gtr2 vs ams1

• Thread starter Deleted member 13397
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 13397

• Deleted member 13397

could somebody point me out the major features of AMS1 in compare of rf1gtl//gtr2/r07
i dont want to start a flame war, just thinking of migrating to another platform

things which i already found out is
GFX:
more shaders
dirt build up

physics:
Turbo
flatespots
limited tire sets
better blue flags
live track (track usage)
FFB (enchanced)
upscaled physics

does not have :
rain ?
night ?
wipers
movable parts?

With the steam sale on why not have both.
I keep 3 GTR2 installs for my favourite mods Race 07, GTL and AMS1 as, best of all worlds.
If you're into open wheelers then AMS is superb, in fact all their cars are really well done and are great to drive.
The AI is very good, better than the others even with the AI mods, and online is stable.
Of course I can't resist mentioning that GTR2 had no wipers:)
Unless storage is a problem no need to ditch old favourites. (I also tell my wife that:D)

could somebody point me out the major features of AMS1 in compare of rf1gtl//gtr2/r07
i dont want to start a flame war, just thinking of migrating to another platform

things which i already found out is
GFX:
more shaders
dirt build up

physics:
Turbo
flatespots
limited tire sets
better blue flags
live track (track usage)
FFB (enchanced)
upscaled physics

does not have :
rain ?
night ?
wipers
movable parts?

AMS is simply the latest and best refinement of the original rF engine that all of the titles are based upon. Well worth the price, even if not on sale...if you want the latest evolution in that family of sims.

• Deleted member 13397

@Kenny Paton
i must admit driving open wheeler in AMS really good, i think it have something to do with the superb FFB (T500), but even the Lancer is fun to drive

@Marc Collins
yes, i own all games for sim racing (except PC2), but the cars i use, are only made for GTR2 / R07
so, the question for me is, is it worth, converting them to AMS

@Salvatore Sirignano
yes, overtaking/slipstream is a big point (have to check this)

to add some further points i found:

spotter (better this one then none)
safety car (vs R07)

added more audio occurrences

There might be differences between the core physics in GTR2 and later SimBin titles, I don't know if they added things themselves or got a later version from ISI at some point.

Versus GTR2 we have a few more things:
- separate lateral / longitudinal load sensitivity (added in rF1)
- better tire combined force model (added in GSC)
- far better self alligning torque physics (added in AMS)
- engine torque demand maps (added in AMS)
- unsprung inertia bug fixed (added in GSC)
- up to 6 controllers instead of 3 (added in AMS)
- all the ones I forgot about..

This is both not so complicated but also quite confusing..

The weight and inertia values you enter in the HDV file are for the entire car. However there is more than one mass, because we have the main car body and 4 corners worth of unsprung mass (tire, wheel,spindle).
If you enter the total values and the individual unsprung mass and inertia values, you can find the mass and inertia of the main car body by subtracting the unsprung from the total.

They do this by figuring out what the inertia of the tire/wheel/spindle is relative to the center of gravity of the main car body. If the front left tire in a top view is 2 meters away from the car CG and one corner worth of unsprung weight is 35kg, then the yaw inertia this one wheel has around the car CG is 35 * 2^2 = 140. Do this for all wheels and spindles and you a value of 560. Say you entered a mass of 1000kg and a yaw inertia of 1500 in the HDV. Now the game knows 560 inertia is from the unsprung bits and that means 940 is from the car body. The main car body mass becomes 1000 - (35*4) = 860. There, each body is defined, physics will make sense!

In, probably, all rFactor derived sims, most likely up to the Superleague game which came out in ummm 200x, this 'working back the inertias' code has an error in it. It calculates the unsprung inertias by doing mass * distance, instead of mass * distance * distance.

Lets do it the old (pre Superleague way) and new (post Superleague game) way:
RF1: Car body yaw inertia = 1500 - (35*2*4 corners) = 1220
AMS: Car yaw body inertia = 1500 - (35 * 2^2 * 4 corners) = 940

I.e. in rF1 and other older versions of the code, the effective total yaw inertia of the car is too great, and the car will turn a bit more sluggishly than it should, provided the distance from the main body CG to the unsprung masses is greater than 1.

This also means in roll, where if your track widths are typically 1.5 meters, the distance to the CG is 0.75 meters and the error goes the other way. Say roll inertia in the HDV is 100
RF1: Car body roll inertia = 100 - (35*0.75*4) = -5
AMS: Car body roll inetia = 100 - (35 * 0.75^2 *4) = 21

RF1 will crash as it will try to apply 100 - 105 = -5 worth of inertia to the main car body
AMS will work as expected and there is 100 - 79 = 21 left for the main car body.

This is quite important when making karts or worse, scale model cars as this incorrect compensation error can lead to the game crashing or behaving oddly.

HOpe that makes some sense, I spent way too long trying to explain it! :)

Last edited:
Hobestly, I'd get both. If you're new then I'd see about getting GTR2 for very cheap like $5 or something. Then update it with the GTR2 anniversary patch which has all sorts of graphical updates, different sets of physics for the cars (original + 2 more), possible sound updates (not sure but you can easily download these later), A.I. updates, etc. There's a driving school mode (could be way better but still fun and helpful), changing weather conditions, full racing series (FIA GT1, GT2, etc.) all contributing to make a very immersive and enjoyable experience especially if you're looking for a full racing series feel.

AMS has more realistic FFB and easier to set up (most people don't tinker with AMS FFB files unlike GTR2), better AI, a less scripted feeling track rubbering in, true triple-screen support (triple independent viewports like RF1 but sadly not GTL, GTR2, Race 07), more depth to the shifting modelling for some cars (eg. old h-shifter cars), car and track lists with much more variety to them, etc.

The car and track list for either game may not be a huge deal for some due to being able to easily download mods.

If you're not big on adding more cars or tracks via mods then get GTR2 if you're looking for that immersive full racing series championship weekend/season feel or get AMS if you're looking for a variety of types of cars and tracks. Or get both :)

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 143 13.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 105 10.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 97 9.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 75 7.1%
  • < 5 years