Hamilton's Potential Points Lost This Season

We have almost NO idea how good Vettel actually. For all we know he could be slower than Karthikeyan.

I respect your opinion but I could not disagree more. Vettel has proved himself in the pinacle of motorsport by becoming a three time world champion. He scored points in his first ever grand prix weekend back in 2007 which was remarkable and even more so, his 4th place that year in China. Then he WON in Monza the next year, in a bloody torro roso! 2009 he goes to Red Bull, wins a couple of races and then he wins the next three drivers championships.I mean, what more can a guy do? One of the true greats in my opinion and its a shame that some people cant realise this until he is retired, 20 or 30 years in the future.

Anyone hear his radio message in Austin after he was overtaking by Hamilton. I lost a large amount of respect for Vettel, as I always thought he was a calm and sporting driver, but it appears I was wrong. It was at that time when my support went fully to Alonso.

He was shouting because Karthikeyan held him up, thus letting Hamilton close enough to make the pass with DRS. I would agree that he is a bit too vocal on the radio at times, but not everyone is perfect.

The 2010 season was when I first started watching F1 in full and I really did not take a shine to Vettel. He showed immaturity in that season but I think he has learned from that and has matured into one fantastic, all round driver. I am so sick of him winning, but boy do I respect him for what he has done and all of the people he has inspired.

So until something changes, Hamilton and Alonso are both better than Sebastian Vettel.

Splitting hairs really.. all three are amazing, can we just leave it at that? I've never understood the need to find out who is the "best" as they are all just fantastic.

A lot of people hated Michael back in the day (myself included), and there were some very good reasons for that. Yes he was a great driver, but he was also a real pig at times, especially when it came to his less than sporting manoeuvres.

I see a lot of that Michael in Seb, and that's probably why I don't really like him very much. He obviously has talent, that much I think most people can agree on, but the real test would be doing the same in a bad car. Personally, I just cannot see Seb achieving what Alonso did with less than stellar machinery.

None of Schumacher´s teammates really tested him.
Neither have Vettel.
Neither have Kimi. (sort of)
Alonso got one super strong teammate and came up short. or equal if don´t want to be anal about it.

Hamilton apart from Heikki has only had world champions as teammates.
Name another top driver that runs today that have that. And beaten them at that.

I respect your opinion but I could not disagree more. Vettel has proved himself in the pinacle of motorsport by becoming a three time world champion. He scored points in his first ever grand prix weekend back in 2007 which was remarkable and even more so, his 4th place that year in China. Then he WON in Monza the next year, in a bloody torro roso!

While he was impressive with Toro Rosso, there are a couple of factors to take into account: 1. Bourdais was not a very competitive team-mate (Buemi outperformed him the year afterwards) 2. The Toro Rosso was probably the fasrest car on the grid in Monza. Bourdais qualified 4th. It was a well controlled race in difficult conditions, but he was in the fastest car.

The point I was trying to make is we don't know just how good the Red Bull really, Vettel could just be a mediocore driver with a car that is two seconds faster than everyone else. I know that is an exaggeration, but I'm sure if Hulkenburg, Di Resta, Perez or Kobayashi had been in that car, suddenly they would be considered one of the all time greats, but just because their cars aren't as good, they are somehow not as good as Vettel. I do respect Vettel (for the most part) and I think that he is very good, but I don't know if he is good, we have no way of telling. I think it's unfair to say that Vettel is better than everyone else when many drivers have not yet had a chance to prove themselves.

Perhaps the red mist had descended on me when I made that last post, so some of my statements may have been total rubbish. I'm not trying to slate you for your opinion, I'm just giving mine. I know it might look that way but don't take it that way. The last thing I want is to accidentally start a flame war.

a Top team only needs one great driver to secure the WDC,and with a good N2 driver the Constructor is easy
It really defeats the purpose to have 2 good drivers in a fast car.
2007 is the greatest example

Drivers shouldnt be judged on how good/fast they are by bringing in an equally fast driver as a teamamte
Instead on how perfect they remain througout the season: mistakes,consistency,etc etc. and how quickly they can reel in the WDC

The fast driver pairings should be left for the lower and slower teams ,where an analysis is important on who is better suited for the leap with the top teams

and thats why Red Bull have a Torro Rosso

STR wasn´t the fastest car in Monza 08. The thing was Hamilton, Raikkonen and Kubica all started outside Top 10.
They missed out completely in the Qualifying session.

The problem was simply not being able to catch Vettel while at the same time navigating traffic and running in spray.
Universal alignment for Vettel again.
His fastest lap that day was 1,2 seconds slower then Bourdais.
Closest guy that got to Vettel was Heikki with 12,5s gap.

He drove beautifully that day no doubt but most people don´t even know the full story WHY he won that race. Instead it´s little Fangio dominating everyone...

I also find it fascinating how he barely can get into Q3 in Monaco while Webber takes pole.
Both were on pure pace, Vettel complaining the car was "jumping like a rabbit"

And that is the same guy that is supposedly one of the greatest.

As a person i like him a lot, when he's talking to media etc.
Hes got a great sense of humor and seems very intelligent.

I just dont buy the Vettel Koolaid just yet, regardless if he has 500 titles or 3.

On paper it's also pretty amazing what he's achieved, 3 time world champ and be that young? Crazy...

I'm sure he's a nice enough person, and obviously has achieved great things for someone so young, but he's being ridiculously hyped just like MSC was back in the day. I used to want to throttle Murray Walker when he spouted off how b-b-b-brilliant Schumacher was, and now I'm finding myself wanting to do the same with David Croft.

Now, if Vettel could do the same in a much, much slower car, then they could hype him all they like. But somehow I don't see that happening.

Interesting reading these comments. I suppose F1 is a sport where you dont really know who is the "greatest" driver on the grid as the car obviously has a big factor..

Nevertheless, I think Vettel deserves a lot of credit for what he has acheived. It could have all gone to his head, but he is a triple world champion. When he has had the best car, he has dominated nearly 99% of the time.

Great for Red Bull/Vettel fans, boring for everyone else. Seriously, this is almost a blow by blow repeat of the Schumacher era... and that is not a good thing.

Of course and I never said it was a good thing. I'm not a Vettel or RB fan by any means, but I still think that the way that team and driver have stamped their authority on the sport in recent times, should be admired.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back