Handbrake

So I brought a handbrake but they sent me a real hydraulic handbrake with master cylinder not with USB hall sensor so I'm looking to covert does anyone have such a handbrake and could look at what there is so I can try source the parts to convert

So I brought a handbrake but they sent me a real hydraulic handbrake with master cylinder not with USB hall sensor so I'm looking to covert does anyone have such a handbrake and could look at what there is so I can try source the parts to convert
Helloooo,

Do you have a Pic of the handbrake?

There are three possibilities.
1. Hydraulic:
You need brake lines, a slave cylinder (pretty expensive) for the feedback via rubber springs. A pressure transducer between master and slave cylinder that you make work with a arduino micro or a teensy as microcontroller.
Never done it... so no experience. But I think it's manageable.

2. Loadcell:
You need a loadcell (a pretty firm one because of the lever ratios of the handbrake 100Kg and upwards). 1 HX711 amplifier board. A arduino micro or a teensy as microcontroller. Rubber springs of some sort for feedback mounted between main rod and Loadcell.
Built my own Loadcell pedals, so done that before (more or less).

3. Potentiometer or hall effect sensor:
Easiest/cheapest way. You just put rubber springs between lever and housing that compress when pulling the lever for a good lever feel.
You use a small linear potentiometer f. e. to sense the movement of the main rod.
And, of course a arduino micro or teensy as a microcontroller.
One downside to this is, that you just messure the main rod travel. The more you pull the higher the forces get and the smaller the displacement is. This gives you less precision under load. So I'm not sure if it is accurate enough.

A Loadcell or pressure transducer measure load or pressure. Even without more travel you still sense the "load". So the signal is still precise.

Your decision.

Cheers Dan

Upvote 0
I think this will only make sense as a project, if you really want to build it yourself and the cost is not important.

You´ll need a minimum of hand tools , a soldering iron and a power drill for the fabrication part.

Then the parts which measure the amount of braking and the electronics to convert these measurements to an input the PC can work with.
You´ll need some kind of resitance against the pull, which could be a rubber/elastomere stack or just a steel spring.
Than you´ll have to fabricate a holder for the spring stack and find a way to measure the force or deflection of the springs.

Cheap chinese handbrakes use a steel spring and a potentiometer to measure the reach of the brake lever, but it doesn´t feel realistic at all.

Much better is the loadcell way like eg. Heusinkveld uses:

Even better (and even more expensive) are the hydraulic handbrakes Dan mentioned eg:

Her´s an article with an overview of the market:

To be frank, it will be more cost effective to buy a low end or medium tier handbrake if you don´t have all the tools and most of the materials already at home.

MFG Carsten

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 215 14.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 115 7.7%