GTR2, Steam version or not?

Hi all,
i have both version and i noticed the following :
Steam version on same track and same car has double fps .
"normal" version gives some litle stutters in curves, Steam is without any stutters.
Some mods installed on Steam version make the pc crash or freeze so you cant even get to the track. but those mods work well on "normal" version.
All this on win10.

Am i missing something? is there something wrong between both version ?

Hi all,
i have both version and i noticed the following :
Steam version on same track and same car has double fps .
"normal" version gives some litle stutters in curves, Steam is without any stutters.
Some mods installed on Steam version make the pc crash or freeze so you cant even get to the track. but those mods work well on "normal" version.
All this on win10.

Am i missing something? is there something wrong between both version ?
Do you run CC plugin with the Steam version? If you do, that might explain the FPS increase, because CC plugin sets affinity settings that boost the FPS. You could do the same with "Normal" version, but you would need to use additional programs.

Steam and Normal are very different versions, but the only downside of Steam one I am aware of (assuming you are using CC plugin, which has flickering fix) is that Steam one does not support XD.

That said it is possible that some mod will crash with one .exe and not with another. Could you tell me what mod is it, just curious?

Last edited:
I start from a Steam install since it's the only GTR2 I have and then I patch with the EXEs from Anniversary Patch or HQ Mods Collection so I'm not sure if you'd still call this a Steam install or not?

Guess I should hop on board this CC thing lol

Ah good to know. That's what I had thought.

I really appreciate the effort that went into that CMD file but it really conflicts with how I use mods in combo with ovgme so I just drop in the anni mod, apply some HQ mods, make some tweaks like ffb and seat position limits, etc., and zip it up for ovgme.

To be honest, I wonder if it doesn't deter new users to the mod as well who are totally used to zips and just drag&drop to install and now they have to run a file and step through all these text prompts, something they've never done before.

Do I have to understand that using CC and HQ Anniversary cannot work ?
There was a moment I could but the last time I tried ... there were problems making my PC crash and creating some problems in other softwares ?
I deleted this new install and had to create a new one ...

NB in fact I had 2 and the 2nd one was immediately deleted after the 1st problem.

I'm now using CC with Mucho's system ... and automatic @GTR233 wipers ... less problems and less difficulty ...
OK I miss some features of yours @The Iron Wolf ... but I don't know now any longer how to make them both work ( without having grey cars of course ).

If it can work, a full install explanation of both of you together in one single text is needed.
I don't take this risk any longer, I lost too much time the last time.

Last edited:
Ah good to know. That's what I had thought.

I really appreciate the effort that went into that CMD file but it really conflicts with how I use mods in combo with ovgme so I just drop in the anni mod, apply some HQ mods, make some tweaks like ffb and seat position limits, etc., and zip it up for ovgme.

To be honest, I wonder if it doesn't deter new users to the mod as well who are totally used to zips and just drag&drop to install and now they have to run a file and step through all these text prompts, something they've never done before.
one day someone who enjoys UI will build something like RBRPro for GTR2 (I am not that person though). Regarding the plugin check out the manual for my plugin at thecrewchief.org, and let me know if you have qustions.

But in the end I think all in all GTR2 is extremely flexible simulator... supporting anything from Karts to big Trucks... some complexity is simply unavoidable, especially because we all are shaping game into something it was not created for :)

Last edited:
Do I have to understand that using CC and HQ Anniversary cannot work ?
It does work, at least on my PC :) I've two drops of it one for Championships one for Driving School (because I need default physics there). The easiest way to make those work together is:

* Follow the Happy Path procedure from the manual
* Unpack HQ Anniversary patch into separate folder and delete all .exe and .dll files from it
* Now, copy HQ Anniversary patch onto the working drop.

Note: to fix Grey Cars issue, follow this guide: https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/GTR_2_-_FIA_GT_Racing_Game#Restore_removed_content
Save edited gtr2.exe for the future use.

That's all, really :)

Last edited:
@ Iron Wolf
i run CC on both version, the mod i tried so far is Porshe 911 turbo.
yeah, so that explains the higher FPS :) (CrewChief.dll does nothing for Normal GTR2, only Steam).

Sorry for asking the obvious - are you 100% sure that the same mod crashes with Steam .exe, and works on Normal? What plugin version are you running (see CrewChief.ini contents).

Last edited:
It does work, at least on my PC :) I've two drops of it one for Championships one for Driving School (because I need default physics there). The easiest way to make those work together is:

* Follow the Happy Path procedure from the manual
* Unpack HQ Anniversary patch into separate folder and delete all .exe and .dll files from it
* Now, copy HQ Anniversary patch onto the working drop.

That's all, really :)
Now the explanation is full for both .... I'll try once again later when I have more free time.
Moreover the HQ Anniversary has another newer version also ( last one ? :roflmao: )... so why not :D but last time before a long period without update at my side as it always need a full new install.

It should have worked but when CC worked ( following the Happy Path ) I had grey cars ... and when I didn't have grey cars ... CC didn't work or game didn't start as some need Admin rights and other not ... so being lost and have problems was absolutely normal.

Now the trick is fully explained :thumbsup: ( for the 1st time !! ) it should work. ( the problem was surely when choosing the wrong binaries in order to have CC and wipers working with buttons in the GTR2Setup.cmd )

Now the explanation is full for both .... I'll try once again later when I have more free time.
Moreover the HQ Anniversary has another newer version also ( last one ? :roflmao: )... so why not :D but last time before a long period without update at my side as it always need a full new install.

It should have worked but when CC worked ( following the Happy Path ) I had grey cars ... and when I didn't have grey cars ... CC didn't work or game didn't start as some need Admin rights and other not ... so being lost and have problems was absolutely normal.

Now the trick is fully explained :thumbsup: ( for the 1st time !! ) it should work. ( the problem was surely when choosing the wrong binaries in order to have CC and wipers working with buttons in the GTR2Setup.cmd )
Edited the steps to explain the Grey Car fix.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Steam is nothing less than the GTR2 digital version released on old Simbin RaceRoom website (no more related with new Sector3 RaceRoom) in 2009, then Steam released the same version later in 2012.
GTR2 HQ Anniversary Patch part2 (but you need part1 to use it) includes both binaries via GTR2_SETUP.CMD : you can select either DISC NOCD or DIGITAL (Steam like) and both are already 4gb/grey patched so no need to bother to hex edit anything.
You can even use CrewChief with both versions now as Bjarne told me this week (but you need an unofficial CrewChief plugin version and all features are not supported yet)

@Jempy : In last 15.5.0 I fixed RaceRoom binary install and changed name to GTR2 DIGITAL to be clear so it is 100% compatible with CrewChief now as I have added a script to copy the required files from CC app into your GTR2 install (crewchief.ini file is even included now).
Gtr2 clean install
HQ Ann. Patch part1+part2
Install CrewChief app (keep default install path !!!)
Run GTR2_SETUP.CMD :
Choose GTR2 DIGITAL binary (full CrewChief features contrary to nocd), and select CrewChief plugin.

Last edited:
Steam is nothing less than the GTR2 digital version released on old Simbin RaceRoom website (no more related with new Sector3 RaceRoom) in 2009, then Steam released the same version later in 2012.
GTR2 HQ Anniversary Patch part2 (but you need part1 to use it) includes both binaries via GTR2_SETUP.CMD : you can select either DISC NOCD or DIGITAL (Steam like) and both are already 4gb/grey patched so no need to bother to hex edit anything.
You can even use CrewChief with both versions now as Bjarne told me this week (but you need an unofficial CrewChief plugin version and all features are not supported yet)

@Jempy : In last 15.5.0 I fixed RaceRoom binary install and changed name to GTR2 DIGITAL to be clear so it is 100% compatible with CrewChief now as I have added a script to copy the required files from CC app into your GTR2 install (crewchief.ini file is even included now).
Gtr2 clean install
HQ Ann. Patch part1+part2
Run GTR2_SETUP.CMD :
Choose GTR2 DIGITAL binary (full CrewChief features contrary to nocd), and select CrewChief plugin.
Nice write up, Paul :) That's another way to do it - but to add my part:

After those steps above one must follow CC plugin Happy Path procedure explained in the manual, to correctly configure .exe's and drop CrewChief.ini file that contains startup fixes, otherwise, game won't start, sometimes.

Last edited:
Crewchief.ini is included in my setup when you select CrewChief plugin, and script will copy PLUGINS folder too from CC app (but people MUST KEEP DEFAULT INSTALL PATH for CrewChief app otherwise my script won't be able to find the folder) to GTR2 folder, it is automatic now.

Crewchief.ini is included in my setup when you select CrewChief plugin, and script will copy PLUGINS folder too from CC app (but people MUST KEEP DEFAULT INSTALL PATH for CrewChief app otherwise my script won't be able to find the folder) to GTR2 folder, it is automatic now.
Good, I'll let you know if I add other critical fixes. Note that there's one last risk is that people will lose their CrewChief.ini settings if they had that previously.

And, even with .ini, GTR2Config (only) needs to be onfigured to run as Admin. I think that can be scripted though.

So yeah, whoever wants to use GTR233 method of using CC plugin with HQ Anniversary could follow his steps (note that it will overwrite CrewChief.ini if you had it), but as a last manual step make sure to set GTR2Config to run as Admin (and of course, run it before first GTR2 run and on every time video driver is updated).

Last edited:
Do you mean install it in C:/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ?
In this case no chance at my side and maybe for others ... mine is installed in D:/xxxxxxx ( and even the xxxx are different :D ) since I'm using CC for all sims ( AC - ACC - RRE - AMS and AMS2 + GTR2 now )

If I can change the crewchief.ini manually afterwards .... no problem then.
But will it still work ?

CrewChief app can be on any drive letter but always in program files default folder because I used %programfiles% command line in my script. Well not a big deal if it says that it doesn't find CrewChief : just copy files and plugins folder manually as The Iron Wolf wrote it in happy path ;)

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 155 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 293 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing