more freedom to do what you want. Motorsport Manager does a fantastic job of making you care for your drivers no matter if it's a real one or not. If someone else followed that model but also made you care about the other members of your team, as well as those outside your team or who aren't competing at all like the FIA, the stewards or the media, you'd have something close to perfection. It obviously helps if the AI was competent and the handling was acceptable, but to me, those are still only of secondary importance.

Driving by itself is boring and shallow for me, and mere racing is no better. Without that true sense of competition, it doesn't interest me. Leagues and online gaming are not the answer (especially not with how shallow most simracers are), and neither are these cheap attempts at eSports events that seemingly everyone is trying to make these days. Motorsport needs something akin to a long-running story to be worth something in my eyes, and given F1's enduring popularity, I imagine I'm far from alone on this one. Developing something like that in a game while still focusing on the racing element, however, is much easier said than done given the amount of effort required to do so and how much of a risk it would be to develop it in the first place.

how to ruin a racing game:

1. lock all the cars behind a tedious storymode.

2. include cutscenes featuring an oddly proportioned scotsman with skin made out of kebab meat.
And yet he, like the game he was in, is more iconic than just about anything racing itself has ever had to offer. TOCA RD 1 and 2 are exceptionally iconic, and besides his name being partially retconned between the first game and GRID, Nathan McKane is a great, if simple, example of how to write a story in motorsport, and the same goes for Rick Scott, silent as he was, between the second game and GRID. Rick Irving himself may not have been a driver, or even a complex character, but he was remarkably compelling.
The individual stories of the characters in the extended series aren't anything to write home about in terms of literary prowess, but they're there and they add something very valuable to the overall experience. The fact that you then go on to compete against McKane and Scott in GRID and later GRID Autosport is awesome, especially in the latter where their AI behaviors are different from that of any other AI. Even their descriptions in that game match the way most players drove in those games, with McKane in particular referencing how easy it was to pass everyone almost instantly and then block them all the way in 1. They're proper rivals. You know how good they are. You feel something when you race against them, and that's excellent. It's something games like this need more of, not less.

Last edited:
I think that career modes are a good thing. Some may disagree with this, but there is only one true sim right now and that's iracing, nothing comes close to it. Anything on a console and a lot of PC now isn't a sim, its simcade. The offline aspect is something that suits people who cant or don't go online, I personally do both, but rfactor for example, has the online and offline feature, I feel that rfactor 1 has nailed it, however I feel rfactor 2 is a massive step back in almost all aspects from rfactor 1, to the point that I disliked it so much I removed it from my PC, it to me just feels fake and isn't enjoyable like rfactor 1. In general though, I think the career mode, whether it be like Nascar heat 2 or F1 2017, adds another aspect to the game and brings in the player back to play again. In saying that, I really didn't like the project cars game or career feature, one of the worst games I have played is that.

Probably done more of anything and everything than you, frankly.

giphy.gif

When I was young and had 15 hours a week to play video games it was fun to have a career mode. Back then, online racing included too much lag anyway...we are talking many years ago. But really, since GTR2 and rFactor I only race against real people. For years I was on Race2Play, which I sorely miss. And now I race here, iRacing and North American GP. For me, a league is the only way to fly. Nothing like preparing for races with teammates and the rivalry. Along with meeting likke minded people (simracing geeks)

Inspired by the above post just, I got an idea; how about a racing game plot generator

It would be like this...
Down on his luck driver in a mission to rebuild his life
Abundance of hot women everywhere (a la Need For Speed)
He gets kicked out of a top team (who will become his main adversary)
He starts his career mode with a crap car
[I can't think of anything else]

Career Mode? What is it? I play Grand Prix 2 :p
However, I only completed a career of F1 2016. Good, one time!
I play always single races or championship seasons and many many many test days with AMS and AC.

Imagine a career mode in which you begin at the age of 12 driving kart and slowly progressing to be a f1 driver or nascar driver or anything else depending to your skill. Also I would like to see in career mode a proper feeling connection to the car you are driving.

That's what PC1+2 aimed to do, but didn't quite hit the mark for various reasons (I liked PC1s career a lot and not ventured into PC2s yet awaiting AI updates).

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back