Guardrail jaggy shimmer swimming graphic anomaly

This game is fantastic but the only really complaint I have is the psychedelic swimming anomaly on the guardrails.
Its visually in other places too but the guardrails are the most distracting and annoying; especially in VR.
Most noticeable when moving obviously.

Is there any fix for this?
Nothing I've tried in the dozens of settings all over the place (Content Manager, AC, SteamVR, etc) seems to help.
Thanks in advance.
assetto corsa guardrail jaggies.jpg

real supersample anti-aliasing is the only fix, none of the "optimized" fxaa/msaa/whatever do anything with that.

Yeah, you speak the truth. A few hours after posting, I figured why not try forcing stupid, really high anti-aliasing settings through nVidia Inspector.

It worked! The shimmering was BARELY still there, which was fantastic, BUT the frame rate was an unplayable mess at 25fps and pegging the reprojection in the red the whole time.

If I had an RTX3080 it might be doable but not gonna happen on my 1080ti.

• Deleted member 197115

Few things you can do to alleviate this.
1) Set AF to x16 in NVidia and disable in game
2) Enable MFAA in Nvidia
3) Set Texture Filtering to High Quality in NVidia
4) Set MSAA x 4 in game. With MFAA enabled it will give you MFAAx8, not as great as MSAAx8, but not taxing like one either.
5) Set SteamVR Supersampling as high as your system allows without dropping below fps target.

Higher resolution HMDs like G2 REALLY help cleaning image up. The difference is quite shocking.
Seems like AC needs high res output to look its best, suspect because of not very hot AA implementation.

Hmmm...I'm trying to use nVidia Inspector to force different AA setting but it turns out nothing I do or try allows NI to truly change or enhance the game. Its the CM(game menu) settings that is only working.
This is in VR btw.

Can someone confirm NI can properly force various AA settings in Assetto Corsa?

Last edited:
NI can't force custom MSAA modes in DX11 (like 8xS [4xMSAA + 2x1 SS] etc)

You can though add Transparent AA (TRAA), either with NI or Nvidia CP.

It helps with the barrier moiré as the horizontal gaps in the barriers are a transparent part of the texture and are not going to be affected by MSAA/Edge AA, which causes the shimmering/moiré pattern.

I'm using 2x TRAA in VR. Helps but does not get rid of the problem entirely in AC in VR on Rift S due to the resolution. (4x only drops perf more for no noticeable improvement)

4x TRAA works fine in pancake.

Applicable to iRacing/RF2/AMS2 also (iRacing - Watkins Glen blue barriers at T1 are a good test).

Last edited:
Thank you for verifying; Antialiasing - Transparency is the only thing I can force in AC also.

In the Reverb, it looks pretty darn good at 8xSGSS but the fps goes from my usual 75 to 27, lol. Lesser TRAA setting don't visually improve much.

Depending on your facial structure and headset you use, you may be able to lower the visible FOV in your HMD settings without seeing any additional black borders. I do this in SteamVR for my Index. It still renders the image with the same number of pixels so its essentially additional supersampling.

Combining that with foveated rendering to reduce frametimes, I'm able to bump up supersampling even more. While it doesn't totally solve the armco aliasing it does help it quite a bit.

Something else that helps immensley is adjusting the time of day in the SOL planner app. Midday is pretty much the worst time for Armco aliasing.

uncheck: content manager - custom shaders patch - graphics adjustments - "LOD Settings:" "force low-res cockpits for other cars in first person view" &
"force low-res drivers for other cars in first person view"

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    222.4 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
"Mip LOD bias: 0 (The most important setting for me in this table. By leaving it at 0 we avoid many artifacts. Clamp too in NVCPL)"

Last edited:
This game is fantastic but the only really complaint I have is the psychedelic swimming anomaly on the guardrails.
Its visually in other places too but the guardrails are the most distracting and annoying; especially in VR.
Most noticeable when moving obviously.

Is there any fix for this?
Nothing I've tried in the dozens of settings all over the place (Content Manager, AC, SteamVR, etc) seems to help.
Thanks in advance.
View attachment 422767

today i found to have more beautiful fence in my simrig AC, in Custom Shaders Patch 0.1.79 General Settings, disable "Use newer DDS loader". For me it's work fine, sorry for delay !

Some of the solution like MF do not work in VR and are maybe only burning performance. Best is to test them out and if not seeing any real improvements ask yourself; why use them?
I did write a short explanation for the search of the best settings at https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/assetto-corsa-pc-mods-general-discussion.307899/page-4169
edit: Just scroll to the bottom, to my posting, or use RasmusP posting, thanks @RasmusP for noticing.

In my case the use of Nvidia-VSR in CM was btw the eye opener, for a nearly shimmer and jagged free AC at a decent FPS. Only keep in your mind, some of the mods are simply bad made and will always be troublesome whatever settings you use.

Last edited:
Some of the solution like MF do not work in VR and are maybe only burning performance. Best is to test them out and if not seeing any real improvements ask yourself; why use them?
I did write a short explanation for the search of the best settings at https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/assetto-corsa-pc-mods-general-discussion.307899/page-4169

In my case the use of Nvidia-VSR in CM was btw the eye opener, for a nearly shimmer and jagged free AC at a decent FPS. Only keep in your mind, some of the mods are simply bad made and will always be troublesome whatever settings you use.
Maybe you could link your actual post :p
I scrolled through so many completely unrelated posts, that I started wondering, if you linked the wrong page.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 98 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 176 14.0%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 492 39.2%