Gutierrez Set For Mercedes Formula E Test

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Gutierrez Merc FE Test.jpg

Former Sauber Formula One driver Esteban Gutierrez has been lined up for a test in the newly formed Mercedes Formula E team.

Having spent a little time over in the US during his absence from the Grand Prix grid - alongside his Mercedes AMG F1 simulation role, Gutierrez is set to return to top level open wheel racing during a four day test session with the new Mercedes Formula E outfit.

Scheduled to run at a small racing facility in Mallorca, the Mexican will be joined by fellow Mercedes backed drivers Edoardo Mortara and Stoffel Vandoorne, currently racing for the Venturi and HWA squads respectively.

Of course seat time in Formula E will be nothing new for the 27-year-old, with Gutierrez having previously taken part in three Formula E races for the Techeetah squad during the 2016/17 season.

With Mercedes still firmly in the testing phase ahead of their series debut next season, the full roster of drivers have yet to be revealed. As well as Gutierrez, former DTM champion and 2018/19 Formula E driver Gary Parfett remains under contract to the German squad, as does fellow HWA driver and former McLaren Formula One star Stoffel Vandoorne.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

I have nothing against Formula-E, I even forced myself to watch 2 races which are free to watch on youtube, but I find that I don't particularly enjoy the series. And if my last watch of Formula E contents are still true, I thought Toto's wife will be the team principal of their Formula E team? And if my memory still serves me well, I also remember Toto is so into it when there was discussions of running three cars per team in F1.

Too much side tracking, all I want to say is why not outright start a Mercedes "B" team in F1? Let the youngsters have a crack a it! Red Bull did so with Toro Rosso, and Merc seems to have enough cash based on Toto's comment, I thinks it's totally doable. Entering Formula-E is not a bad thing. I just thought there are more eyes on F1 and they could use the second team to run sponsors wanting to be on spotlight... If merc will still dominate F1 in the coming years... Imagine, Merc 1-2-3-4 finishes in F1... LOL!

JK Cheers!

I have nothing against Formula-E, I even forced myself to watch 2 races which are free to watch on youtube, but I find that I don't particularly enjoy the series. And if my last watch of Formula E contents are still true, I thought Toto's wife will be the team principal of their Formula E team? And if my memory still serves me well, I also remember Toto is so into it when there was discussions of running three cars per team in F1.

Too much side tracking, all I want to say is why not outright start a Mercedes "B" team in F1? Let the youngsters have a crack a it! Red Bull did so with Toro Rosso, and Merc seems to have enough cash based on Toto's comment, I thinks it's totally doable. Entering Formula-E is not a bad thing. I just thought there are more eyes on F1 and they could use the second team to run sponsors wanting to be on spotlight... If merc will still dominate F1 in the coming years... Imagine, Merc 1-2-3-4 finishes in F1... LOL!

JK Cheers!
Could do it under HWA AG

After forcing myself to watch the Rome round of 'Formula E' I decided no more. If it employs drivers such as Gutierrez that's fine, at least they get to drive in a race series. However, a company such as Mercedes Benz participating in a supposedly 'Green' series is hypocritical, considering their continued production and sale of over sized, over powered and over priced hydrocarbon burning vehicles.
:poop:

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 70 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 139 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 265 27.7%