Have you had a failure on your TX [poll]

Do T500rs's have major failure rates? I was just about to order either the T300GTE or the T500RS but having second thoughts now.

Upvote 0
Do T500rs's have major failure rates? I was just about to order either the T300GTE or the T500RS but having second thoughts now.

T500RS has been pretty reliable. The worst problem it had was the early models that has torsion springs on the pedals that would break after a year or two but Thrustmaster changed those to compression springs and that problem is gone. The earlier models also had a loud fan but the most recent models seem to be very quiet. My brother has a newer model in the blue GT6 box and you can hardly even hear his fan running unless your head is next to the wheel. I have a very late model white GT5 box model and my fan is pretty loud.

Upvote 0
In the tx cp do you have everything 100% @Bikout

Everything except the overall strength which is at 85%. Honestly, most games never use any settings in the TM CP except overall strength, constant and periodic. The spring and damper settings don't seem to affect any racing game I've seen except Test Drive Ferrari Racing Legends and Project CARS which seem to rely heavily on the spring setting so it has to stay very low, 0-10%.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
just read these reviews on amazon, even they are being sent out with wrong plugs.

Arrived with a European two pin power lead, once I'd changed this for three pin plug by cutting it off and changing it, the wheel has performed perfectly since. A very good option for PC owners and the ONLY option for xbox one owners. Strong feedback and vibration and lots of buttons to map for controls. I would also suggest the T3PA three pedal set as this is a major upgrade over the out of the box two pedal arrangement. All in all though a good entry / mid level racing wheel.

3.0 out of 5 stars One Little Issue, 31 Dec 2014
By
Alison King - See all my reviews

Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: Thrustmaster Tx Ferrari 458 Italia Racing Wheel Ed (Accessory)
When I first got mine it came with a European plug Socket, I thought it was fine and just used a adapter but I think it somehow lowered the vibration and feel for the car and often when I complete a race on Forza Mptorsport 5 it will just cut out on my so I have to re calibrate it. I know it's a small issue but I shouldnt expect something like this from a very good company and the price I'm paying, anyone let me know if it does affect the the vibration let me know and If there is anything I can do. Thanks
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Yes No
Report abuse | Permalink
Comment Comment

liam - See all my reviews

This review is from: Thrustmaster Tx Ferrari 458 Italia Racing Wheel Ed (Accessory)
I found it a lil annoying that i had to go out to buy a adapter to fit a uk socket and with the 220v-240v you need to buy one for a shaver the most are only 140v but now its all sorted it is a great wheel and the force feed back is left at 100 its very strong but i am happy with the product

THIS REVIEW EVEN STATES THE ISSUES IM HAVING, hmm im concerned about buying another now.. the amazon reviews too many people have failures. what a shame.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-rev...iewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Okay so I will have to update this review which at the moment is based on what the product looks like following unboxing only as it has shipped with a non-UK power adapter!

Steering wheel and pedals looks far better than i had expected, previous reviews online indicate that these look cheap but my first impression is they look good enough to me for gaming purposes.

So here is the main problem....i cannot power up the unit and give a test review as it has shipped with a euro (2 pin) power plug, totally useless here without an adapter to convert back to UK 3 pin. So a £12 cost saving on this unit compared to the identical item in Amazon has now resulted in a trip to an electrical store to buy a £7 adapter! Once i have the adapter and can hopefully power up the unit i will write another review.

UPDATE 4th Apr 2014...powered up and had about an hour and a half last night with the wheel, it was great. Sadly, on trying to use it this morning it fails to power up or power light comes on with a flicker then off, it wont connect to xbox one or my pc but then with no power so what!
Very very unhappy that a unit costing so much has failed after an hour, i am in stunned disbelief!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why are you telling us this? how about posting all the good reviews at the same time. For goodness sake man just send the bloody thing back and get your fanatec because that's what you want anyway! In fact, I don't even think you know what you want anymore.

Upvote 0
your right i dont know what to get now... but all this is very disapointing, but suppose tm have always made cheaply made accessories,

and considering this is a thread about failures, and these guys are having the same problems make this quite relevant, doesnt it.

p.s its being sent back today!

Upvote 0
so really, if i want a belt driven wheel under 300£ thats got very good ffb ( i know the TX has) i have not much choice than the TX?

just been readin their fb page, and noticed a few people having my problem too, from a perfect working wheel to after the update,..

Yuval IzchakiI have had the tx steering wheel for many months. Since I have downloaded the update, there have been many bugs. My steering wheel calibrates but doesn't stay on. In the game, my steering sometimes doesn't work and the pedals didn't either. The computer wouldn't recognize the wheel most of the time. The force feedback is now much less powerful than before. Please fix this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You have to take a lot of reviews with a grain of salt. I've come to the conclusion over the last year a lot of people new to sim racing simply don't know how to properly setup a wheel on the hardware side or software and rather than try to learn how from trial and error or from racing forums, they just send the wheel back to the retailer or complain online that the wheel is broken when it may not actually be. I can't tell you how many USB issues I've seen where someone complained the wheel was broken when it turned out to be nothing more than a USB connection issue.

Upvote 0
i take it when u mean usb connection issue, you mean a fault in the product usb cable. As cpu usb i tested with my old wheel and it was fine, actually all my usbs are fine with all my other devices.

Upvote 0
i take it when u mean usb connection issue, you mean a fault in the product usb cable. As cpu usb i tested with my old wheel and it was fine, actually all my usbs are fine with all my other devices.
No, I mean usually a problem with the PC's USB ports, some people have trouble with certain USB ports, some have trouble using USB 3 ports, some people have trouble using USB hubs, etc...just one of many problems that I seem to see a lot of on various forums. Most people end up getting it worked out and usually ends up being the PC's USB port that's the problem, not the wheel itself. There's a lot more hardware variability with everyones PC's than there is with the actual wheel itself. With the TX, the break-away cable has given some people problems. I've even seen some people that didn't plug the power cable far enough into the back of the wheel. Seemingly stupid stuff that people overlook and then get on the internet claiming a product is **** when its their own fault.

My CSW v2 wouldn't work correctly on my USB 3 ports but I know others that say their CSW v2 works fine on USB 3, yet all of my Thrustmaster wheels work fine on my USB 3 ports. This is exactly what I mean when I talk about PC hardware variability that can cause issues.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
on one hand i agree, yes PC variability doesnt help, but also, TMs repuitation with this TX is quite poor, there lots of people on the internet with troubles with this wheel, theres just to many complaints with similar problems to be NOT a product problem..

I will give it one more go with a confirmed correct power cable. But for some reason im still going to worry that this wheel will break on me any minute. Due to TMs reliability issues all over the web.

But sadly i also know of people, who just because there product works think that all products in that line should work and its everyone elses fault. Just because they were lucky not to experience it,

Just the way of consumers im afraid, and wont change.

Upvote 0
on one hand i agree, yes PC variability doesnt help, but also, TMs repuitation with this TX is quite poor, there lots of people on the internet with troubles with this wheel, theres just to many complaints with similar problems to be NOT a product problem..

I will give it one more go with a confirmed correct power cable. But for some reason im still going to worry that this wheel will break on me any minute. Due to TMs reliability issues all over the web.

But sadly i also know of people, who just because there product works think that all products in that line should work and its everyone elses fault. Just because they were lucky not to experience it,

Just the way of consumers im afraid, and wont change.

And that's your opinion. How do you define quite poor? How many wheels were sold and how many were returned due to failure or defect? Without that data, its hard to say for sure what is actually "quite poor". If the data shows its less than 2% returned, is that quite poor? Or is it 5% or 20%, etc? I don't deny that maybe some of the earlier TX's had issues, but I rarely see posts on the forums in recent months about TX failures like there were when it was released so is appears that something got better. But just because those negative reviews stay on the internet forever in cyberspace, is that indicative of a product's current state? If you look at the T300RS at Amazon, it has outstanding reviews yet the wheel is the same as the TX with a different rim on it. So could it be possible that later versions of the TX and now the newer T300RS are more reliable? It stands to reason that could be the case. I would also add that a lot of TX complaints are from users that had trouble using it with the Xbox One and I will confirm that the Xbox One is really flaky. From my experience if you don't power on the Xbox One first, then connect the wheel afterwards, you will get very unpredictable results, sometimes the wheel won't work at all, sometimes it may calibrate and you start a game and lose the FFB. The only sure fire way to make sure it works properly on Xbox One is to connect the wheel after the Xbox One has been powered on. I think a lot of people never took the time to realize this and maybe TM should have provided documentation explaining this but many reports of odd behavior or the wheel not working is tied to the Xbox One. The T300RS doesn't have this issue with the PS3 or PS4 that I'm aware of so it has that in its favor from a review standpoint.

Do you know how old the TX was that you purchased? Is it at least possible it could have been sitting on a shelf in a warehouse from months ago when the TX was original released and maybe you had one of the earlier models that had issues?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And that's your opinion. How do you define quite poor? How many wheels were sold and how many were returned due to failure or defect? Without that data, its hard to say for sure what is actually "quite poor". If the data shows its less than 2% returned, is that quite poor? Or is it 5% or 20%, etc? I don't deny that maybe some of the earlier TX's had issues, but I rarely see posts on the forums in recent months about TX failures like there were when it was released so is appears that something got better. But just because those negative reviews stay on the internet forever in cyberspace, is that indicative of a product's current state? If you look at the T300RS at Amazon, it has outstanding reviews yet the wheel is the same as the TX with a different rim on it. So could it be possible that later versions of the TX and now the newer T300RS are more reliable? It stands to reason that could be the case. I would also add that a lot of TX complaints are from users that had trouble using it with the Xbox One and I will confirm that the Xbox One is really flaky. From my experience if you don't power on the Xbox One first, then connect the wheel afterwards, you will get very unpredictable results, sometimes the wheel won't work at all, sometimes it may calibrate and you start a game and lose the FFB. The only sure fire way to make sure it works properly on Xbox One is to connect the wheel after the Xbox One has been powered on. I think a lot of people never took the time to realize this and maybe TM should have provided documentation explaining this but many reports of odd behavior or the wheel not working is tied to the Xbox One. The T300RS doesn't have this issue with the PS3 or PS4 that I'm aware of so it has that in its favor from a review standpoint.

Do you know how old the TX was that you purchased? Is it at least possible it could have been sitting on a shelf in a warehouse from months ago when the TX was original released and maybe you had one of the earlier models that had issues?

i really hope i had an old one because i can see myself absolutely enjoying myself with the TX, i had a pure 15mins of experiencing its brilliance. Ive confirmed with my new supplier (dabs) that i will be getting a wheel with a uk plug, so thats a start. I really hope this ones a good un, as i agree its probably the best wheel in its high-mid range price. Not sure i can go back to a logitech or geared wheel. Unfortunately i just have to wait for my refund to go back in, so i have the funds.

fingers xd mate ay :)

Upvote 0
i really hope i had an old one because i can see myself absolutely enjoying myself with the TX, i had a pure 15mins of experiencing its brilliance. Ive confirmed with my new supplier (dabs) that i will be getting a wheel with a uk plug, so thats a start. I really hope this ones a good un, as i agree its probably the best wheel in its high-mid range price. Not sure i can go back to a logitech or geared wheel. Unfortunately i just have to wait for my refund to go back in, so i have the funds.

fingers xd mate ay :)

Good luck, hope it works better for you this time. It really is a good wheel, if you can live with the pedals until you get something better.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 130 13.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 103 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 94 9.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 67 6.8%
  • < 5 years