GTR2 Running poorly on new gaming rig

Specs:
AMD Sapphire RX 560 4GB (GPU/Mem clock @ 1300/1750)
8 GB Ram, DDR3
AMD FX 6350, 6 Cores @3.9 GHZ
Tried to use the 4gb patch, also the Set Affinity system

UPDATE: So the problem also applies to rFactor. Also, while the GPU usage is around 100%, the VRAM usage is at like 0.5 GB Ram. Kinda weird, isn't it?
Also CPU usage is extremely low at all cores.

Last edited:
Is an FX 6350 strong enough? --> Almost 40% slower than a 2700k https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-FX-6350-Six-Core-vs-Intel-Core-i7-2700K/m713vs1985

When you say Set Affinity how are you doing that?

Usually the problem is making GTR2 use all cores. I use Bill's Process Manager to do this automatically and the boost in frame rate is BIG.
I used the stock Windows Task Manager but I'll try yours and see if it works any better
PS: I should note I am using the Steam version

Last edited:
I mostly don't use this Steam version ... but could you check the properties of the gtr2.exe ?
especially in the "Compatibility" tab ....
- Is the "Run this program with administrator rights" well checked ?
- Is the "Compatibility mode" on Windows 7 or even XP ( Service Pack 2 ) specified and checked.

Did you run the "GTR2Config.exe" with admin rights ? and choosing DirectX9 as Shader Level ?

And if using Bill2's Process Manager ... did you launch it with Admin rights also, this is mostly necessary

In graphics settings the most demanding resources are SPECIAL EFFECTS and SHADOWS so turn them to HIGH and not FULL.
You can also set PIT CREW for your team only and not all cars.

UPDATE: So the problem also applies to rFactor. Also, while the GPU usage is around 100%, the VRAM usage is at like 0.5 GB Ram. Kinda weird, isn't it?
Also CPU usage is extremely low at all cores.

Also, while the GPU usage is around 100%, the VRAM usage is at like 0.5 GB Ram. Kinda weird, isn't it?

No. GTR2, GTL, rFactor don't have a high GPU Memory requirement unless you start using a lot of high quality textures.

My stock install of GTR2 with 60 cars at SPA (both in # of cars visible and # of cars on track) uses just over 500mb of VRAM. One of my custom installs of GTR2 which has various high quality game textures can use up to 1gb of VRAM depending on the mod and it's high quality car skins.

No. GTR2, GTL, rFactor don't have a high GPU Memory requirement unless you start using a lot of high quality textures.

My stock install of GTR2 with 60 cars at SPA (both in # of cars visible and # of cars on track) uses just over 500mb of VRAM. One of my custom installs of GTR2 which has various high quality game textures can use up to 1gb of VRAM depending on the mod and it's high quality car skins.
Yeah but the game still runs really slow, weird isn't it. It's like some hidden settings in the GPU conflict with the game

The more I think and the more I guess your problem is your CPU, as @Shovas already answered at 2d post.
Compared to my I5 4670k .... a good middle choice at the time ( and now outdated compared even with a newer I5 ) .... yours is 56% slower.

GTR2, rather much graphically modded with ENB Series + HDR + nearly Full graphical settings ( just shadows on high in place of full ) is running perfectly fine.

NB: GPU MSI GTX 1060 6GB OCV1 .... 1gb of VRAM used with the mentioned settings above, on same track and number of cars @Zipdrive gave as example 2 posts above.

Post a screen cap of GTR2 with MSI afterburner running. Use Spa with a 60 car NGT field and start at the back. Once the game finishes the grid walk and your moving take a screen cap (pressing F12). Then once the cars spread out a bit and your past the Start/Finish line take another one.

Make sure to set afterburner to display your FX CPU's individual 6 core usage, system memory, your video card info and the FPS.

Do you have built-in video card ? On some systems you need to specify which video card you use, by default the mainboard one has got poor specs compared to PCI-E graphics cards.

How run other games like AC/RRE/rf2 ? If they are affected too then you might be infected by a kind of mining malware which pumps all your resources : use Malwarebytes to check just in case

Yeah but the game still runs really slow, weird isn't it. It's like some hidden settings in the GPU conflict with the game

Could you be more precise, when saying it is slow .... what is slow exactly .... load times ? how many FPS do you get ?
Is your GTR2 not modded at all ? or modded ?

As you say it's the same with Rfactor, both run with DirectX9 ...
Could you launch your GTR2Config.exe with Admin rights and make a screenshot of your chosen settings before clicking OK

Jempy, right now were just guessing trying to help.

I installed GTR2 onto an old Q9550 (stock @ 2.8GHz) system with 4GB Ram and a GTX 1050 2GB card at 1080p and the frame rate was always over 60 FPS in cockpit view using the Spa example I mentioned above. Other than having higher single core performance with the Q9550, Madatek's system is faster all around and should have no trouble maintaining a steady 60 FPS. Especially if the game is forced to use more than one core.

I used RunAff and switched around the core settings and when using only 2 cores both their usage was over 70%. Actually closer to 80%. Switching to 3 cores resulted in a couple FPS more but the core usage went down on the later two. Using all 4 cores there was maybe a 1 or 2 FPS difference and only the first core would be in the 70% range, the other 3 never went above 40% usage. Sometimes core 3 and 4 would be in the 20's. I normally run GTR2 on the later 3 cores leaving core 1 for any background tasks. If Madatek has set Bill2's Processor Manager to use all 6 cores then naturally they would all show low usage.

For the video card I set the AA to level 4 via GTR2Config (The sun flickers badly when using AA in Nvidia CP for some reason on this system) and for all other graphical enhancements I used Nvidia Inspector. In game all settings were on High/Full with the exception of Headlights which I keep at medium.

Without more info on your game settings, video card AMD control panel settings, resolution. etc. it's pretty hard to guess your system setup Madatek.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 73 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 272 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 398 40.0%