Hamilton expects a battle with Ferrari and Red Bull

Hamilton battle.jpg
Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton expects to have a “serious battle” with Ferrari and Red Bull in Melbourne.

The reigning teams’ champion may have entered preseason testing favourites, but it was Ferrari to finish the eight days at Barcelona with the top two dimes, with Hamilton coming in in fourth.

The Brit says he didn’t get a good window during testing, but isn’t ruling out a possible deficit to Ferrari.

“I don’t know if we can go as fast as them,” he told motorsport.com. “I really don’t. We will find out. We hope we can. They have done a fantastic job, as I said.

“Do we have more potential? Time will tell. Again, we have just been focusing on trying to understand this car and get the most out of it.

“We’ve had up and down days and there has generally never been a perfect day, but there is a lot of potential in the car to continue to grow, but I will say the others look very, very fast.”

Merecedes didn’t appear to have too many problems during testing, at least compared to their neighbours, with both Honda and Renault powered cars all working against engine and other issues.

It’s easy to read too much into testing. With fuel loads and testing programmes not known, it’s impossible to really compare times. Whilst the pace of Ferrari – and other teams – looking to promise close racing at the top of the field, we won’t really know what the competition is like until the first race.

Hamilton, though, appears to be taking Mercedes’ competition’s pace in testing at face value.

“I think [Ferrari] haven been doing a fantastic job, and there is more to come from them,” he said. “I think their pace here this week has really been spectacular and still Red Bull are there.

“I don’t know if they’ve brought their upgrade package here this week, but usually they bring it to the first race so I expect us to have a serious battle with both these teams.”

For more thoughts on Formula One and the latest news, head to the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment.

Do you agree with Hamilton or do you expect Mercedes to pick up the pace and race off into the distance again? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

First few races will be really interesting to watch ,
I dont believe these cars will be running all this rake either , could be a factor in the performance of some cars :)

Meanwhile the whole McLaren-Honda team had a collective day off from work and they were spending time at the beach in Barcelona. It was a nice day.

mclaren.jpg

It's pretty obvious, that Hamilton is playing down Mercs abilities, while talking up the oppositions performance here, I say they, Mercedes, have an ace up their sleeve. I will be very surprised if Ferrari or Redbull have made the gains required to blow Merc to the weeds. One can only hope that all 3 teams and possibly even Williams are within cooee of each other in the heat of battle.
Bring on Melbourne:thumbsup:.......Go Daniel Ricciardo;)

It's all talk at the moment with no one wanting to really give anything away. It would surprise me if Mercedes aren't holding a significant bit of pace back but I just hope it's much closer then we've become used to. If Ferrari can just avoid shooting themselves in the foot too this season it would help. They need a good season!!

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 84 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 315 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 447 39.3%