Have Your Say: Are Graphics Important?

I think they're important, for sure, but not a show stopper for me if they aren't top notch. The same goes with sound for instance. Something that we all want (at least most of us) is inmersion, you need good physics, realistic FFB, but also graphics and sound. I think that a good simulator has to be well balanced among those factors, otherwise, you either don't feel "connected" to the car if physics and FFB aren't good, or kind of bored if visuals and sound don't attract you (obviously this is a matter of personal taste... but this is what happens to me).

I sometimes find rF2 more visually appealing than assetto corsa just for the night-day transitions and other details like realroad. I can spend hours doing hotlapping in both AC and rF2 but the fact that light is actually changing in the latter just adds that tad of realism that makes me come back to the game, what I mean is that realism doesn't always rely on highly detailed graphics.

I love the graphics in RF2 and I still use the DX9 version at the moment.
9kQLZYl.jpg
One thing I really appreciate is a very crisp interior with well-defined shadows and realistic lighting. The improvements in lighting so far are great, with the dynamic sunlight and sun glare, but the shadows, textures and colouring still aren't there yet and will probably never satisfy me.

I rate Paul Jeffrey as one of the best reporter on race department, just a question, did ISI and Studio 397, ask you to write this have your say?, if so tell them Yes Graphics are important, now get cracking in updating their dated graphics engine, rFactor 2 still looks dated and in most cases flat, and right now Race room racing experience is the only good looking Gmotor engine based title, it maybe called lizard, but it is still using elements of Gmotor.

To me graphics, sound, physics, ffb, are all very important. Anything that makes the experience seem more realistic is what I am looking for in a sim.

Are graphics important? Well, that is relative. When I was young and played in a chess club and played correspondence chess as well, me and one or two others occasionally had fun by playing blind chess, without boards and pieces.I could even manage to play that way simultaneously on three boards.

:) Everything is relative. Even graphics.

With age comes loss of memory, I do not play blind chess anymore. With age also comes bad eye sight. What use are improved graphics then? :D One day I will sit still and just imagine to drive a race , I suppose. LOL

How the driving feels, so physic and FFB is what makes me drive more often on one title over an other. No title out there have graphics totally over the other, more a question of taste than tangible better life simulation. My favorite title does not have as the graphic I like better of all the SIM's or games out there, I wish it was the case, but it does not really alter my pleasure in driving in my favorite SIM.

If we're talking about people who love a good "simulation" of course physics are the most important factor, if we're talking about people that prefer "games" just to have some fun and do impossible things with a gamepad then graphics might be the most important...

I bet Pcars2 will be a magnificent game easy to play. It is not intended to simgamers, the purpose being to sell the largest number of customers. Bandai would have no interest to do a pure simulation. This is not a criticism, It takes all tastes.

Last edited:
I would like to say YES, but on the other hand i only race in VR and that on itself already means a big sacrifice in graphic quality.

I have had some serious WOW moments in the PCARS2 beta and i'm certain that good graphics do have a lot of impact on the immersion when racing in VR.

Most of the time though i race in RaceRoom Racing Experience because i like the FFB, Physics, Race rules and AI. Graphically R3E is not the best looking sim, but ATM is the sim i race the most.

So grapics are import, but not the most important.

Graphics matter a lot, but it is not my #1 concern. I first look at the cars and the tracks available in the game. That's why I love RRE, even if the graphics are not the best around. I am also looking forward to PC2, because it will offer a great selection of tracks and cars.

For me it is very important but sound, ffb, physics and content is important too. The ultimate goal for me is max immersion and max realisim. Because of that i have a motion rig and i will get vr when the graphic is better. Maybe with the new pimax 8k. If the graphic is too bad it reminds you constantly that it is just a game and it kills immersion for me. In 2017/18 i expect at least AC graphics.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 319 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 219 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 214 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 161 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 279 13.5%