Have Your Say: Can You Sim Race Competitively With a Controller?

Just a few days ago I used to use a controller. In fact, I've been doing so for the past year or so. It's definitely possible. The issue is that you'll never be precise enough with it. Trying to go incredibly fast and incredibly smooth through a corner takes guts with a controller. The limit before you lose grip is much lower than if you had a wheel. I just got my wheel a few days ago and, after dialing back the FFB settings, already I can see an improvement. I'm probably still not as fast as I was with a controller, but I once I get used to it (and once I get a gear shifter for all the cars that require it), it'll be very easy to outperform a controller. The general rule of thumb is that even the fastest controller times is about on par with a sketchy or average (not particularly quick) wheel time. So to answer the original question, you probably won't be competitive with it, but it is possible to play the game with it. But it takes a lot of practice to get it down. Some games, like Automobilista or Assetto Corsa are actually pretty decent with a controller while games like rFactor 2 are not.

I tend to agree with your overall comments, however, I find rFactor 2 is one of, if not, the best to drive with my Xbox 1 controller.

I would say it is possible to do so for the Millennial Generation but the only sim I have used a pad in with any success is MotoGP, and even then it feels twitchy compared to RL.
;)

Last edited:
Personally? I can't drive for beans with a controller...but I sure as heck know people who can absolutely fly with a controller. So...yeah, I think it can be done!

I have to think just about any racing game with any amount of realism is probably a lot more fun with wheel and pedals, but I also certainly appreciate there are those out there with disabilities, budget/space constraints, etc so I'm not about to knock someone for driving with a controller if that's what allows you to have a good time on track. :thumbsup:

yes you can but why?
You can buy a normal controller for 50$ or a (second hand) dfgt for 50$. If you are only going to be simracing you would probably pick the dfgt. If you already have a controller you can be competitive. I don't think it's easy tho. I have raced with a controller but I always wanted more precision that I couldn't find a normal controller. I then switched to a dfgt. You don't need something better to be able to be competitive(pedals could be upgraded).
My main sim/game is rFactor2 and I don't think this would be a great experience on a controller. Has someone tried this out?

Many of us raced on gamepads long time before steering wheels came along so yes absolutely it is more than possible. After many years of gamepad racing I'm still as fast on the pad as I am on the wheel today, the muscle memory is still there.

The is the pad or wheel faster debate still continues today too. I've encountered quite a few people who've found the switch to the wheel challenging and it took them a long time to regain their speed.

I prefer using the wheel over the pad but that is a different question. The wheel in VR is the most immersive experience but these are expensive toys and they definitely aren't required to enjoy racing games.

It's not fair to compare gamepad to wheel because every gamepad input is filtered. You absolutely cannot drive a car with raw gamepad input, or one mm movement on the analog stick will translate into 100 degrees of steering rotation.

Hence how good you are on a gamepad is down to mostly how good the gamepad input algorithum is, rather than the driver.

Well I can't race using a gamepad. A few of us started PC gaming before gamepads came along. Heck I had PC steering wheel many years before the first consoles came out. So I can honestly say I really didn't get to use a gamepad for car racing games at all. My two sons did though as they were born to the console gaming world. Hence my eldest is very good with a gamepad and can match my lap times in the F1 games. But I always bring him back down to Earth by informing him that the developers have made it easier for game pad users. That shuts him up.;):whistling::D

I run my sims (AC and GPBikes) with a gamepad (Thrustmaster DualAnalog4) since I started with simracing games in 2003. Due to old habits I never switched to a wheel I guess.

But for me it is clear, that the gamepad has a major disadvantage in comparison to a wheel or complete rig. Since throttle and brake are assigned to one stick (in my config), the transition between brake and throttle simply takes time. Furthermore I can not brake and stay slightly on the throttle in the same time or give a gentle blip of the throttle.

Analyzing my own laptimes and MP race performance I only loose time in rather slow corners and hairpins. Maybe I will change the assignment of the functions to the sticks - who knows?

Hey, guys, are you serious? On the gamepad, you can not compete with the rudders? can not ride a race for endurance? Pfff ... Yesterday I was able to drive 6 hours at 12 o'clock Sebringa (rf2) on my gamepad from x360. At the same time, the time on the circle was comparable with the leaders, but more often even better!

But the wheel is still better - it is less tire wear. :)

Last edited:
We dont care about gamepad users. Game is only for wheel users.
Yeah, because there's no such thing as poor / disabled people who play sim racing games, right?

This is what I hate about some wheel users. The f*****g sense of superiority and elitism they have. Not everyone has the same opportunities and possibilites. You should be thankful of what you've got instead of attacking those who play differently.

I have not had a wheel since my G25, sold it around 2010. Anybody who has raced with me either in AC or pCars1/2, F1 series from 2010 to current has seen me driving with a gamepad. I am definitely not first, but usually not last either. People are frequently shocked to hear I am outpacing them with a controller. I put it down to thousands of hours on Gran Turismo and muscle memory. If I had a wheel again I feel certain I could knock at least 2 seconds off any lap record I hold. The main problem for me is not being able to trail brake, and overcorrecting when next to somebody in the middle of a corner, otherwise I don't even really think about it. By the time I have enough money to build another simrig, my reflexes will be slower, but having the wheel will keep me in the mix.

Given the fact that I've driven ages with keyboard (and even fielded in RDGTC), I think with the right training yes it would be possible.
However, smooth driving becomes hell, and therefore endurances will become hell as well, burning those tyres away. You'll be disadvantaged during races.

Yeah, sorry. My general hope is that on most of these sims the controller isn't competitive so folks step up and use a wheel. Most of the sims i've played that are good with controllers are rubbish with wheels, so i don't have much love for the controller crowd.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 219 14.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 150 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 115 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 216 14.4%