Hamilton: "no interest whatsoever" in Formula E

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Hamilton Formula E 2.jpg

Lewis Hamilton has stated he has "no interest whatsoever" in competing in Formula E in future, despite recent airings of his eco conscious opinions.

Lewis Hamilton has always been one to find himself in the court of public opinion, and in recent days the British five-time World Champion has caused quite a stir with his opinions on Veganism and how the Mercedes driver believes the world needs to sit up and take notice of the state of the environment.

Despite gathering criticism from some elements of the media and public, Hamilton is indeed in a strong position to help raise awareness of the damage people are doing to our planet - and with over 3 million followers on Instagram, Hamilton has found himself a platform in which to share his thoughts on how people can do more for the planet and environment.

Despite the noble intent of his messages, many have been critical of the apparent juxtaposition of someone who travels the world driving racing cars for a living, discussing environmental issues.

When tackled on the subject by Motorsport.com, suggesting Formula E could be a more environmentally sound option for furthering his career, Hamilton was firm in his statement that the series holds no interest for the racer.

"I have no interest whatsoever to do Formula E" said Hamilton to motorsport.com. "It's not something I plan currently to do beyond (F1), People have opinions about how I use social media but ultimately it's my platform," he said. "We all have a voice, it's how you choose and how you want to use it.

"It's not the easiest because we are travelling around the world and using Formula 1 cars. Our carbon footprint is for sure higher than the average homeowner who lives in the same city!

"But that doesn't mean you should be afraid to speak out for positive change. I'm always looking at things I can improve on the effect I'm having on the world.

"It's something over time you become more aware of, it's not a quick fix, it takes time to understand the implications.

"It's just about education. I'm just trying to highlight areas. Whether people choose to look into those it's up to them. I'd feel like I wasn't doing anything positive if I didn't mention it."

With such a high profile name as Hamilton shunning the series, no doubt a marketing blow for Formula E, do you think Formula One should do more to reduce its carbon footprint, or should we just accept that motorsport is a form of entertainment, fossil fuel burning and all?

Hamilton Formula E.jpg

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

It's both: F1 is a fuel burning sport and it should reduce its carbon footprint. It has already done for the last decade. Btw Hamilton has stated several times that he is not interested in racing electric cars.

One word "Hypocrite". I'm a Hamilton fan for what he does on the track but not a fan of some of his Instagram posts.

When he started rambling on with the obvious "eco drama/dilema" he's currently going through I thought about all the aircraft he took around the world to do his job every year. I thought about all the fuel he burns in the races he does and all the fuel he burns with the gas guzzling cars he owns. Not to mention the flights he takes to manage his busy social life. If he truly had anything about him he would STFU and stop making himself look like a pillock on the world stage. Alonso summed him up quite nicely I think when asked to comment.

Why would he...or should he go to Formula-E just to simply appease the court of environmentalist opinion.
He can care about the planet without giving up his livelihood.
We all care about the planet but we don't all pedal a bicycle to work everyday, do we?
What we do, is make a conscious effort not to contribute more to the issue...not dumping used oil and toxic items in the sewer, not dumping garbage in streams and rivers, etc...
As it relates to racing, Formula One....not Lewis Hamilton, could do some things to reduce their carbon foot-print.
Reschedule the race calendar to put races on the same continent in succession...instead of flying seven jumbos of equipment from one to another and back again.
That's not a Lewis decision.

Last edited:
He is a celebrity now. They loose their minds, their morals, convert to gormless drones, just craving more and more recognition and popularity. What else can we expect?

Racing in Formula E would still be hypocritical, because we all know it's not the races themselves that bring the largest carbon footprint, it's the traveling around with airplanes carrying tonnes of stuff, motorhomes etc. Actually any sport that travels around a lot using airplanes, like for example all major American sports leagues, are almost as bad as F1 in this sense. Maybe they should start to measure all sports combined impact on the environment so we could stop the hypocrisy that eliminating fuel burned during a 2 hour race would improve the situation.

Why would he...or should he go to Formula-E just to simply appease the court of environmentalist opinion.
He can care about the planet without giving up his livelihood.
We all care about the planet but we don't pedal a bicycle to work everyday, do we?
What we do is make a conscious effort not to contribute more to the issue...not dumping used oil in the sewer, not dumping garbage in streams and rivers, etc...
As it relates to racing, Formula One....not Lewis Hamilton, could do some things to reduce their carbon foot-print.
Reschedule the race calendar to put races on the same continent in succession...instead of flying seven jumbos of equipment from one to another and back again.
That's not a Lewis decision.
Exactly yeah maybe he cares who dont,
but why would he leave a world championship winning team to race in FE I mean come on get real... :roflmao::roflmao:

Is Hamilton being hypocritical? Yes, I think it's fair to say that. However, how does that differentiate him from the rest of the human race that live in "developed" countries?

The vast majority of us drive or ride in fossil fuel powered vehicles to conduct our daily lives. The vast majority of us have gas and/or electricity in our homes, the latter produced by burning fossil fuels. The vast majority of us buy our over-packaged goods and throw that packaging in the bin without a thought as to where it will end up. The vast majority of us are doing next to nothing to change our lives and reduce our so-called "carbon footprint" in any meaningful way.

Riding a bicycle to work does not make you any more eco-friendly than someone who owns an electric car that uses fossil fuel produced electricity to charge itself. The simple fact is that unless you're one of the tiny minority that have shunned our modern lifestyle, lives in an underground home powered solely by solar and wind, grows all their own food on-site and never travels anywhere except with pedal power, you are contributing to the destruction of our planet.

We're all hypocrites. We just like to single others out to make ourselves feel better about our own lives.

(And this is coming from someone who is absolutely not a Hamilton fan at all. I can't stand the guy.)

It's okay to destroy the earth if you make millions of dollars doing it. Private jets, homes around the world using more power, and water for there nice lawn than small companies. Fast cars that get 10 mpg.

The small man should take public transportation, live in a small house, and not take any jobs for 35K that kills the earth.
I love you Lewis, but what a JOKE.

Before I comment I want to say that if Hamilton is a hypocrite than I too must fall into that category. I do own it and accept the ridicule of those that disagree with my thoughts.

I have always had a love affair with motor vehicles and racing, and I struggle with the impact that combustion engines have on our environment. Case in point I own a Corvette and a Prius, I drive the Prius everyday and the Corvette significantly less. it may not make sense to some but I try to offset the impact of my hobby and my conscience. Another reason why I Sim Race and gave up track days.

I feel that conventional type of racing may continue by making things a bit more eco friendly. Perhaps more along the lines of cleaner burning fuels that are, or contain corn or other alcohol based supplements, tires that last longer and improved MPG/KPL.

As far as travel perhaps rotating the series from continent to continent. In other words european GPs in 2020, asian GPs 2021 and the America GPs in 2022, etc..

Radical changes must be considered or combustion powered racing will be replaced in the not too distant future IMO.

To deny there is a problem is ignorant. To do nothing is irresponsible. I applaud Lewis in raising an issue that is a political lightning rod.

Last edited:
I can't believe it, but I'm going to do the unthinkable: defend Lewis Hamilton! :D

I recognize Lewis as a great talent, I really do...but the man gets on my nerves so bad, I confess to actively rooting against him. Think ill of me if you want, but I assure you it's never in the form of wanting any harm to come to Lewis in any shape or form. It's more along the lines of watching Lewis cruise along in yet another easy lead and really, REALLY hoping to see a big cloud of white smoke (probably terrible for the environment!) appear from the back of his car.

Here's the thing though (and this goes for really any "celebrity" expressing some kind of political opinion): their livelihood is our entertainment. I hear so often "I don't want to hear about politics from a (insert celebrity type here)" - whether that's a football player, an actor, a singer, etc, it's all equally invalid to me. My rhetorical question is, then who is qualified to give political opinions in your mind? Do you want to hear political opinions from a plumber? A lawyer? An electrician? A computer programmer? A stevedore?!? Hopefully you see my point - I don't really see the logic (or, for that matter, the fairness) in expecting that someone being in the public eye meaning that person needs to give up (or at least keep to themselves) their political opinions because of their celebrity status. Their job is your entertainment...the fact that you are aware of them means they are good at that job. Are you willing to give up (or keep secret) your political opinions because you happen to be good at your job?

You are more than welcome to disagree with whatever opinion a celebrity happens to be spouting, but "I don't want to hear politics from an (whatever)!" is a really silly argument and, on a more serious note, I think a bit of a dangerous slippery slope to find yourself on.

Hamilton wants to break the Schumacher records and set a record that will be unmatched for decades to come, I see he wants to do a King Richard Petty on the sport before leaving...

Hamillton dose not need Formula e. Most of the drivers there have under performed in F1. Leaving them without a drive.
I have tried to watch Formula e on UTUBE but its a whole new way of doing things. Unlike F2 or F3 that follows the F1 system. That said in the future i think F1 will be eliminated and replaced by Formula e. As it is a platform of a futuristic concept. Bit like a scifi movie.
My gripe with Formula e is it only runs street circuits that make a lot of accidents so the race is ground down into short sprints. The permanent tracks don't do this as much and are quicker to clean up to resume racing. But the permanent tracks are dying due to the large amount of money needed to maintain them. Pushing F1 to the street circuits. So F1 and Formula e will both be on street circuits only in the future.
The question is will i still be watching F1 or Formula e in the future. Or re runs of the days of old.

I can't believe it, but I'm going to do the unthinkable: defend Lewis Hamilton! :D

I recognize Lewis as a great talent, I really do...but the man gets on my nerves so bad, I confess to actively rooting against him. Think ill of me if you want, but I assure you it's never in the form of wanting any harm to come to Lewis in any shape or form. It's more along the lines of watching Lewis cruise along in yet another easy lead and really, REALLY hoping to see a big cloud of white smoke (probably terrible for the environment!) appear from the back of his car.

Here's the thing though (and this goes for really any "celebrity" expressing some kind of political opinion): their livelihood is our entertainment. I hear so often "I don't want to hear about politics from a (insert celebrity type here)" - whether that's a football player, an actor, a singer, etc, it's all equally invalid to me. My rhetorical question is, then who is qualified to give political opinions in your mind? Do you want to hear political opinions from a plumber? A lawyer? An electrician? A computer programmer? A stevedore?!? Hopefully you see my point - I don't really see the logic (or, for that matter, the fairness) in expecting that someone being in the public eye meaning that person needs to give up (or at least keep to themselves) their political opinions because of their celebrity status. Their job is your entertainment...the fact that you are aware of them means they are good at that job. Are you willing to give up (or keep secret) your political opinions because you happen to be good at your job?

You are more than welcome to disagree with whatever opinion a celebrity happens to be spouting, but "I don't want to hear politics from an (whatever)!" is a really silly argument and, on a more serious note, I think a bit of a dangerous slippery slope to find yourself on.
I get it i did not like Lewis when he came on the scene because of what he did to JB (My Hero) running into him at Montreal (The fan boys called me racist) This is not true as i watch Basketball (A sport dominated by African Americans) He grew on me as he matured, and lets face it was England's only hope. Now we have Albon (Well English, Tie) and Noris and Russell could do better in a better car. I think Hamilltons advantage is more mechanical good team good car, good people. If you put Russell in the same car he would be just as fast or even faster.

If we're talking about electric cars versus petrol and diesel without getting bogged down in stupid political
knee-jerk reactions, and politicians making decisions about things they know nothing about, it'd clear that most of what is being said about electric cars is just wishful BS.
The eco footprint from electric cars is much, much worse than a petrol or diesel car, if you take into account how the materials for the batteries are mined, and how much water is needed to process these materials. The whole production process is extremely energy intensive.
And then they create other problems too: I've never heard much about how they're going to deal with the battery recycling, or the problems with the charging infrastructure etc.
Here in Germany they produce most of the energy with brown coal, which is about as Eco damaging as you can get. The mind boggles at what it's going to be like when there are millions of electric cars on the roads.
Which could take a long time, as the government talks about all these problems an awful lot, but doesn't actually do much to make it even possible that we can have so many e-cars on the roads..
But the main problem is, is that the two countries that cause most of the problems world-wide, the USA and China, aren't taking the problem seriously at all, in fact they're sticking two fingers up at the rest of the world.
The kiddies that go to the "fridays for future" demos could make a good start by getting rid of their smart phones, their tablets and laptops, their play stations and x-boxes, and walking to school instead of being driven by mom in an SUV. Will they do it? I'm not holding my breath....:D
There are many other ways we could help, but if we're being honest, we like our smart phones and computers, fast cars, and going on holiday to far away places with jets that pollute the atmosphere. Hands up all those who're prepared to not fly on holiday any more ( and don't get me started on how cruise-ships damage the environment ), and go everywhere with a push-bike, or to foot..ah, thought so..
With his lifestyle, Lewis Hamilton could at least have the decency and enough common sense to just STFU, instead of making himself look so damned stupid, like all the other vapid "stars" that we have.
How does the saying go about not throwing stones when you're standing in a glass house?
When asked about E-racing, he could've just said that it's as boring as hell, no noise, no smell, and how can you take it seriously anyway when they have to change cars halfway through, 'cos the batteries are empty?
I'm 65, and this type of political correctness just makes me want to throw up. The world is getting crazier by the minute, and I don't believe that the younger generation or the politicians we are "blessed" with have any really effective answers to all these problems. They're good at political correctness, and producing lots of theoretic nonsense, but I have yet to see anyone doing anything really effective. Just my 2 cents. Shitstorm? Bring it on..:)

Last edited:
To be clear, he doesn't need to drive in Formula E if he doesn't want to, it is his decision, but then he shouldn't be surprised if other people don't go vegan for the same reason.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 142 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 392 40.0%