Halo Confirmed for F1 2018

WTF???
Alex stop liying and giving us false statements. I had him for a batter person. He too has been corruped by the top asholes in this sport.
Simply speachless about... :(

Looks terrible , gives no protection from objects unlike the shield concept ,
Worst choice in many years this idea :O_o:

As Connor Mcgregor would say: What the FOOK is that!?:roflmao:

Hopefully teams would now take more seriously the halo thing into account and they probably come up with a new/better idea.

2020: Formula Zero

fz.jpg

Look here at Spa 2012 with Alonso ,
I actually think this Halo is more dangerous ,
Imagine a car hitting this Halo in the same way , Impact would have flipped his car over , would have been ten times worse , I do not think they thought this through properly ,
and who is actually pushing for this ?
I would not mind if all the fans was crying for ten years , make the sport more safe , just another idiotic idea :D

Oh boy... The Halo is a doomed fix. Its a small plaster on a shark bite... There are some major flaws such as the gaps between the middle stem can still allow debris, springs, bolts and other car stuff through to the drivers head that could cause injury. Not to mention the visibility could be a factor at places with large elevation change such as Eau Rouge. (But Rosberg already tried it at Spa and reported not much difference).

Plus I wonder how this device will effect the aero flow over the car, it can create an unstable vortex just before the rear wing which could mean downforce being unloaded in conditions of changing direction quickly. Suzuka esses for example.

In my opinion they SHOULD have spent at least 5 years developing this technology to make sure the final design was a fault proof idea. The Halo has a lot of things wrong with it. So too the Aeroscreen and the Shield. This is why we should have had a lot of time dedicated to finding a solution.
Pretty sure they frenetically check everything that goes on the cars. The engineers check the airflow. They have after all tested several safety options over the past years - the halo and others.

Great, just as we had good looking cars for the first time since 2008 the little frenchman pulls this out of his behind. :mad:

And I thought the french had good taste.

But then again they also eat frog's legs. :sick:

It seems to me that this is a knee-jerk reaction to Jules' accident.

To prevent a recurrence of his type of crash, would it not have been easier and cheaper to ensure that no massive cranes are allowed to enter the circuit whilst cars are on track? And to automatically control the speed of cars during a yellow flag section?

With both of those measures in place I am sure he would be alive today.

What's next? FIM making side wheels mandatory for motorraces? Outrageous measurement for freak accidents while not doing anything against, well, freak accidents... Freak accidents still will occur, and there (sadly) still will be drivers dying because of freak accidents. This ugly halo isn't going to change it a single bit. I think it's even more likely to increase the chances of freak accidents. Look at Justin Wilson's accident where debris falling out of the sky killing him, or Felipe Massa's with the spring which came off from another car. Especially in the last case, what if the spring enters the cockpit under the halo, smashes into the helmet, bounce off to the side, bounce back to the helmet because the halo sits in the way...

It seems to me that this is a knee-jerk reaction to Jules' accident.

If so then the decision to bring in the Halo is even more sad.

No way in a million years would this device have saved or helped Jules in any way whatsoever. With the forces and angle of entry, the only think Halo might have done is collapse in on the cockpit and potentially foul the drivers area. That is it.

Now would a halo have saved Henry Surtees and Justin Wilson? Maybe, in which case that is (obviously) a good thing. However, and here is the bit some will agree and some will strongly disagree on, if one thinks of the number of open wheel race events (both club and professional) held around the world each year, then check the number of serious injury or deaths from head contact, it does appear as if the FIA are using a sledge hammer to crack a nut.

Motorsport is dangerous, and as such those who compete weigh up the risks and make their decision. Head injury from flying cars and or debris in comparison to the number of open cockpit races held are absolutely miniscule.

Yes we should always strive for more safety, however this does feel like a fairly major move and fundamental shift from the roots of open wheel sport, for what is a solution to a problem that hardly exists to begin with.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back