Have Your Say: Can You Sim Race Competitively With a Controller?

My answer to the OP's question is NO. But then again I can't race competitively with a wheel either.

With a keyboard back in the day steering, acceleration and braking was on off - not exactly accurate. Controllers have more control these days, they used to be very much on/off but you can now control the accuracy better with analogue sticks and using trigger buttons for acceleration and braking.

Controllers will not be as smooth as a wheel, but with practice I don't see why it's not possible to race with a controller as long as the driver is gentle with their inputs. I raced online for many years in Project Gotham racing and Forza we had close battles, racing with a wheel is preferred and I won't go back!

To be honest there are some real crude statements like gamepad racers prone to crash earlier or provoke crashes. Because a gamepad is not that precise?

Sounds weird maybe, but also a gamepad has to be configured properly. Regrettably there are no files provided by jack spade for that task.:(

It is not only about assigning meaningful values for gamma, steering filter, speed sensivity etc. Also the virtual steering wheel rotation limit has a significant impact on the steering precision and steering immersion. In AC you can adjust that parameter under options/video/view. Per default, AC takes the turning angle from the calibration - that is for non xbox controllers or presets something around 180 degree. That is a way to small, I set a value equal or greater than 360 degree and that makes a great difference.

Cheers

I think we should dissect "controller" a bit more.

The first bit is whether you can steer with a joystick. I think the key here is to have a consistent, non-linear curve mapping joystick movements to steering input, aka very fine around the center but still able to reach the maximum required rotation. Another issue is control of the deadzone. You can't have a real deadzone with a racing game. If your joystick hardware requires a deadzone because it sends random data around center then, no, you cannot competitively race with it.

Gas and brake come down to a couple of factors. Deadzone again, it needs to be just right. You cannot brake and use gas at the same time. Which I don't do anyway.

Then there is the x-versus-y movement. You need to be able to mechanically move the joystick evenly over the entire x-y plane. That is not the case with many spring-controlled joysticks that have resistance increase on a simple basis of geometric distance from center position. That means if you open up gas then it will pull the steering plane to the center. I suppose this is a matter of muscle memory. It could even be put to good use. The joystick also needs to not lose data precision, e.g. if you didn't mechanically change the y (steering) position as you add x (gas) the y data shouldn't change. This can be an issue.

Obviously there isn't a real clutch unless you do something about it.

Myself I miss the joystick sometimes. I started AC with a joystick and it didn't work right. I bought a wheel. Didn't work either until I had it correctly configured and had muscle memory. I think I could do reasonably well with a well-configure joystick and practice, at least for straightforward cars like modern GT3.

The thing about the joystick is travel. I spend significant time away from home. I can bring a joystick. I can't bring a wheel and pedals. Now that I have the Rift it would be entirely possible to have a hotel room setup around a small screen (or the hotel TV), the Rift and a joystick.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 313 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 214 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 211 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 272 13.4%