DiRT Rally [GTX760] Cannot get an average of 60 fps, even on medium preset

Hey guys!

Bought the game yesterday and I absolutely love it. Been waiting for a decent rally sim for years, since WRC has been kind of disappointing and the original DiRT-series isn't really my cup of tea.

Anyway, I've been fiddling around with the graphics settings and it seems like I cannot reach an average of 60fps. It doesn't matter what preset I got (auto sets it on High), it doesn't matter what multisampling rate it's on, and the vsync wont help either. What am I doing wrong?

Specs:
i5-760 quad core 3,5ghz (OC, load temp <59c)
12gb ram 1600mhz
Asus GTX760 2gb

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention that I play on a 46" Sharp tv.

Hey guys!

Bought the game yesterday and I absolutely love it. Been waiting for a decent rally sim for years, since WRC has been kind of disappointing and the original DiRT-series isn't really my cup of tea.

Anyway, I've been fiddling around with the graphics settings and it seems like I cannot reach an average of 60fps. It doesn't matter what preset I got (auto sets it on High), it doesn't matter what multisampling rate it's on, and the vsync wont help either. What am I doing wrong?

Specs:
i5-760 quad core 3,5ghz (OC, load temp <59c)
12gb ram 1600mhz
Asus GTX760 2gb

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention that I play on a 46" Sharp tv.

Ok, so I tried turning down crowd, cloth, car reflection and car details. With vsync off I got an average of 40fps (max 53, min 31), which is about what I've been getting all the time. I also tried with vsync on and got the exact same result.

It feels as if there is a cap which prohibits it from going higher. I really have no idea what's going on. In Assetto Corsa I get constant 60fps with almost all settings on High or Ultra.

EDIT: Ok, so I benchmarked on Ultra Low and got an average of 60fps. Then I benched on Medium again and got an average of ~48 fps. This can't be right, right? I'm not supposed to play on ultra low with my GTX760, am I?

EDIT2: So here's a strange thing. Instead of using the games built-in benchmark test, I just turned on nvidias FPS counter and had that on while driving a track. I had vsync on and 16xCSAA and I got a range between 50-90fps. I'm not really sure what to make of this, so if anybody can guide me to a decent fps counter or any type of analysis tool I'd be glad.

Last edited:
i have a pc specs almost as yours and i get 50-70 on high settings (some on low, like the car reflections) and i have triple screens not full screen.

Ok, so I tried turning down crowd, cloth, car reflection and car details. With vsync off I got an average of 40fps (max 53, min 31), which is about what I've been getting all the time. I also tried with vsync on and got the exact same result.

It feels as if there is a cap which prohibits it from going higher. I really have no idea what's going on. In Assetto Corsa I get constant 60fps with almost all settings on High or Ultra.

EDIT: Ok, so I benchmarked on Ultra Low and got an average of 60fps. Then I benched on Medium again and got an average of ~48 fps. This can't be right, right? I'm not supposed to play on ultra low with my GTX760, am I?

EDIT2: So here's a strange thing. Instead of using the games built-in benchmark test, I just turned on nvidias FPS counter and had that on while driving a track. I had vsync on and 16xCSAA and I got a range between 50-90fps. I'm not really sure what to make of this, so if anybody can guide me to a decent fps counter or any type of analysis tool I'd be glad.
Steam have their own fps counter.

Ok, so here is what I did. I used Steams own FPS counter. I turned on adaptable Vsync in the Dirt Rally settings in Nvidia controlpanel. In game settings I turned down reflections, ambient occlusion, and some more stuff, I had some other stuff on ultra and the multisampling was on 8xCSAAm but overall it was equivalent of High quality.

These settings gave me extremely varied results based on what is appearing on the track. Example, on Monte Carlo using the bumper view I could have 60fps from the start and a fem hundred meters on, but when ice and snow appears on the road FPS drastically drops to ~40 fps and then up again. I don't see any tearing, but there is of course a notable difference which has an even greater negative effect when occurring right before a corner.

So is anyone else experiencing these framerate drops?

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 80 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 314 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 446 39.4%