Hard mount Fanatec CSPs to Rennsport Wheel Stand w/o drilling

I own a Fanatec Rennsport Wheel Stand and had been trying to figure out how to hard mount my CSPs to them without drilling the Rennsport's aluminum legs.

I was not keen on drilling the wheel stand because intend to sell it when I buy a rig in a few months.

I figured out how to do it after seeing a custom rig someone had used corner brackets to elevate CSPs up at an angle.

I thought to myself, why not do the same thing to a Fanatec Pedal Stopper by replacing a couple of parts.

This arrangement also allows me to move the CSPs on the wheelstand if I want by loosening the two bolts that are threaded through lower piece of the Fanatec Pedal Stopper.

The front of the CSP's frame is secured via 4 heavy duty zip ties, so they can re-positioned if need be also.

I have been using this for over 2 months now at least 2 to 3 hours a night, about 5 times a week, and its rock solid, no movement or play whatsoever.

I think it would be very easy for Fanatec to produce a kit that does this, I am sure there is a lot of demand for one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Overview Pics:

01_zps24f0fb58.jpg

02_zps561f9033.jpg

02c_zpse4a3a054.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What You need:

Bottom threaded aluminum piece from Fanatec Pedal Stopper.

I own a V.1 Rennsport stand so I had to order the pedal stopper in addition to the stand at time of purchase, but V.2 Rennsport stands come bundled with the pedal stopper.

Fanatec also sells the pedal stopper for $14.95 as a standalone item.

The Pedal Stopper uses 2 pieces of aluminum that are secured to the Rennsport stand sandwich-style by two screws threaded through the lower bar.

The two screws protrude slightly from the bottom of the lower bar, fine for carpeted floors, but a hard floor will need extra protection like a throw down carpet.

03c_zps8d480c43.jpg

Sold as standalone item on Fanatec's web site, bundled with Rennsport V.2 Wheel Stand.
See: http://www.fanatec.de/webshop/new_usa/product_info.php?products_id=65

Aluminum flat bar, at least 1" wide/1/2" thick, cut to 14" length.
Readily available at most hardware and home improvement stores.
I got a 4 ft piece for about $10 at local hardware store, link below posted for reference.
See: http://www.toolking.com/md-products-60764-1-inch-x-1-4-inch-x-48-inch-mill-aluminum-flat-bar-stock/"

Two 5" corner brackets (5" was my personal preference, will work with other lengths too).

04.jpg

Readily available at most hardware and home improvement stores.
See: http://www.lowes.com/pd_64772-1277-220269_0__?productId=3448720&Ntt=corner brace&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=corner+brace&facetInfo=

2 Metric bolts of same thread pitch 1/2" longer to replace Fanatec-supplied Pedal Stopper screws.

2 Metric bolts 1/2" longer in length than existing Fanatec CSP metric bolts to attach corner brackets.

2 plastic or vinyl washers to protect CSP's aluminum finish from corner brackets.

2 nuts and bolts to affix corner brackets to aluminum bar.

4 heavy duty zip ties to secure front of CSPs frame to Rennsport Stand.

* Please don't ask me for the specific nut and bolt sizes.
What I did was remove one of the bolts from CSP frame, and take it along with the pedal stopper's lower threaded aluminum bar and one tightening screw to a hardware store's fastener section so I could size two bolts for the CSP's frame that are 1/2" longer, and two bolts of the same thread pitch that are 1/2" longer to replace the screws bundled with the pedal stopper.

Detail Pics:

05_zpsbaa56c9c.jpg

06_zpscbeacabb.jpg

07_zpsbdd8038c.jpg

08_zps135bf401.jpg

09_zpsf6281d8c.jpg

Detailed instructions/notes:

1) I replaced the top right-angled aluminum bar from the Fanatec Pedal Stopper with a 1" wide, 1/2" thick, 14" long aluminum bar cut from a 4ft piece of aluminum stock.

2) I drilled 4 holes in the aluminum bar, 2 on each side to attach the corner brackets to them.

3) Two of the holes drilled into the aluminum bar were measured so they line up with threaded holes on the bottom piece of the Fanatec Pedal Stopper. The other two holes drilled in the aluminum bar were measured to align with two holes on the corner bracket.

4) I had to drill 2 additional holes into the corner bracket so that I could pass 2 metric bolts that are 1/2 inch longer than the Fanatec Pedal Stopper screws, but of the same thread pitch to compensate for the extra thickness of the aluminum bar.

5) I replaced the 2 bolts that hold the CSP frame together on the back with ones that were 1/2 inch longer to compensate for the added thickness of the corner brackets.
I placed 2 nylon washers between the brackets and CSP frame to keep the brackets from scuffing the aluminum finish of the CSPs.

6) The corner brackets' holes are off-set so you can either drill them out so they are even or use bolts that are of smaller diameter to compensate for the off-set (that is what I did). Although the corner brackets do not align perfectly along the horizontal plane of the aluminum bar, they line up where it counts on the CSPs and the Rennsport stand's aluminum legs.

7) I then used 4 heavy duty zip ties two secure the front portion of the CSPs frame to the Rennsport Stand's aluminum legs.

8) Although the pressure exerted on the aluminum bar and Fanatec pedal stopper's lower threaded aluminum piece cause them to bend slightly inward, I have had no issues whatsoever and the pedals are rock solid. I have been using them this way since October 2011 at least 5 nights a week.

9) I placed small plastic feet like the kind used to protect electronics between the aluminum bar and the Rennsport Stand's aluminum legs for extra protection and friction.

That is good, but drilling isn't hard, and worked well for me. I guess it depends what you need/want from it. I do like the rear bracket you made to adjust the height. :)

Upvote 0
Alex Ball said:
That is good, but drilling isn't hard, and worked well for me.

I agree with you that drilling the Rennsport Stand is not hard, probably much easier than what I did.

However, my objective for this project was to mount the CSPs to the Rennsport in a Non-Destructive fashion.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back