DiRT Rally Had my first try of DiRT

Nice enough. Tarmac is terrible in feel but dirt is rather nice. Went vr because obviously and my plan was to do a bit of rallying and then some iracing...

Well did 2 rallys and had to lie down sick as a dog...

Nice game though.

NOTE: This response is in reference to Dirt Rally 2.0 in VR rather than Dirt Rally 1.0 in VR.

I have hundreds of hours into (non-VR) Dirt Rally 2.0 and I can honestly say it is a blast to play. However, Dirt Rally 2.0 in VR is extremely nausea inducing. Some conclude it is from the relatively low frame rate. Others conclude it is from all too frequent stuttering due to USB polling issues. Either way, even on a i9-9900k with a 2280 TI, Dirt Rally 2.0 in VR is absolutely awful to play. Dirt Rally 1.0 in VR, on the other hand, is playable with the right tweaks.

Regardless, you will likely enjoy the VR experience FAR FAR better in iRacing, AC, ACC, rF2, PC2, and/or RRE.

Note: Codies are often late to the party. Based on their track record, I do believe Codemasters will ultimately get DR2.0 running well in VR. I also believe these are the bare necessities to do that...
1. Get a BETA team that tests this stuff on real world equipment.
2. OPTIMIZE the VR to run on recommended system specs OR Kick SteamVR to the curb (although it does work ok with many of the above listed titles.).
3. Fix the stuttering/USB polling issue on PCs. (I have the following devices plugged in to separate USBs: Motion Platform, DD Wheel, handbrake, shifter, Rift S, headset/microphone, USB 3.0 key, USB hub, Mouse, and Keyboard. And, I am not about to pull random items out to run DR2.0)
4. Understand that the MOUSE is a required INPUT DEVICE for PC even in VR. If you have a menu on PC, you must make it mouse driven. (Otherwise the game seems like just another low budget console port).
5. Re-scale the spotters' arrows/numbers so they don't appear as tiny symbols on the screen, and
6. Drive iRacing, AC, ACC, rF2, PC2 and RRE in VIRTUAL REALITY WITH A WHEEL AND PEDALS to see what it will take to meet the current industry standards for physics/handling and VR with Dirt Rally 2.0..

Last edited:
NOTE: This response is in reference to Dirt Rally 2.0 in VR rather than Dirt Rally 1.0 in VR.

I have hundreds of hours into (non-VR) Dirt Rally 2.0 and I can honestly say it is a blast to play. However, Dirt Rally 2.0 in VR is extremely nausea inducing. Some conclude it is from the relatively low frame rate. Others conclude it is from all too frequent stuttering due to USB polling issues. Either way, even on a i9-9900k with a 2280 TI, Dirt Rally 2.0 in VR is absolutely awful to play. Dirt Rally 1.0 in VR, on the other hand, is playable with the right tweaks.

Regardless, you will likely enjoy the VR experience FAR FAR better in iRacing, AC, ACC, rF2, PC2, and/or RRE.

Note: Codies are often late to the party. Based on their track record, I do believe Codemasters will ultimately get DR2.0 running well in VR. I also believe these are the bare necessities to do that...
1. Get a BETA team that tests this stuff on real world equipment.
2. OPTIMIZE the VR to run on recommended system specs OR Kick SteamVR to the curb (although it does work ok with many of the above listed titles.).
3. Fix the stuttering/USB polling issue on PCs. (I have the following devices plugged in to separate USBs: Motion Platform, DD Wheel, handbrake, shifter, Rift S, headset/microphone, USB 3.0 key, USB hub, Mouse, and Keyboard. And, I am not about to pull random items out to run DR2.0)
4. Understand that the MOUSE is a required INPUT DEVICE for PC even in VR. If you have a menu on PC, you must make it mouse driven. (Otherwise the game seems like just another low budget console port).
5. Re-scale the spotters' arrows/numbers so they don't appear as tiny symbols on the screen, and
6. Drive iRacing, AC, ACC, rF2, PC2 and RRE in VIRTUAL REALITY WITH A WHEEL AND PEDALS to see what it will take to meet the current industry standards for physics/handling and VR with Dirt Rally 2.0..

There's a bit more to that story. Codies hired Oculus to do the VR part and you can buy the Oculus version of the game from the Oculus store and it runs great, but doesn't have any of the DLC and you can't race against people with the Steam version online. Apparently it's not easy to shoehorn the Oculus SDK into the game so it has to run through Steam VR and it's not well optimized and does not run well. There's a launch command you can add to the Steam version that supposedly makes it run better but still not as good as the Oculus version.

I too have just begun with the first Dirt Rally and I'm surprised at how much I enjoy it. Took awhile to get the FFB dialed in, I ended up with tire friction, wheel friction, and tire slip at zero, suspension and collision at 100, and I adjust the self-aligning torque based on each car but it's usually in the 40-50 range. I'm also playing in VR and getting good performance. I guess I've been exposed to VR long enough that it doesn't bother me anymore, I can rally for hours with no ill effects. One of the coolest experiences I've had in VR so far, that's for sure. I'll eventually get DR 2.0 but I'm waiting to see if they improve the performance of the Oculus on the Steam version.

There's a bit more to that story. Codies hired Oculus to do the VR part and you can buy the Oculus version of the game from the Oculus store and it runs great, but doesn't have any of the DLC and you can't race against people with the Steam version online. Apparently it's not easy to shoehorn the Oculus SDK into the game so it has to run through Steam VR and it's not well optimized and does not run well. There's a launch command you can add to the Steam version that supposedly makes it run better but still not as good as the Oculus version.

I too have just begun with the first Dirt Rally and I'm surprised at how much I enjoy it. Took awhile to get the FFB dialed in, I ended up with tire friction, wheel friction, and tire slip at zero, suspension and collision at 100, and I adjust the self-aligning torque based on each car but it's usually in the 40-50 range. I'm also playing in VR and getting good performance. I guess I've been exposed to VR long enough that it doesn't bother me anymore, I can rally for hours with no ill effects. One of the coolest experiences I've had in VR so far, that's for sure. I'll eventually get DR 2.0 but I'm waiting to see if they improve the performance of the Oculus on the Steam version.
Oculus SDK coming to dirt rally 2.0 in the next patch october 1st

I can SIM race in VR for hours. Except in Dirt... having a blast though. Still need to tune in the ffb properly as I can't get asphalt to feel decent. Doing my 60s career in the Alpine and boy is that car good! I get 90 fps locked and I think the problem is all the handbrake turns. Last sessions I did 3 full rallies before having to stop. Really fun game... although RBR is better I must say..

I can SIM race in VR for hours. Except in Dirt... having a blast though. Still need to tune in the ffb properly as I can't get asphalt to feel decent. Doing my 60s career in the Alpine and boy is that car good! I get 90 fps locked and I think the problem is all the handbrake turns. Last sessions I did 3 full rallies before having to stop. Really fun game... although RBR is better I must say..

Not sure you'll ever get it feeling decent on tarmac, this game is great on gravel/dirt/snow but it falls apart on tarmac. I think that's the #1 complaint with the game, I just stay away from tarmac stages if I can. Apparently 2.0 is a bit better on tarmac but still a bit wonky.

I've never tried RBR but was just looking into it recently and have all the links to get it up and running in VR so I'll have a go at it soon. Not being able to see the driver's hands/arms will probably be a deal-breaker though, I tried it in Dirt Rally to get proper steering animation and my brain was not having it. :sick:

Not sure you'll ever get it feeling decent on tarmac, this game is great on gravel/dirt/snow but it falls apart on tarmac. I think that's the #1 complaint with the game, I just stay away from tarmac stages if I can. Apparently 2.0 is a bit better on tarmac but still a bit wonky.

I've never tried RBR but was just looking into it recently and have all the links to get it up and running in VR so I'll have a go at it soon. Not being able to see the driver's hands/arms will probably be a deal-breaker though, I tried it in Dirt Rally to get proper steering animation and my brain was not having it. :sick:
I think some of the latest packs add interiors... don't quote me on it. I mean the game is good and as long as you don't look at the dash you are ok XD. It's rally school is amazing and the stages are way better than Dirt.

I know asphalt sucks but I haven't touched ffb yet. I am sure there is a way to make it suck a little bit less. I am running everything at 100% atm. No clipping though which is great.

I think some of the latest packs add interiors... don't quote me on it. I mean the game is good and as long as you don't look at the dash you are ok XD. It's rally school is amazing and the stages are way better than Dirt.

I know asphalt sucks but I haven't touched ffb yet. I am sure there is a way to make it suck a little bit less. I am running everything at 100% atm. No clipping though which is great.

I've only played the first game but never noticed any issue with the dashes in VR, but then I'm usually far too busy to notice anything other than the road. :laugh:

My FFB is much lower but when I'm on tarmac I crank everything up about 50% and it helps a bit.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 389 39.9%