H Patern Shifter.

I am an old fart. I have never even been in a silly flappy paddle, or sequential car. I would not own one for long if it was given to me for free. I'd sell it and buy a real car with some of the money, lol. I'd like to know why I can't use my H Patern gear shifter on every car that I have. I have been told that it's because of "realism", but this is just silly. People are allowed to drive formular one cars with automatic gearboxes in most games, and no-one raises so much as a disaproving glance at that, but when I want to go the other way, people lose their S#!t over it. A 1960s car does not have a sequential gearbox, but people are allowed to drive it that way, and I think that they should be allowed to do so, because if they weren't, I'd be in a room by myself forever. I want to drive a 2020 GP car, with my eight speed shifter (if I use a button for reverse, which works well in other games), so why not? I don't want to be a mug, and try to force other people to conform to my odd wants, why must I conform with their oddities?

I'd love to be able to use my shifter in races (or free lappery practice for that matter) but the games I own don't seem to really have the 'wherewithall' for competitive clutch use, it could be that I'm just not that able to set up a sim car and wheel (G29*) fully, but being a mechanic of old I know my way around a real car, so that at least should go some way.
I've tried to use a H shifter on many occasions in GTR2 but I allways end up spinning out with a locked axle as there's just too little actual 'feel' that you associate with gear changing in real world driving.
Yes, you can go through the motions of gear changing quite precisely but as soon as you drop out of the zone it can unravell much more so than it real life.
I put this down to the 'all too often, plucked out of the air' baseline physics, harsh perhaps, but even Pirelli admit that they don't fully understand the round black things, so what chance does an enthuesiastic game programmer have.
However, were the programmers and users to find a good ballence I'd be in hoggs heaven...
The only thing we'd need to top it all off would be... a fully fledged Historics game, and AC might be the folks to be able to pull it off, not just one with a smattering of icons, but a thoroughly thought out and vairied race weekend like the Goodwood Revival/Members Meeting series of events, where we could pretend to be Jim Clark, or even ourselves and race against the likes of Chris Ward et all.

*admittedly it's not the worlds most solid shifter.

I'd love to be able to use my shifter in races (or free lappery practice for that matter) but the games I own don't seem to really have the 'wherewithall' for competitive clutch use, it could be that I'm just not that able to set up a sim car and wheel (G29*) fully, but being a mechanic of old I know my way around a real car, so that at least should go some way.
I've tried to use a H shifter on many occasions in GTR2 but I allways end up spinning out with a locked axle as there's just too little actual 'feel' that you associate with gear changing in real world driving.
Yes, you can go through the motions of gear changing quite precisely but as soon as you drop out of the zone it can unravell much more so than it real life.
I put this down to the 'all too often, plucked out of the air' baseline physics, harsh perhaps, but even Pirelli admit that they don't fully understand the round black things, so what chance does an enthuesiastic game programmer have.
However, were the programmers and users to find a good ballence I'd be in hoggs heaven...
The only thing we'd need to top it all off would be... a fully fledged Historics game, and AC might be the folks to be able to pull it off, not just one with a smattering of icons, but a thoroughly thought out and vairied race weekend like the Goodwood Revival/Members Meeting series of events, where we could pretend to be Jim Clark, or even ourselves and race against the likes of Chris Ward et all.

*admittedly it's not the worlds most solid shifter.
Can you imagine how cool it would be to have a clutch pedal that gave accurate force feedback simulating engagement, etc. Now that WOULD be a revolution in sim racing.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 106 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 147 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 279 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 407 40.0%