Guides to help setup steering?

I can't seem to get 1:1 steering on my Accuforce. I want to turn my wheel 45 degrees and my in game wheel turn 45 degrees.
It seems like every couple years I come back and try to get it setup and give up and hope when I come back next time it will be easier. Any guides on this?

set your windows control panel to 900°
Inside rF2, Choose the Vehicle set option on the control page.
Put the steering sensitivity slider to dead center. which is 50% on the old UI and 100% on the new UI.
Not sure this will work with every wheel, but it should.

This worked on my Accuforce and now my OSW simucube, you need to edit a few lines and set the same default rotation in Sim Commander.
Quote from https://www.studio-397.com/2018/11/roadmap-update-november-2018/
Software Wheel Rotation Explained

We have added the option to set the maximum rotation of the steering wheel “in software”, so we can adjust the rotation per car even for wheels that don’t support setting the rotation in their driver. This means that current owners of various OSW and SimSteering wheels can now finally enjoy the correct rotation without having to manually set it outside of rFactor 2. The system works as follows: In order to use this new system, you have to explicitly turn it on in your Controller.JSON file (which you can find in your UserData\player folder). The line you’re looking for is called “Steering Wheel Software Rotation,” and if you don’t see it yet, please make sure you have updated to build 1112, run the game once and exit it again. The line defaults to “false,” and you should change that to “true”. The next step is to go into your wheel driver and the rotation to the maximum value it supports, up to the maximum rotation of 1440 degrees that rFactor 2 supports. Then you go back to your Controller.JSON and set the “Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation Default” to the same number of degrees you just configured. If your wheel actually does support us reading the maximum rotation, you can alternatively set “Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation from Driver” to “true” so we will read whatever you set from the driver. We do recommend setting it to the maximum value in the driver, as we can only make the rotation less in software, not more. Finally we have a value called “Steering Wheel Bump Stop Harshness,” which acts like a spring constant and defines how harsh the buildup of counter-torque will be when you go over the maximum rotation for a car. We recommend starting with a value of somewhere between 20 (soft) to 50 (harsh), but this really depends on your wheel and personal preference. For SimSteering and OSW, we added some profiles to our default set as well. You might want to give those a try as they are already setup for this new feature.

In summary, these are the new parameters in the Controller.JSON:

• Steering Wheel Software Rotation – Defaults to false, but must be set to true to enable this feature. When it is set to false, this feature should be fully disabled.
  • Steering Wheel Bump Stop Harshness – A configurable value ranging from 1.0 to 100.0, which acts like a spring constant that determines how much counter-torque will be applied if you steer beyond the maximum range.
  • Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation from Driver – Whether we should attempt to fetch the maximum steering wheel range from the wheel driver, assuming the driver supports this.
  • Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation Default – The value of our maximum steering wheel range when there isn’t a wheel driver available that we can read this from or when “Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation from Driver” is set to false. Values from 40 to 1440 are supported.

When you calibrate your wheel in rF2, are you using all the travel? Turn the wheel left until it stops and then hold it there. Click the left button. Same for right....alll the way and hold before clicking right.
Finally center the wheel and press center.
Make sure you don't have any dead space around the center. Some wheels build that in to make straight line steering easier.

Tried it again. Deleted the JSON started all over again and still can't make it 1:1. Maybe rfactor2 cannot do 1:1 steering?

So a big thanks to you for trying to help me but I give up. Luckily it was before I spent money on some DLC for the Steam Summer sale.

Maybe rfactor2 cannot do 1:1 steering?
It sure can, as i said on my previous message I had this working with an Accuforce and now on a Simucube. 1:1 steering with zero problem.

Make sure you edit the proper json file. You can find the default profiles files for different wheels in the Controller folder (in user data), but the one active is in the player folder (again in user data folder).

If you edit a json in the controller folder you need to reload that profile in game, if you edit the controllerJSON in player folder it will be loaded when you start the sim.

I agree that it should be easier to set this up, but it sure is possible to make it work with your Accuforce.

You can also try their forums for help or/and their official Discord

I appreciate all the replies.

I posted on S397 Technical Support forum but I decided to throw in towel and deleted the game altogether. Seems silly to have to do that much to get the steering to work properly. I will try it again in a year or two and maybe they will have it fixed.

I guess fixed is the wrong word, maybe less complicated or something.

Would running the beta version have anything to do with it? I will reinstall and not use the beta this time. The only reason I ran beta was for VR.

I have a Simucube with same issue, could not get the thing to line up 1:1 as well. I tried all these things here and what did it for me was changing Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation Default set to 900 as it was at 1440.

I thought wow it was solved and went to try an F1 car at Monaco I changed the steering lock in the game to get around lowes and the 1:1 was gone again.

So I rechecked the controller.json and it was fine, went back into the game and checked everything and I found that steering help somehow was set to low. This was the problem this time.

Its so frustrating and time consuming starting up the game and checking stuff and then trying different settings and restarting or reloading. After around a week of trying things, I seem to have it sorted and the FFB is much better than anything I have ever felt before, I just want to drive and not have to mess with controller settings, but it makes me wonder if I have it dialed in properly what I may be missing.

Just an update that I have it working. I wish I knew exactly what worked but I uninstalled and reinstalled and did everything as instructed before I opted into beta so I could use VR.

Thanks for the replies with help. I do think they need to make it easier or more efficient. I almost gave up and now know I would have missed some of the great new content.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back