Have a problem...

I don't quite understand how and why but whenever I play GTR2 and then stop racing it and race something else or do something it seems to be like clockwork my PC will freeze needing a hard shutdown. I have 2 rigs with one being my main dude one and the other being chucked together with old bits and bobs and for sure it is do with GTR2 as I've tested it. If I race Assetto on either PC and never load GTR2 it never crashes again - if I load GTR2 the games exits properly etc... and inevitably it will crash later on when doing something else with my PC even after proper overnight shutdown - I'll boot up and within 20 mins of doing something PC will freeze.

I don't get a mini crash file as it happens out of game so is there something else going on which is a known problem (hopefully with a fix) where GTR2 doesn't release something properly!? Like what I have no idea.

The only thing I change on GTR2 that is not part of the game is the wheel rotation to either 540 or 360 on my Thrustmaster TS PC, using the Direct 9 shader in GTR2 config' and not using any windows compatibility mode, also use Nvidia inspector, and vsync for screen.

I get that someone reading this will think it's your PC overheating or some other problem but I've checked the temps and they are fine, and once the crash has happened I can race Assetto for example or do any other PC stuff for hours on end no problem - all week if I want but after using GTR2 even after a shutdown and restart PC freezes.

Last edited:
The only thing I can think of is that GTR2.exe still running when you close it. Check the task manager? I was getting that with official DXVK (fixed in my fork for GTR2), but you do not use DXVK it seems.

Also, did you enable stationary FFB in CC Plugin settings? Maybe it causes some issues with Thurstmaster, just guessing.

I agree, check Task Manager after exiting GTR2; look in processes rather than programs, kill the process if it is still running. Don't know why this occurs with some programs on some systems (was a known issue with Firefox for a couple of years).

Okay, haven't fully checked task manager out guys - just assumed that a hard shutdown would close it, but for sure I'll have a look at it as when it comes to computers you never know

Okie dokie - right, a bit of googling and so far admin command prompt and type in "netsh winsock reset" press enter, then reboot PC, and voila seems to have FIXED IT for me, so far.... *fingers crossed*.

Why it froze I have no idea but I'm going to say that I've downloaded a shed full of car mods that have the adfly adverts in them and sometimes I have to press one thing to proceed and usually all is good but sometimes I have to press the name of a "Freddie" guy to proceed - I suspect Freddie and adfly overall maybe the root of my problems. I think something gets downloaded and conflicts and causes a corruption due to the adfly Freddie guy. I now know there is another way to get around adfly but I was young and stupid and all that

Anyhoo, so far problem now solved and back to the world GTR2.

It happens a lot with the Steam version of Gtr2. It is nether the plugin nor dxvk but the Gtr2.exe.
instances continue running after shutdowns.
After a few CTD you can just as well reboot the computer as it will crash anyway.
That is way I only use the steam Gtr2 version for VR.
Or test mods and tracks with the NoCd version first.

It happens a lot with the Steam version of Gtr2. It is nether the plugin nor dxvk but the Gtr2.exe.
instances continue running after shutdowns.
After a few CTD you can just as well reboot the computer as it will crash anyway.
That is way I only use the steam Gtr2 version for VR.
Or test mods and tracks with the NoCd version first.
Mm...interesting you do it that way. I play as much on monitor as VR so I think I'll have a go at doing it that way - VR with steam version, and then no cd with screen which I assume I can use with the steam version also in the HQ command prompt list. Thanks for the input!

EDIT: Ah, looking at the HQ cmd gotta get the CD version and can't use the steam version as if it were the cd version.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back