Hamilton Set For 5-Place Grid Penalty in Bahrain

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Hamilton Grid Penalty in Bahrain.jpg

Lewis Hamilton will take a five place grid penalty for Sunday's Bahrain Grand Prix following an unscheduled gearbox change on Friday.

Compounding what has been a less than ideal start to his Bahrain Grand Prix preparations, Hamilton and Mercedes were dealt another blow on Friday afternoon following news that the Englishman will stand a five-place demotion on the grid for Sunday's Grand Prix, as penalty for changing his Mercedes gearbox ahead of the mandated six race period of use.

Having found bearing damage thanks to a hydraulic leak during the season opening Australian Grand Prix, Mercedes were left with little choice than to replace the whole unit ahead of Saturday's running in Bahrain, resulting in a five place drop from his qualifying result for the race on Sunday.

It would be a busy day of action for the Mercedes garage on Friday afternoon with the team having to replace the gearbox of second driver Valtteri Bottas too, however the Finn would avoid the need to serve any penalty after already suffering a grid drop in Australia following another change following his big accident during qualifying at the Albert Park street circuit. With Bottas having used a spare unit in Australia post crash, his Mercedes team will be returning the original unit to his W09 ahead of the running on Saturday in Bahrain.

Mercedes hopes now rest with Valtteri Bottas as the team look to secure a record sixth consecutive Bahrain Grand Prix pole position tomorrow afternoon.

If you like your motorsport fast and open wheeled, check out the Formula One sub forum and get yourself in on the discussion today!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

With a penalty forcing Hamilton to start from sixth position at best on Sunday, do you think the reigning World Champion can still hope to fight for victory in Bahrain on Sunday?

Last edited:
Well, handicap race for Hamilton. Provided the Mercedes is as strong as in last race, at least we'll see some action. Particularly looking forward to an Hamilton-Verstappen duel.

• Deleted member 387850

Grid penalties were a major talking point last year and everyone, Ross Brawn included, agreed they were damaging the sport. So why then, with a full off-season to do something about it, do we find ourselves in the same situation at only the second race? Are we just going to endure the grid penalty farce until a major regulation change in 2021?

Grid penalties were a major talking point last year and everyone, Ross Brawn included, agreed they were damaging the sport. So why then, with a full off-season to do something about it, do we find ourselves in the same situation at only the second race? Are we just going to endure the grid penalty farce until a major regulation change in 2021?

yes i agree with you

You guys are all wrong. They did something ! It's limited to 15 spots now :laugh:
So, it's the same, but instead of having a graphic showing 60 place penalty, it'll be 15. The driver will still start at the back.
And since there's one more race and one less engine for the year, we'll get more of that crap.

The idiotic grid penalties need to go. Penalizing a driver for car failures instead of the development team. What the actual f*ck is that about? Second race in & already the penalties are starting to flood the field. Everyone on the grid will be starting from the back if it continues like this. Last year was a total shambles in that regard as well, & the argument that it makes an 'interesting race' doesn't wash.:O_o:

I think they knew they would be struggling here, hoping for a podium took the hit and will be stronger for the next race. Ferrari have got this in the bag.

I think they knew they would be struggling here, hoping for a podium took the hit and will be stronger for the next race. Ferrari have got this in the bag.

To quote Sepp Herberger, the legendary coach of the 1954 german Football Team which one World Cup:
"The Ball is round, and the game lasts 90 Minutes!" (Der Ball ist rund, und das Spiel dauert neunzig Minuten!) (ok to be honest it's a popular amalgation of two seperate quotes.)
And It's a warning to not count your chickens before the game or in this case the race is done.

Yes it might be likely that Ferrari wins this, but you know something unexpected might happen, and Ferrari might not win.

As for the Grid Penalties, I don't like them either, but the question is, how do you penalize the team for it, and how do you avoid the teams going well **** the 6 races per gear box development goal and just make gearboxes that last less races?

Though tbh I'd rather prefer the Mid-2000's idea of a one lap qualifying back, to mix things up, as even the best ones messed up a few times.
And I hate the 3-engine rule as well, seems a bit like trying their best to make these engines LMP capable, as Todt tried again to make them useable for LMP racing.
Right now I think those engines have to last longer than an engine for endurance racing, which is a bit absurd to me.

I think we are stuck with these penalties for this season at least.
Ricciardo collected one in Australia and with Hamilton copping one this time round it can't be reversed.
As for next year they need to be removed, while the engine and components should at least be revised upwards to (IMHO) six, while tyres should revert to hard/soft/intermediate/monsoon aka 'Noah's!
And judging by the remarks coming out of several nations lead by Russia the 'Grid Girls' should return this year, sooner rather than later.:laugh:

"Several races are seeking a compromise that could see girls return to the grid in some capacity, possibly while the grid kids – aninnovation for this year – continue to hold the driver sign boards.
Pressure from race sponsors is one obvious reason why some promoters are keen to see a change to F1’s plans, especially thosewith airline backers who traditionally use full-time cabin crew in their normal uniforms for the grid ceremony.
Automobile Club de Monaco boss Michel Boeri insisted this week that girls, traditionally sponsored by TAG, would still be on the grid for this year’s race.
Monaco is a special case in that it has more control over what happens on the grid, but other races have also been lobbying Liberty.
The Singapore GP organisers are also pushing to allow the country’s national airline staff – who are regarded as ambassadors for the race – to continue to participate.
Russia has now followed suit, with deputy prime minister Dmitry Kozak insisting that he wants girls on the grid at October’s Sochi race."

Last edited:
If you've never built an engine or gearbox, it's easy to sit behind a computer screen and say grid penalties are a good thing.
Fortunately for me, I have done both first as a hobby and then as a career.
I understand the complexity.
When you 'stretch' every component to the 'enth' degree in racing...things will break.
That's a given.
If you can't afford the sport...get the hell out.
Putting caps on engines and gearboxes is asinine.

If you've never built an engine or gearbox, it's easy to sit behind a computer screen and say grid penalties are a good thing.
Fortunately for me, I have done both first as a hobby and then as a career.
I understand the complexity.
When you 'stretch' every component to the 'enth' degree in racing...things will break.
That's a given.
If you can't afford the sport...get the hell out.
Putting caps on engines and gearboxes is asinine.
There comes a point like now, that making 10 gearboxes or engines that can break is less expensive than 3 that needs so much R&D just to hold up for 7 races. In the meanwhile a driver has to think twice to give full power because the vital parts have to hold up for another 5 races. What's the fun of that? Go full on max on the edge all the time.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 359 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 254 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 180 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.2%