H-Pattern shifter - Left or Right?

I'm interested in getting my first H-pattern shifter. Being from the UK, it's more natural for me to have the shifter on the left.

I can tell from changing gears on manual cars with paddles, It would bother me having the shifter on the wrong side to match the car - especially with VR. For this reason I'm looking at the frex H and creating 2 mount positions on the rig.

Equally I would prefer a rigid shifter feel when banging through gears, and I'm not sure anything other than a proper multi-point bolt mount is going to offer that?

Are there any clever solutions, or does it not something that bothers most?

Cheers

The vast majority of sim cars seem to be left hand drive, so I've got mine on the right side of my rig to match. It didn't take much getting used to at all. (And no issues grabbing the door handle instead of the gearstick in my real car thankfully!)

Upvote 0
I am the same as my car as I drive on the left also but in my old multiplayer Maximum Tune days (2008 through 2009 and though it was not a sim), I had to drive with a RH shifter - I couldn't drive with autometic, not when I had three other players sitting next to me. It takes a lot to get used to - being underpowered compared to my opponents, I had to rely on the tactic of using as much bends as possible therefore, I had to rely on gears

Upvote 0
I have the same kind of brainworms as op where I'm noticeably bothered using grossly mismatched reaches/touches in VR. As such I keep my shifter on the right since most cars are left hand drive. I can't get into driving right handers because of this and I accept that.

The same neurosis inspired me to make a set of different length extensions from 1/2 - 5 inch in 1" increments for my SQ shifter and collect/make a set of replica knobs/shift guards of the cars I drive the most (Dirt Rally 2.0). Also have 2 different length handles for my handbrake. It also drove me to making a replica push/pull of the cars I'm driving with them, documented here https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/diy-push-pull-rally-shifter.199295/ :p

I've found it's not necessary to get it 100% accurate, that as long as I get it to at least rhyme my brain accepts it and fills in the rest of the details and it's glorious

Upvote 0
I would prefer a rigid shifter feel when banging through gears,
and I'm not sure anything other than a proper multi-point bolt mount is going to offer that?
Provided that it is clamped to something sturdy, a TH8A clamps rigidly enough.
A ClixBeetle equivalent and shorter shift lever are wanted IMO to improve shift feel,
along with a low-mass (e.g. cork) shift knob and acetal gate plate.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 348 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing