• We are currently in the process of upgrading our forum software. During this period some parts of the site may be periodically unavailable.

Haas announce new title sponsor at 2021 livery launch

Charlie Lockwood

RaceDepartment Writer
Staff
Premium
Haas F1 Team has announced a new title sponsorship with Russian chemical company, Uralkali at its 2021 livery launch.
  • The team has launched the livery that is expected to feature on its VF-21 challenger this season.
  • With this the Uralkali Haas F1 Team duo Schumacher and Mazepin look set to race in white, red and blue.
  • The livery has drawn much debate amidst the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) announcing that it would be looking into the design.
The American team announced their title sponsorship agreement with Uralkali at the launch event for their new livery. Uralkali is a Russian chemicals company, headed up by Dmitry Mazepin, father of the team's 2021 driver Nikita Mazepin. The VF-21 itself will be first seen at preseason testing next week in Bahrain.

The new new colour scheme is a step away from the grey, red and black designs that fans have become accustomed to seeing on the Haas, with the exception of course being during Rich Energy's sponsorship of the team. The white, red and blue colours on this year's car reflect the colours of the Russian flag.

Speaking about the deal, team owner, Gene Haas seemed eager for Haas to move towards the front of the grid ahead of F1's new regulations coming into play from 2022:

“I’m very pleased to welcome Uralkali to Formula 1 as title partner to Haas F1 Team,” said team owner Gene Haas.
“We look forward to representing their brand throughout the season. It’s definitely a case of all change but I’m hoping that we get back to being in the mix for scoring some points at these races.
“It’s been a tough couple of seasons, but we’ve also got our eye on the bigger picture, in particular 2022 and the implementation of the new regulations.”

The striking new livery has however been called into question. A recent ruling by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), states that Russian athletes would be banned from competitive sport for a period of two years. This came after the WADA investigated claims of state-sponsored doping at the 2014 Winter Olympics hosted by Russia at Sochi.

This ruling requires athletes from Russia to participate as "neutral athletes". The Russian Automobile Federation (RAF) confirmed that the ruling does extend to FIA championships, meaning Mazepin cannot race under his national flag this season.

The significance in terms of the livery is that Russian athletes are also prohibited from using national emblems, flags or symbols on their equipment and clothing. As a car is likely to be considered a part of a driver's equipment, it calls into question whether a Russian driver racing a car featuring national colours will satisfy the CAS ruling.

While the matter is resolved, we can look forward to seeing the team's new car presented at testing next week, where it will be driven by both Mick Schumacher and Nikita Mazepin.

Haas Isometric.jpg

Attachments

• Cover.jpg
    Cover.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:

G_B

100RPM
The joys of sponsors and reality, Uralkali, well it's no better than the tobacco industry...

1614977772055.png

Daniel Monteiro

2000RPM
Staff
Premium
"I see a white car with red from Haas and blue from 1&1" :)

Money talks, especially in F1; I'm sure the lawyers involved have done their homework. F1 is a "dirty" business, and yes, tobacco in still involved in it if you dig enough.

So, what to do to stop this bad side of F1? Well it's very simple actually: we just have to stop watching, it's a choice we have to make as individuals :)

Last edited:

Hoksu

500RPM
Premium
I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how that livery would be allowed if Russian national flags are not allowed in their equipment. A car certainly is driver's equipment, and not only it features the Russian national colors but visually is basically Russian flag on four wheels. Though probably lawyers will come up with some argument that is utterly bizarrely illogical but still legally solid.

The design is pretty nice, better than the usual really meh Haas liveries.

Davide Nativo

Columnist for RaceDepartment
Staff
Premium
Something I don't get: if the doping investigation came about in 2014, and the ban for Russia to have national athletes compete under their country flag would last 2 years from then, why is it still being enforced?

Dave Hope

25RPM
Something I don't get: if the doping investigation came about in 2014, and the ban for Russia to have national athletes compete under their country flag would last 2 years from then, why is it still being enforced?
I believe the ban came into effect in December 2019 which was originally for 4 years but last year was reduced to 2years so it looks like they cannot use it until the end of the year.

Dave Hope

25RPM
This livery would look really cool as a 70's throwback thing with yellow, orange and red stripes I think. I like how clean it is and the logo placements and size. I'm not really a fan of flag liveries in general (I did say I liked the Alpine though). I imagine in the next few years Haas is going to sell to either Dmitry Mazepin or someone else. I cant see him wanting to continue to run like they are.

David Mann

100RPM
I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how that livery would be allowed if Russian national flags are not allowed in their equipment. A car certainly is driver's equipment, and not only it features the Russian national colors but visually is basically Russian flag on four wheels. Though probably lawyers will come up with some argument that is utterly bizarrely illogical but still legally solid.

American team, American flag colors, done. No?

davehenrie

500RPM

lmost totally off topic, but have you seen the flag of the City of Chigago? White background with a red strip and blue stars. Almost a copy of the Russian Naval Flag from a few years back. I like the livery, Especially when compared to the all black that came with that energy drink, but the original grey/red on white still appeals more to me.(there! back on topic!!)

Pappa_G_27

AU Racing Club Staff
Staff
Premium
If you ignore the Russian flag issues this is actually a fantastic livery. Some old school vibes with the diagonal block colours and that number placement... Mint!!!

This and the Alpine I think are the standouts. I don't mind the Aaron Martin livery either.

davehenrie

500RPM
If you ignore the Russian flag issues this is actually a fantastic livery. Some old school vibes with the diagonal block colours and that number placement... Mint!!!

This and the Alpine I think are the standouts. I don't mind the Aaron Martin livery either.
Not a HINT of Grello on the Aston....might as well still be pink....

Madhat

100RPM
Premium
Nikita Mazepin obviously brings lots of money to the team. He's a dirty driver that deserves no place in F1, or any other formula except maybe banger racing.