Has Automobilista 2 surpassed rFactor 2 as an overall sim?

Shovas

Premium
Has Automobilista 2 surpassed rFactor 2 as an overall sim?

With the release of the Racin' USA pack we now have GTE, GT3, and GT4 classes (not to mention Protoypes and GT5s) in a rather modern package with a physical tire model. This has been the traditional area of cars and driving experience where rFactor 2 was hard to beat.

I swap between sims for a breath of fresh air and to refresh myself on physical tire models after spending time in other sims that don't have a physical tire model. It helps me reset my feel for what ffb should be as I tune ffb in other sims.

I realized over time that I was getting quite used to AMS2 ffb and, at some point, for most cars and for all practical purposes going back to rF2 for the traditional best driving experience just wasn't that much of a draw anymore, especially factoring in slow loading times, a sluggish and awkward UI, and more demanding yet less attractive graphics.

I'll grant that rF2 still has the edge on the tire model, ffb, physics, etc. But in reality it tends not to be enough of a difference. AMS2 is "good enough" for me now, I guess.

The one area that rF2 has hands down is open moddability. That likely won't ever happen with AMS2. And I'll admit and fully expect that Motorsport Games will bring rF2 up to modern standards...eventually.

But for now, what's your opinion? Has rF2 swapped with AMS2 in your personal rankings?

I think it has for me...for now.

Last edited:
rF2 have very very good graphics now (since 1 year and especially 6 month, continuous improvement).

Check 100% ultra + msaa X8 + PP ultra, day and night cycle, rain and laser scan official track + recent official car content.

That's a 100% FALSE information to say that rf2 have not good graphics, simply absolutely not the truth...... Aahh rF2 bashing, the new popular sport.

Last edited:
both sims have good and bad qualities... i drove rf2 le mans all weekend but when you come back to ams2... you miss driving feeling, the feel of the tires nobody can do that better than rf2...

And i think the colors are too sweet cartoon candy in am2....but realy enjoy the historical tracks in ams 2...but rf2 is my first to go sim always.. second Ac
Sorry Ams2 is for fun Rf2 for serious driving a car

Last edited:
I was looking at Rf2 but honestly I have so many sims already and I dont play most of them. The amount of time it takes to get good on a game is crazy and really you have to just pick a lane. My thoughts on the matter is AMS2 is a solid game and considering I have 300 hours in the game and still come across tracks and cars I have never driven, its enough. I also only play in VR so for those who play on a screen something else my be better, but for VR only drivers, its AMS2 or go home.

Interestingly, I've been playing RF2 more than AMS2 recently. Previously this would be to the preferable driving model, but as AMS2 is not far off RF2 in that respect, it is now for the modding capabilities. (Although I ended up playing a 20 min race at Silverstone with LMP2 and GTE last night).

My aim is to replicate that in AMS2 tonight, to see which is more fun, especially with AI lapping slower class cars.

Last edited:
It now has. Sure the physics might not be rF2 good as many people will say.
But AMS2 post 1.41 update is just absolutely amazing. It is a serious piece of software now and the cars just feel so natural. Combine that with all the content and the easy out of the box experience. I would most definitely say AMS2 has surpassed rF2 easily in my personal opinion.

A sim or a game is a sum of all it's parts and the sum of AMS2's parts massively triumphs over the sum of rF2's parts.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 200 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 252 13.3%