Have Your Say: Can You Sim Race Competitively With a Controller?

Just a few days ago I used to use a controller. In fact, I've been doing so for the past year or so. It's definitely possible. The issue is that you'll never be precise enough with it. Trying to go incredibly fast and incredibly smooth through a corner takes guts with a controller. The limit before you lose grip is much lower than if you had a wheel. I just got my wheel a few days ago and, after dialing back the FFB settings, already I can see an improvement. I'm probably still not as fast as I was with a controller, but I once I get used to it (and once I get a gear shifter for all the cars that require it), it'll be very easy to outperform a controller. The general rule of thumb is that even the fastest controller times is about on par with a sketchy or average (not particularly quick) wheel time. So to answer the original question, you probably won't be competitive with it, but it is possible to play the game with it. But it takes a lot of practice to get it down. Some games, like Automobilista or Assetto Corsa are actually pretty decent with a controller while games like rFactor 2 are not.

well, wrc6 might not be a sim, but the chap who won the esports competition on it last year used a controller, looks weird in the official videos as he walks to the professional setup provided by the esports chaps (seat, screen, wheelstand) and plugs in his little handheld. But he won.

Using a wheel should be mandatory with racing esports. Everyone should be on an even plain. Eithwe everyone uses a controller or everyone uses a wheel.

Possible to hotlap moderately well? Yes, depending on the car.
Possible to drive predictably in a pack of cars with respect to other drivers? No.
Possible to comfortably complete long endurance races? No.
It's pretty darn impossible to drive with other racers with a controller. You already lack the precision of a wheel. Unless it's a bunch of slower cars, it's going to be very hard to stay competitive.

Using a wheel should be mandatory with racing esports. Everyone should be on an even plain. Eithwe everyone uses a controller or everyone uses a wheel.
In a game like WRC6, a controller wouldn't even need a handicap because it IS the handicap. Have you tried DiRT Rally with a controller? It's probably the hardest game ever with that.

Yes you can! Here is my example, driving on a Logitech Rumblepad 2 since my G25 broke. All the races on SRS were done with a gamepad. Tried to repair the wheel but it didnt really work well anymore, and as I am moving too often to other countries, I didnt want to buy a new wheel and carry it everywhere with me. Most wins in the league, 3rd place in the rating.

The thing is, that most of the people dont know how to drive with a gamepad, you have to move the pads softly, what most people just cant control. I gotta long experience with a gamepad and I can be competetive and drive safe with people around

There you go, screenshots attached
You have to move the analog stick upward and keep it centered, and then move it around the outside as if it were a wheel. You can't play it like Forza.

it depends on the game, something like Rallye is imo easier on gamepad, something like NASCAR on the other hand is harder

being competitive is about person and it doesn't matter what and how he uses, it's not the HW that makes him fast/competitive

To anyone who says rally is easier with a controller: ever tried to keep the speed up while getting half side stucked in a snowbank at Sweden in Dirt Rally? :roflmao:
I did. Wheel for me please.. Or maybe the good old logitech Joystick I played sports car gt with at 7 years old :cool:

@Ole Marius Myrvold

Yes, You can be highly competitive with nearly any controller. At the end of the day Its all based on your personal skill with the controller that you use.

Some games I enjoy as much on keyboard as a wheel, but they're mostly arcade racers like Sega Rally or NFS Underground.

Years ago I completed NFS3 Hot Pursuit on a Microsoft force feedback joystick; when I upgraded to wheel it wasn't as easy!

But sims, yeah, you need a wheel really. Not sure I'm as comfortable with my G27 as my old MOMO Force red wheel. Certainly clutch is hard with no real biting point feel.

Back in my Forza days I was able to compete and post top 100 times using a controller, since moving to wheel several yrs ago the only games I can play now with a controller are Forza Horizon and FPS

Can I sim competitively with a game pad?

Hell no.

Can I sim competitively with a wheel?

Hell no.

Also, even Wreckfest is a trillion times better with a wheel...

I used an anologue stick controller for a few years back in the GTL / GTR2 days. I could hold my own against other people, usually top 10. However I made the leap to a wheel and never looked back.

Sure you can be competitive/fast but whats the point? Racing a SIM(ulator) game to immerse yourself as much as possible to be close to reality and then use a totally "unimmersive" input device? I do not see the point.
Especially because wheels are not that expensive anymore (entry level)
Someone using a Bodnar wheel plus full hydraulic pedals will tell the person with the entry level Fanatec / Thrustmaster wheel plus pedals that they miss immersion...
"Whats the point"??? Ehm...playing a game??

To anyone who says rally is easier with a controller: ever tried to keep the speed up while getting half side stucked in a snowbank at Sweden in Dirt Rally? :roflmao:
I did. Wheel for me please.. Or maybe the good old logitech Joystick I played sports car gt with at 7 years old :cool:

@Ole Marius Myrvold

Oooh, that's what I used for Sports Car GT as well! I installed it on an old laptop last year and started to play it again, this time with a keyboard. I'm actually better now than I was back then. I guess it's down to a better knowledge of basically everything now !

Also, snowbanks in Sweden in DR is awesome fun! :D

A little while back, me kids broke my wheel, went on hunt with controller in hand, tried all, only one that came close was raceroom, in fact I could even match my wheel times, very impressed as was just messing around and did not expect to actually enjoy it.

Yes. Depending on title and settings.

Personally I'm not competitive with a wheel and pedals.
Same here.
I played more than 600 hours on Assetto with an xbox one pad and I enjoy it.

I bought a Thrustmaster T300 and after 80 hours with it, my felling is bad and I'm faster when i'm using xbox pad.

I hope I will revert this quickly.

We have seen tons of super fast aliens over the years here on RaceDepartment driving with controllers and some even with a swingman camera position.

Not very immersive in my opinion but seems very effective for those used to it.

You probably can, just at the complete disregard for the others around you on the track. I've seen guys be quick with gamepads, but most of them are a jerky mess. It's kind of hard to drive smoothly like you can with a wheel, when on a gamepad it's so easy to go to full lock with the flick of a stick.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back