GTX770 and Assetto Corsa ?

Is someone running the Tech Demo with the GTX 770 graphics card ?

I'm planning of upgrading my actual PC: i7 2600K 3.40GHz + HD6970 2GB.

Will the GTX770 4GB be a good replacement for my HD6970 ?

I'm running triple screen 3x1920x1080 (minus bezels)

Got my beady eye on one of them too. They look to be excellent value, and will hopefully prove man enough to drive the game at decent framerates through the oculus rift.

I don't think the Rift needs much power at all considering the resolution.

But hopefully the commercial Oculus product that arrives will require a bit more graphical grunt :D

Excellent value though, eeek, £300 haha!

I still run an old GTX275 here which seems to get through most games at 1920x1200 resolution ok with most details on high etc...

I think you only really need the fill rates of these mega cards for mega resolutions more?

Dave

According to the devs the Rift will require a decent amount of processing power. You will need 60 frames with Vsync on (cause tearing will be a horible experience with the rift) And you need to be able to run that in stereo stropic 3D. And since its running at lower resolutions you need some AA for the jaggies aswell. All of that combined does require quite a beefy PC to run fluidly

That's weird. I thought AA/AF had been part of DX since the early 00's?

At least I remember tinkering with AA settings back in CMR2 on our 21" CRT monitors haha...

I'm no DX10/11 expert but surely that is just missing from the tech demo probably due to un-finished shader builds?

Dave

That's weird. I thought AA/AF had been part of DX since the early 00's?

At least I remember tinkering with AA settings back in CMR2 on our 21" CRT monitors haha...

I'm no DX10/11 expert but surely that is just missing from the tech demo probably due to un-finished shader builds?

Dave

not post processing AA ... like the FXAA or how it is called is... that is "relatively new"... but if I remember right it was already available in arma2 and arma2 wasn't a dx11 game was it?? :D

I'm not sure on all the approaches. I'd have thought a full screen shader is programmable in dx10 vs dx11, possibly just driver optimisations in dx11 to make it easier to implement and faster fps etc?

I'm sure KS will implement a feature almost as good for dx10 but why bother at this stage when shading environment is changing.

They'll just do it all at the end I'd guess?!

Dave

So in other words....its almost useles to use them both?....if so that will easy up my PC if i turn off one of them :D

No it's not useless but as with all image enhancing techiques it puts more load on the computer. The difference is in how it calculates the effect, more power - better quality in short.
On the other hand you do need them turned on, at least to some extent, to get better picture quality but one has to balance that against how powerful your computer is...:)

Edit:

Here is some information, copied it from a techforum so it's not my writing but a good explanation nevertheless.

"FSAA (full screen) is probably the easiest to understand: If your resolution is 1920x1080 then it will take a 3840x2160 image (for example) and downsize back to 1920x1080 which smooths out the image and the edges. As you can imagine this takes a huge toll on the GPU as it has to render many more times the pixels and so is not widely used any more.

MSAA is an optimization of FSAA where multiple pixels are sampled together rather than each individual pixel in the case of FSAA. MSAA greatly reduces jagged lines and comes at a much lower performance cost than FSAA.

FXAA is something different as it is a post-processing AA, meaning it applies a smoothing effect after the image is already rendered. Hence this comes at a pretty much zero performance cost as it doesn't require the sampling of any pixels. However the image quality is far below MSAA/FSAA as basically all you're getting is blurring to hide the jaggies.

If your setup is powerful enough then I'd say MSAA is essential and FXAA is not a replacement. You can also have both turned on as they're not in conflict with each other, but some people dislike FXAA especially in shooting games like BF3 because it makes small objects more blurred (not helpful when you're trying to shoot someone from a distance). In BF3 MSAA is called "Antialiasing Deferred" and FXAA is "Antialiasing Post". I'd say turn up MSAA to the maximum level while still maintaining an acceptable framerate then turn on FXAA if you like the effect (FXAA has minimal performance impact)."

Interesting.. dont know why i didnt bother to undrestand this process before.Now i get it.
If someone has a NASA PC then all his its not interesting for him...maxing out the settings in a game.But with an average PC,this is very useful to know and understand.:thumbsup:

Is someone running the Tech Demo with the GTX 770 graphics card ?

I'm planning of upgrading my actual PC: i7 2600K 3.40GHz + HD6970 2GB.

Will the GTX770 4GB be a good replacement for my HD6970 ?

I'm running triple screen 3x1920x1080 (minus bezels)

For your info my rig:
i7 930 stock 2.8
6gb triple chan 1600
Gigabyte GTX770 OC Windforce3 4gb

AC settings.
1920x1080 60hz
8x AF
8x AA
0x FA
High Shadows
HDR Enabled
High cubemap
6 Faces per frame

= a solid 70+fps in the tech demo

Hope this info helps. I upgraded from 4870s so the perfomance jump has been immense, not to mention the benefit of DX11 eye candy, however if I was you, I would probably see how the 6970 works out on the full game before going down a new GPU route.

Interesting.. dont know why i didnt bother to undrestand this process before.Now i get it.
If someone has a NASA PC then all his its not interesting for him...maxing out the settings in a game.But with an average PC,this is very useful to know and understand.:thumbsup:

MSAA isn't that heavy on a GPU.

The biggest cost will be special pixel shaders on actual materials, but even then they should have a throttle on how nice they might want to be.

Needless to say there is very little an old GTX275 won't be able to cope with in AC. Agree'd it won't run it in super whizz bang all the settings on, but from what I've seen on the videos there isn't anything super special going on. It's just well made textures, well lit on well made meshes.

You won't really need a super fancy graphics card to enjoy AC looking pretty good imo. Developers know PC owners have some pretty fancy hardware, but plenty don't. To make a game un-playable without £200+ GPU's would be pretty silly from a business pov.

Dave

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 336 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing