GTR2/rFactor/rFactor2/GSCE/Automobilista

I posted here because I'm normally in R3E and alot of you guys are cross platform.

Do we have anyone that has experience with GTR2/rFactor/rFactor2/GSCE/SCE/Automobilista
What is the difference? I own GTR2 and rFactor (refund requested). I have demos for rF2 and GSCE. They all look and feel somewhat similar. GTR2/rF/rF2/GSCE
I haven't tried SCE or Automobilista.

I just want to get one of those (above) so I can track down mods to drive the most up to date (graphically) CART cars, V8Supercars, and TransAm series cars. I would prefer the 90's era for all series, but I'll take the most up to date graphics versions I can find. If that means I buy more of those sims....so be it.

Your advice would be appreciated.

In the early 2010s, I tried GSCE and I didn't see the point. It didn't offer anything better than
rFactor/GTR2.
Less mods too...
I think the lighting was a bit better...
Some people said the tyre model was better... Didn't feel a difference though.
I'm not an expert at all, but I read on many websites that basically, GSCE was a "heavily modded rFactor"?
rFactor 1 / GSCE had several important physics and AI improvements over GTR2 http://polinii.com/ptmu-history/

I finally tried rFactor 2, which I uninstalled 1 hour later.
Either it was a beta version or maybe something was wrong, but it felt really terrible, and graphics way worse than rFactor 1...
rFactor 2 has been out of beta since 2013 and it has massive graphical capability improvements over rFactor 1.

Also it has been developed since a decade and we don't see the end of it.
I think it'll be eventually abandoned.
rFactor 2's development started in 2009, only a year earlier than Assetto Corsa, yet rFactor 2 already contained all the essential simracing features for years and is the most complete (and working) moddable simracing platform, and most importantly, its physics engine works properly and is the most accurate when you enter real data, so it's not for nothing that most real race teams and pro simulation centers use rFactors.

rFactor 2 is a big evolution of rFactor 1 too. Is like Automobilista but made by ISI.
AMS / rF2 , are from the same engine so pretty solid , the difference AMS looks better rF2 drives better
They are not from the same engine http://imagespaceinc.com/software.php
There has been many years of core development between rF1/isiMotor2 and rF2/isiMotor2.5

The AI behavior of rF2 is many miles (multiple man-years by a experienced AI programmers) ahead and it shows. They behave much more competently and dynamic at race starts. They are able to move of their racing line to block, have much better spatial awareness. They can be aggressive, yet disciplined at the same time, and don't bump into you for no reason, they are much more human. They also adhere to blue flags. They also work much better with random car/track combinations, since they require much less babysitting for modders to get right.
The AI difference is night and day, it's not even close.
rF2 is the first time since a Crammond GP title where I deem the AI to be good.

rF2 also has a much more extensive plugin based rule system. You aren't gonna see a modern Nascar rule system in any other moddable sim platform.

rF2's tire model is fundamentally different. It's a physical thermomechanical tire model with a fully simulated tire thread, carcass and contact patch (this isn't just for show), see more here. It also simulates chassis flex (which is especially crucial for properly modeling historic cars, karts and trucks). It also has true physical flatspot modeling that affects the mass distribution of the tire. I'm pretty sure it won't be topped within this decade. All this makes for a much more dynamic driving experience.

rF2's wheel to wheel collisions are also much improved.

rF2's Real Road rubber built up is a true dynamic line based on where the cars actually drive and is not just based on a fixed AI path, same for the drying line in the wet.

rF2 has resume from replay savegames, for long distance races. It allows you to resume the race from any time. This goes much further than the GTR2 savegames.

rF2 is a dedicated modding platform with real-time Dev Mode and gJED, Modern packaging system (standardized way of installing/uninstalling mods that won't break your install and prevents online mismatches), Multiplayer with auto-downloading of mods, Steam Workshop support, among many other things.
And this is just the tip of the iceberg.

It's confusing though...
Maybe a very stupid question, but...
I don't get why some Brazilian developers would work on rFactor 1 engine instead of developing mods for rFactor 2?:O_o:
Because rFactor 2 wasn't available for licensing, they are already familiar with rFactor 1 and prefer to work with its much simpler tire model.

Last edited:
Seem like you are trying to sell it ;) I'm looking for a new sim too after assetto corsa and honestly since all this titles are anyway on high level, what bothers me is if the multiplayer is still alive.

1. Automobilista FRetro plus amazing tracks and ease of use is all you need for the rest of your life. No need for mods. Incredible AI.
2. Assetto Corsa >= 1.5 + Vintage Supercars + Nords + BCC
3. rF1 HistorX 911 @ Machwerk
4. GTR2 P&G Boss 302 @ Standard tracks + Goodwood
5. rF2 Maverick @ Lester

If you like the V8 Supercars you should definitely pick-up AMS. Patrick Giranthon is adding a quality circuit every week or two at present. Apart from some conversions from GSCE I doubt there will be that many car mods for AMS just because Reiza are working on a new sim for next year so in theory its life is short.

I drive AC a lot and it has many good features but it still misses a lot of racing features that AMS and RF2 (and older sims) have. There are a lot of car mods for AC but many are outdated (on old tyre models, fmod versions, etc.) and also maybe because of the demands of making a good looking mod for AC there are many car mods in production but not so many actually released. You can find versions of most tracks for AC. The mod tracks are mixed quality but the Kunos ones are top rank. The AI in AC is way better than it used to be but still not great on lap 1 and certainly not as good in general as RF2/AMS and often very poor on mod tracks.

RF2 can look good if you have a decent set-up and has the best AI and in theory the best physics. There are good mods for GT3/LMP but other eras can be very thin on the ground. Most tracks are converted from RF1, some are good but a lot are pretty average and often out of date.

I think you should definitetly get AMS and stick with your older sims for historics and if/when those mods come out for AC then get it then.

About rFactor 2 being the "most moddable", hmm...
I keep reading comments from modders complaining that it's actually one of the hardest games to mod...

AC seems to be the best about this.
It's only a few years old and it already has 10 times the content that rFactor 1 had after the same amount of time in the 2000s.
I can't imagine what it'll become in the next years.
It's really one of the main, if not THE main reason it's my to-go simulation for now.

Just to "test" the A.I., I should try the latest version of rFactor 2 though.
Maybe it improved since the last time I played it.

I notice that for once, nobody mentions Project Cars. It feels good.:laugh:

About rFactor 2 being the "most moddable", hmm...
I keep reading comments from modders complaining that it's actually one of the hardest games to mod...

AC seems to be the best about this.
It's only a few years old and it already has 10 times the content that rFactor 1 had after the same amount of time in the 2000s.
I can't imagine what it'll become in the next years.
It's really one of the main, if not THE main reason it's my to-go simulation for now.

Just to "test" the A.I., I should try the latest version of rFactor 2 though.
Maybe it improved since the last time I played it.

I notice that for once, nobody mentions Project Cars. It feels good.:laugh:
AC has no well estamblished mods. There are no mods used properly online in AC either. It's just try a mod for a day and move onto the next thing afair. It says a lot about quality.
rF2 has well known, well estamblished, industry leading mods at forefront in a lot of well organized competitions.

How about URD mods?
Also did you download mods from RD and try them?

"industry leading"... lol fanboys always like to write that. :roflmao:
I dont want to fight man. You didnt even read the comment ahead of your post, it clearly clarified everything you wrote wrongly. I tried to put it in simpler words for you, but you can't understand, it needs to be even simpler. I'm sorry there's no help for you from me. You've clearly spent all your time already in AC and next to no time in rF2, while I've in total spent more time in AC so far.. so much fanboy you are, please don't bother replying. You can't speak to me without causing a fight.

lol I love this guy.
EVERY sentence of his last comment is actually kinda insulting and then he says I'm causing a fight.
You're right, end of the story.
We're clearly wasting time here if we can't talk seriously.

Oh and I did read the comment above mine... It's funny how much you like to assume things...
Says a lot about your personality...
I didn't reply to it cos there's was nothing to add, period. The guy knows his stuff.

I'm outta here, ciao bello.

Oh not again this never ending story of which sim is best...
There is no perfect sim. Try them all and choose what suit you.
Personally I chose AC as my main sim. It's not the best in all areas but I think it has the most complete package = true road cars + laserscanned tracks + awesome physics/ffb + decent sounds + good netcode + solid graphics + many leagues + many servers . Successful recipe.

Also have rF2, because I believe that this sim is impressive as seen programmatically view . Everyone that likes sims as hobby, had to own this.

I also have R3H , AMS but I rarely play them since I believe that they are inferior from 2 mentioned.

I would say that my free time goes to AC 85% and rest 15% to rF2.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back