Hamilton “Super-Stoked” With Mercedes AUS GP Pace

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Lewis Hamilton - 2019 Australian Grand Prix.jpg

Lewis Hamilton has declared himself happy at the show of pace displayed by Mercedes during opening practice for the Australian Grand Prix.

The reigning World Champion has declared himself pleased with the work undertaken in the opening day of running at the Australian Grand Prix, surprising himself with the pace displayed by his Mercedes car as he chases a sixth World Championship success.

"If you look how close it actually is, even the mid pack is a lot closer, so I would say even more than ever before there's even less margin for error” said Hamilton after completing his work for the day on Friday.​

"That's how it's supposed to be. That's where those of us that are driving get paid the big bucks to do, to pull out those milliseconds to try and make the difference. So I'm super-stoked and excited for what's to come."

Despite attempting to keep expectations in check, it is worth noting that Mercedes found almost a full second advantage over the chasing pack in FP2, so the need to find those milliseconds might not be as pressing in Australia as Hamilton is leading us all to believe!

For more from the world of motorsport, head over to the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment to get involved in the discussion today!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
What a drive, I really thought Bottas had him with his superb lap but he always manages to pull somthing special. Very disappointed to see how far ahead Mercedes are could well be in for a boring year. Props to lando and his 600 simulator laps!

Yeah, this will be boring if Mercs keeps winning again. But nothing we can do with the current rules, and ones with the most funds will surely get the better hand.....again sadly.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 138 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 191 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 377 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 517 38.8%