Have Your Say: Acceptable Risk or Dangerous Liability? The Isle of Man TT

How did you know what I voted?
True.
Now we have second for "yes". Wow I wonder who's the other member brave enough to be called a wimp here, on a brave racedepartment battlefield. Yes, virtual but still...

Andy: It's ok, I really have no desire to drag this for a week with you, I'm just so relieved that you "understand".;) Wish you can transfer that understanding to the families they left behind.
Tell them also that "the racing on safe areas are just not enough thrilling for me. Sorry". :unsure:

True.
Now we have second for "yes". Wow I wonder who's the other member brave enough to be called a wimp here, on a brave racedepartment battlefield. Yes, virtual but still...

Andy: It's ok, I really have no desire to drag this for a week with you, I'm just so relieved that you "understand".;) Wish you can transfer that understanding to the families they left behind.
Tell them also that "the racing on safe areas are just not enough thrilling for me. Sorry". :unsure:
Just for the record I didn't vote...
75cf0bc222c916b68374a8e026945bc1.png

You shouldn't jump to conclusions too quick :)

They know and accept the risks involved; so do the spectators who sit in some pretty unsafe areas. It's part of the culture in that part of the world; the dead riders are remembered as heroes.
I will say that there is a certain element of selfishness on the part of the riders, at least when it comes to their families. A lot of the riders who die leave a wife and children behind. This element of selfishness is not exclusive to the Isle of Man; it's prevalent in all forms of motorsport.

Lets be honest, its the last great challenge a racing driver can have, no protection, one mistake and you could be dead.

Isnt that whats racing is about, who is the best, fastest, top dog...

So long as drivers/riders know what they are getting into, then thats the risk..

Isle of Man TT is secred, the last test for man... To ride at mind blowing speeds with others, true racing...

Let it be that way... its there bike, there body, do as they wish...

• tunaphis

@Paul Jeffrey
I am disappointed with you and this topic. You must be bored. :rolleyes:

To be honest I am fed up with certain motorcycle forums, newspapers and some TV commentators asking the same question. We get it every year.
More people die on Mt Everest every year, would the do gooders and PC brigade want to ban mountain climbing too?
They all know the risks, as do the spectators. They wouldn't do it if there was no risk.
3 racers died this year. They died doing something they wanted to do. They didn't die of cancer, old age, liver disease or heart attack. They died knowing the risk and doing something they loved. Non racers and non road racing bikers could never understand.
There will always be the silly do-gooders in society who are against it. They are the ones who don't really understand these things. Normally the type of people who don't accept any risks in life, have never risked anything in life and probably have only looked after themselves. They should mind their own business and carry on mowing the lawn or doing the dishes.
Beat me too it.This is a sim site dedicated to gaming I thought though it appears to be the personal opinions of someone who has never raced and never will.

Having attended the IOM for several years I can only be amazed that the death rate is as low as it is.
I feel very wary just riding the circuit when the open to the public day(s) roll around.
No rider is forced to compete, and despite the number of deaths this year (and the lousy weather!) the TT will go on.
Guy Martin summed things up when he withdrew from the Senior, pointing out that he would not ride because of the lack of track time (due to weather) made him personally uncomfortable.
It takes a very big set to come out in public with that statement, and one thing Guy doesn't lack is bravery!
The 'PC' brigade have emasculated Motorsport across the board, in this case they must keep the TT as it is.

Last time I looked, entry and participation in any real racing events such as the IOM TT or North West 200 is 100% up to the rider and his/her team.

The three deaths are indeed tragic for the rider and their families however this pales into a fracton of a fracton when viewed from how many people are killed driving & riding on public roads each and every day across the globe. Anyone calling for a ban on cars and bikes because of this? I bet more people die from choking on peas than die in road racing.

No vote from me - keep the P.C. lobbyists and nanny state aficionado away from one of the last remaining road racing series.

It's weird when there is handfull of men who got gut's to do it, go there flatout and feel the adrenaline, moment when you are truly live... And then there's the people who want to end it, for what? For the watching audience so they cant anymore get the moment's that holy s... Insane! But so damn cool! And for the driver's? better for then like just be in corner of the bar sitting miserable, Instead of living how they want? And so some can say to them that they are only beer-drinking piece of .... Why the hell everything need's this saving?! Earth is over populated and all and everything with action is or is just going to be ruined with this safety carbage all over the place. Is it more important to live dull life with mainpoint to get over 100-year's old? Because when you're gone, you're gone, you dont get nothing with you when you are burried. Other choise is to live your short given life with doing something you love, fast or slow, end come's when it come's. But they want to ban event where bunch of men are having moment's of THEIR live's, making history. I guess some people's passion is to ruin some else's life's. You love doing that? Yes! Ok. Let's ban it, it's dangerous and all. -But? SHUT UP! Go gutting a grass or something, more safe. Then cutting grass while life is going in front of eyes like boom, then on last day doing dying thinking, i could have my name on IOM TT Lap record holder... maybe win or two... maybe most win's! Or smth like that... could have got my name on something. But at least i was the best for... Cutting the grass...Oo... I think! ...-Piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiipppppppp........ ( For the wise guy's. Just referring for the grass cutting )

TT Should be banned!
How is that possible a bunch of crazy guys riding bikes at 200mph and no live stream, i repeat, no official live stream on the internet so ppl around the world can't watch it! This is just insane!
:cry::cry::cry:

I think it's gotten far to stupid. The complete lack of respect of life is not right. Whether it's your own or even other people's it's a disgrace. I think it glamorizes guys doing totally insane speeds that wind up dying. I wouldn't do 180 through my town for risk of getting killed, why would I do it in this race? For the money? Fame? There comes a point when it's just egregious. Life should not be taken this lightly. The TT was fine when the speeds were much more manageable. But now with superbikes with 200BHP is far beyond what was ever intended to be raced at the Isle. It would be no different than watching Nascar or Indycar or F1 and guys dying every weekend weaving through city streets. It would be unacceptable. But somehow at the TT it's ok. This is just plain wrong.

In todays day and age, is the death rate at Isle of Man now unacceptable and should the event be banned, or should human beings be able to open themselves up to the risk of racing on this circuit knowing the dangers involved?

Be able? Humans will take risks and cheat death because it's human nature. It's a God given right to choose your risks (liberty) and allow others to contract to do it, within the bounds of commonly understood and reasonable safety. The nanny state can keep it's overreach well away, lest they be replaced by the market or the people.

If we would have banned skiing and bicycling in time, we'd still have Michael unscathed and Hayden alive, so why don't we ban those right now? Let's just ban everything else potentially dangerous including junk food and cell phones, why don't we?

Road racing is not street "racing". Maybe there should be regulations issued against the spectators dwelling in dangerous spots, but over than that, there is no point in doing anything to road racing (be it IoM, Ulster, NW200, you name it). Just leave it be.

After all, the riders might start seeking other ways of getting their adrenaline fix after the ban. And they might end up not as proficient in those other ways...

Its absolute crazy. But if the drivers accept the risk its totally fine for me, the drivers deserve massive respect.

This is racing! Big balls

In our modern days of people avoiding to take responsibility for their very own actions, I believe this is up to all people involved in this events : riders, teams, organisations, spectators and the very few media dare to cover it :p to decide how they want to live their very own life, whatever they have family or not.

Life is only spiced knowing it will end one day, we all gonna die, and even the most advanced safety mechanisms are not 100% safe as many deaths occurred after 2010 on safer racetracks shows.

Unless there is no rider/driver on bike and in car (the dream of someone called Franck W. :p), there will be always death because sh... just happened and will continue to happen, looks at last world level bike racing fatal injuries (Jones, Tomizawa, Simoncelli and Antonelli), Davies was crazy lucky at Misano Race1 last weekend because it was the same kind of crash, just a tiny bit different.

To end, there is also the twisted view on numbers, does it better to be dead or severely injured for the end of life like Zanazdi and so many others we don't talk about because they're forced to retire ?
Less riders/drivers have died with increasing safeties in motorsports, but how many have been crippled instead ?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back